Producer\Production Points!!!

emsiwun said:
"But just because you made the beat, doesn't mean you produced the song."

and just because you produced the song doesn't mean you made the beat.

also, "cross collateralization" is not a particularly difficult concept...

"cross collateralization" = If you (i.e., artist, producer, etc) have more than one project with the same company (i.e., record label, production company, etc), that company can recoup advances/costs for one project from the other project.

for example, lets say you have 2 albums (album "x" and album "y") out and they both have recoupable advances equalling $10,000 each.

Album "x" sells nothing.

Album "y" sells enough to earn advances totalling $25,000.

That means you will get $5,000.

Why?

Because, of that $25,000:

$10,000 went towards recouping the advances of album "y"

$10,000 went towards recouping the advances of album "x"

$5,000 is left over and goes to you

you see, the money earned from album "y" work towards recouping (i.e., paying back) the advances from album "x"

...sometimes a contract will have a clause stating that there will be "no cross collateralization"... then each album only works to pay off its own advances.

most albums give 5-8 points for all producers to split, but SRLP is $10.99 nowadays also, so you still getting 3-4 cent a song, lol. points suck. I just got a $12.60 Royalty check. But I do a indie album for MC Git Busy who sells 10,000 copies I make 5-6gs.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
most albums give 5-8 points for all producers to split, but SRLP is $10.99 nowadays also, so you still getting 3-4 cent a song, lol. points suck. I just got a $12.60 Royalty check. But I do a indie album for MC Git Busy who sells 10,000 copies I make 5-6gs.

so i take it u were not listed has a writer. was it work for hire? simpily people only get paid the amount that is agreed on paper

Patrizio said:
Damn D.... Do u not get that much major placement?
dwells said:
so i take it u were not listed has a writer. was it work for hire? simpily people only get paid the amount that is agreed on paper
No, it's just majors sell the same as indies nowadays, and the difference is 4 cents and album vs. 65 cent. If I put the record out myself, I'm getting about $7. That's why I wave points for more upfront money. I'm sure you'll say it's dumb, but I'd rather see 10gs now than $12.60 for the rest of my life.

come on dude I see the logic..... $12.60

Why don't they just get rid of that flawed system... It's sucks for producers... Why don't they just ask for the money upfront? There are only a few artist that you should only take points from....

I'm probably gonna take that approach because you usually don't see heavy royalties from an artist anyways, so the only money you might see is that so-called advance monies.

Yeah, tons of bad releases that sell under 40,000. Albums like Jin, Ruff Ryders Vol. 4, Rhymefest, J.R. Writer, even better sales with more expenses like Kelis & Remy Martin, lol, people couldn't have made more than $500-600 in royalties off of any of those.

Not from bad contracts or not getting credited, it's just the money wasn't there. At the same time, I'm sure Nitty's close to if not a millionaire off Yung Joc royalties alone.

this is a pretty good topic...but i just got some questions...where the hell did yall learn all this at?? **** after reading this i realized i didnt know as much as i thought I did

I learned it from getting "jerked" at least I thought I was, running up in labels acting ignorant wanting money that wasn't owed to me, and ruining business relationships that could've furthered my career.

9 times out of 10 when musicians say they're leaving a label because the money ain't right, it's because they don't understand what they're supposed to be paid and the money is right.

Notice Blink182 or Britney Spears stay on the same label their whole career when everyone is making 100s of millions off of them, but average rapper switches labels every other album. Average rapper is too uneducated to understand such simple mathematical equations and end up living out of their financial means.

Last edited:
DatBoyCharmN said:
this is a pretty good topic...but i just got some questions...where the hell did yall learn all this at?? **** after reading this i realized i didnt know as much as i thought I did

i learned this from:

a. having been an attorney for a very large indie label

b. being a full time professional artist/composer/producer myself (for the past 10 years-- been doing it for way longer than that but have been pro for the last 10) and having contracts regarding my own music and other peoples records I produced.

but If you want to learn about this stuff, read "This Business Of Music" by William Krasilovsky, and read "all you need to know about the music business" by Donald Passman

Last edited:
My mentor is a music business consultant, I have good friends who have major experence, I've been producing for 7 years

been doin this for a LONG time...

I helped run an Indie lable with my brother...I actually handled logistics and paperwork. I actually Typed/Revised ALL of our contracts. Some of those contracts were done COMPLETELY from scratch without templates. I was chosen for that job because it was one of my talents...

I don't just write songs/music...I can write ANYTHING...I have done proposals, campaign speeches, and numerous other "Official" documents...

There is NO substitute for EXPERIENCE...back when I first started this I was given a VERY long contract to consider... It had to be something like 30 pages. I FORCED myself to read it...been messing with contracts ever since...lol.

Knowledge is a LOT easier to attain these days...but there will be LOTS of reading.....LOTS (lol)

PEACE

Solid thread but I still find myself a bit confused....

I've got beats copyrighted, registered with BMI, ready to go. If someone wants to buy a beat of mine, what am I selling? Am I selling away COMPLETE publishing rights? Do I split the songwriter's portion or the publisher's piece? Do I get Producer credit and no songwriting credit? I heard the parts about advances and I feel that...it's the other stuff!!

H E L P!! I'm tired of working for a living!!

Blaknyte said:
Solid thread but I still find myself a bit confused....

I've got beats copyrighted, registered with BMI, ready to go. If someone wants to buy a beat of mine, what am I selling? Am I selling away COMPLETE publishing rights? Do I split the songwriter's portion or the publisher's piece? Do I get Producer credit and no songwriting credit? I heard the parts about advances and I feel that...it's the other stuff!!

H E L P!! I'm tired of working for a living!!

There are SEVERAL different WAYS you can sell a song...

1) you can sell it "outright" as in a "work-for-hire" agreement...
This means you no longer have ANY rights to the material...if the material is something that you have already copywritten then those copyrights will need to be reassigned...

2)you can ALLOW someone to use the song in several ways....exclusive/non-exclusive...
Depending on your notariety and "Track Record" you can command a certain amount of money to be paid up front...
YOU matain OWNERSHIP of the material....(Copyright for the SONG ITSELF is in YOUR name...although the lable will STILL copyright the SOUND RECORDING in most cases)
You get the writers publishing royalties you are entitled to...
Some lables will offer points off the album sales also...This is typically the way things get done in the industry...

there is much more to this....You gotta read up on things...

Nothing is "written in stone" and EVERYTHING is negotiable...

Hop this helps
PEACE
BBM

Last edited:
BigBrotherMotown said:
I helped run an Indie lable with my brother...I actually handled logistics and paperwork. I actually Typed/Revised ALL of our contracts. Some of those contracts were done COMPLETELY from scratch without templates. I was chosen for that job because it was one of my talents...

I don't just write songs/music...I can write ANYTHING...I have done proposals, campaign speeches, and numerous other "Official" documents...

There is NO substitute for EXPERIENCE...back when I first started this I was given a VERY long contract to consider... It had to be something like 30 pages. I FORCED myself to read it...been messing with contracts ever since...lol.

Knowledge is a LOT easier to attain these days...but there will be LOTS of reading.....LOTS (lol)

PEACE

so how much would you charge if i wanted you to make a contract for me??? just for future references

It depends...

Something basic...I could pull up a simple template and if I didn't have to make many changes...I would probably E-Mail it to you for nothing...

Something more complex will cost a little more...If I had to do the whole thing from scratch (Which is NOT fun) that might cost you about 15 or 20 bucks a PAGE....

It all depends....but I would rather point you towards the proper resources than do the contracts myself...I did them in the past because I had no choice....but now...I'd rather not...lol

BBM

BigBrotherMotown said:
Something basic...I could pull up a simple template and if I didn't have to make many changes...I would probably E-Mail it to you for nothing...

Something more complex will cost a little more...If I had to do the whole thing from scratch (Which is NOT fun) that might cost you about 15 or 20 bucks a PAGE....

It all depends....but I would rather point you towards the proper resources than do the contracts myself...I did them in the past because I had no choice....but now...I'd rather not...lol

BBM

ic ic...well theres an entertainment law firm here that charges between $100-$300 for a contract...do you think thats reasonable??

$100-300 is pretty cheap, but check their track record alot of lawyers claim to be entertainment lawyers, but ain't done anything

dwells said:
$100-300 is pretty cheap, but check their track record alot of lawyers claim to be entertainment lawyers, but ain't done anything

well its a real law firm...but I don't know if they've really done anything with entertainment law seeing as how its a local firm and there aren't really any local artists doing anything...or if they are they don't have lawyers...so i don't know

Back