Producers BEWARE and ...(Producers MUST READ!!)

fam-
if anything your initial post sounds like a motivational speech. your rather elitist but submissive speech suggests that american producers are too dense to handle any sort of business/transaction. however youre ignoring other environmental, social and whole lotta variables involved within the transaction. you have absolutely no idea what sort of relationship they already have or the hell is even going on their lives....everything you stated in your post are biased assumptions and obvious realities. if the producer is not using his social card than its apparent that he/she is in fact a fool. youre nearly belittling everyone in way.
and your referral about kanye doesnt make any sense and is unrealistic to begin with therefore i cant even take your example seriously.

youre trying to intervene within a dimension thats not fit for humans. and i do not mean that in any negative way. ultimately the ones that will shine will shine and the rest will tumble. hopefully if you fit in the latter, you will come back to earth with a reasonable rational and find other means to live life.
anyways im not hating on you so pls dont take offense.
peace!

aiight shoord, ima stop posting on this because apparently you dont get it.. its your career not mine. Glad 95% of the fp community rocked wit me and understood where i was comin from. You can look at it how you want.

i try all of this but still turn out with not that much of a result... i know i have good quality work (www.primetymemusic.com) but why i cant get the artist to buy the beat beats me... smh most of them want more outcome for them but put less than 20% input for beats and all...

Last edited:
If ur gonna give out free beats for promo, whether via mailing list or not, then leave your producer tag in them. That way when the artist does his demo or viral vid or spreads the single on twitter, your tag is in the beat and other artists will hear who did the beat. If the beat is hot then people will be interested. Simple word of mouth style marketing using social media in conjunction with your music!

i try all of this but still turn out with not that much of a result... i know i have good quality work (www.primetymemusic.com) but why i cant get the artist to buy the beat beats me... smh most of them want more outcome for them but put less than 20% input for beats and all...

its probably your approach.. read up on marketing and closing a sale! Just becuase we make music doesnt mean we should neglect basic sales and marketing principals. Also, are you doin everything you can do? Think about it, ask your self.. am i really grinding? Becuase making a few twitter post and making a few beats a week wont cut it to be honest. I make a decent amount of money on and off line.. but i do work EXTREMELY hard. No joke!

Search for spektor in FP forum

Thats what Ive been talking about all this time...........I know artists under a labesl who get free beats WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my situation I make beats purely as a hobby so everything I make is public domain. Who knows though, maybe in the future more people will take interest and then I'll start putting up a price. For now I just want feedback on my work.

No Free Beats since I started this shit. I can tell you there is truly no advantage in giving something away for free unless is in exchange for production credit with well known artists, or publishing... beyond on that I totally agree.

Man....This has got to be the greatest post in the world. lol FINALLY someone else who shares the same vision. I've been posting hear in posts about the same thing. Im glad you made this and it grew so much.

Cats just dont realize this is a business. You wont walk inside the mall and say "im going to take this jacekt for free." No your going to get arrested. You pay or your dont recieve. I love music, I love production and engineering. Whether I never make another dollar again I will still do it until I part this world. However that doesnt mean im going to devalue myself. The amount of time reading posts/blogs/books on mixing, monitoring, acoustics, classes I take (instead of my actual major), traveling out of town to music conferences, upgrading equipment, the list goes on....

If an artist cant afford a $35 non-exclusive license then there full of shit because them J's on there feet cost 3x that. I used to do the "free/promo" beats when I was getting my name out there. I no longer do this as my name has substantial rep now and i work hard for it. This .99c 10 for $10 has got to stop. (I know it wont) but its still something to hope for. Thats literally working less than mimimum wage. Each Producer should take pride in their work. Im sure you all have heard the line "man i want to work with you, you've got dope material." Then once you tell them your rates they say "imma let you know,/get back to you."

If you as an artist cant invest in YOURSELF you dont deserve to even consider yourself as an artist and need to relequish the mic to someone else who does. Of course it isnt the 90's which is funny because I would think that the money would increase, not decrease. Im developing and managing my own two artists and although im working with them I still try and maintain material for my other clients.

People ask me can you sample this and give it to me...No I cant. Im very busy and if your not paying then quite frankly thats disrespectful to me as a person and to the role as a producer/engineer. These "artists" want people to buy there mixtapes, come to there shows and PAY but cant even put the producers name as a credit. TF?! I dont get it. your single would be nothing if some producer didnt make it. Of course nowadays artists are producers and vice versa. Everyone is teachers but no one are students.

If you dont want to pay go work with someone else. Website design/upgrades/data storage/travel fees/promotion and all of that isnt FREE; even if you do it all yourself. So for you to say "man $35 non exclusive is a lot" but your ass is at a drake concert where tickets are $150+ your full of shit.

Pardon the rant. Im just glad @yoTrakkz posted this. These cats have NO IDEA of what it takes to make it. MONEY. The XXL Freshmen list isnt comprised of the "best" its comprised of people who had the money and paid for a slot. Radio promotion is PAID for, not cause you have a hot song. Smh...if these cats only knew......

right...that shit had absolutely NOTHING to do with SKILLS...that shit was all business / politics...

Yes...It is business/politics. Its to help create more of a buzz for them so why would they not have to pay??? Any artist signed isnt because they have talent primarily. Its because they can fill up a stadium and sell units. Talent is the smallest portion in this whole industry.

Back