Was My Music Stolen?

PhillipSchlosser

a.k.a Hephestos
Hey everyone, I need your help.
Yesterday I got a comment on my track (beat) on thesixtyone: someone claiming he heard it being used in a rap song; a few hours later another person also says he'd heard it in a track.
Now, I'm desperately searching for that song or any info, I am not selling or leasing this beat, it's more like an instrumental single, that's why I'd really like to know who took it.

[MP3]http://thehierarchy.bplaced.net/stuff/Phillip Schlosser - Sun's Rising (Sample).mp3[/MP3] "Phillip Schlosser - Sun's Rising"
Here is a snippet of my beat (i posted this snippet to prove I'm not just click-whoring :D)

If you have heard this song, PLEASE let me know!
Thanks so much ♥
Phil

I get those comments every now and then...

Soundcloud is not secure.

If you have music on that site that you do not want compromised do yourself a favor and remove it.

The web is littered with leech sites allowing people to download your music directly off of their stream.

Since my stuff is tagged it doesn't bother me that much but it still is a bummer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Haven't heard the clip. Did anyone give you a heads-up as to where you can find the artist's use of your song?

They said it could have been MGK (checked his latest songs, found nothing) or some "STL rapper" no idea what this means haha
here are the comments on the track
Thanks for any help!!

if the stolen version is officially released, you could try running your own music through shazam or soundhound a few times.

if the stolen version is officially released, you could try running your own music through shazam or soundhound a few times.

Thats a super idea, actually. Do you think slight alterations another producer adds - like extra HH or a background arp - would throw off the search?

Programs like shazam often work by firstly identifying the pitch. Therefore i would recommend playing your track in different keys for shazam. Hope the best for you!

Shazam sounds like a good idea. That beat is pretty generic though so you think people might have just heard something similar and thought it was yours just cause they heard it before?

No shade intended, the beat is actually really really really nice, it's just the sounds are all really popular right now. :cheers: The fact that it could be mistaken for something on the radio or something could be a compliment

This kinda shit is sorta scary to read, the thought of having tunes stolen would really suck! Copywrite your tracks so that if someone did steal your shit you could take legal action

F**k tags. If they sound cool, fine, but for protection in 2014, lol, ever? Your music on soundcloud is time stamped. Just as good as a copyright when the time comes to prove you're the original composer. If you have the original files for the song as well, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

If you don't hear the song, it doesn't exist. What I mean by that is, people worry about every little local f**k who can attain their beat from the net and record a song 12 people hear...you'll hear it if it's a big enough deal that you should worry about your song being used.

Last edited:
I'm hoping and praying for the right person to steal a track from me. Especially if they make money, register ALL of your material on the US copyright website.

U.S. Copyright Office

Its like $50 to copyright an mp3 "collection of work." They allow you to submit up to like 108, 3 minute long mp3's at a time. Immediately after they are uploaded they are copy written, there is like a 5 or 6 month processing time but the website says you are safe even during the process time.

You get an e-mail saying they are yours as well as being mailed an official paper copy with the title of all your work on it.

Once you've done that, not even Robert Kardashian can take you down (if copied 100%). There are "fair use" and sample laws but at that point, it's not that they stole the whole thing, its about what portion. None the less, learn the copyright process and protect yourself!

who cares if someone rapped on your beat

are they making millions

nope

**** trap music while im at it

I'm hoping and praying for the right person to steal a track from me. Especially if they make money, register ALL of your material on the US copyright website.

U.S. Copyright Office

Its like $50 to copyright an mp3 "collection of work." They allow you to submit up to like 108, 3 minute long mp3's at a time. Immediately after they are uploaded they are copy written, there is like a 5 or 6 month processing time but the website says you are safe even during the process time.

You get an e-mail saying they are yours as well as being mailed an official paper copy with the title of all your work on it.

Once you've done that, not even Robert Kardashian can take you down (if copied 100%). There are "fair use" and sample laws but at that point, it's not that they stole the whole thing, its about what portion. None the less, learn the copyright process and protect yourself!

why is that everyone who lives in the USA think that everyone else does as well???

if you do not live in the USA then you should investigate how you go about securing your copyright according to your national laws, most countries that derive their legal framework from Great Britain have an automatic copyright existing in any work once it exists in a physical format with the (c) symbol and year attached. European countries have their own statutes as do African and Asian nations and those of South America too

this wikipedia link is a good starting point for information on treating copyright in other countries ~ International copyright treaties

Last edited:
why is that everyone who lives in the USA think that everyone else does as well???

whitehot.jpg

#NuffSaid

Programs like shazam often work by firstly identifying the pitch. Therefore i would recommend playing your track in different keys for shazam. Hope the best for you!

(are you sure? it will pick out a song in a dj set as far as i'm concerned, where it is likely to be pitch shifted up or down, so it should be pitch independent, and analyzing the relationship of harmonic content rather than absolute pitch values...)

Always make sure you copyright your stuff, and don't just post it without protecting it first. If this artist starts making money from it, then you get some publicity and money from the ordeal. It is also possible that your song just sounds similar to another track. This happens ALLLL the time. I've made some beats that I never showed anyone, and then heard tracks on the radio that sound very similar years later.

Back