International Intellectual Property

M-Jab

Greetings Future Producers,

I'm living in Saudi Arabia and been making music for some time. I want to start publishing my music in the
near future and have gone through topics of copyrighting, publishing, licensing etc. I've researched
them but came across more than one narrative, so I'd like to know the best and guaranteed routes to take from people who protect and publish/license their music from abroad or those knowledgeable about the subject

Your subject is a bit too broad. Can you narrow things down to a topic with a specific question or two?

GJ

Your subject is a bit too broad. Can you narrow things down to a topic with a specific question or two?

GJ

Well, I want to publish/license my music but I got to know that companies that take care of that for you have nothing to do with copyrighting the work. I'm targeting western audiences and artists and would like to know what international body/law is concerned with protecting intellectual property.
Let's say you're in America and someone in Denmark infringes on your work; what authority would you resort to, and under what law, agreement or act would your work be protected.

Publishers have much to do with copyright. All about it, actually. Under various types of agreements with varying parameters, they administer copyrights of songs as to exploit the song in a business sense for maximum profit, for both the publisher and the songwriter(s).

Licensing agencies work to exploit the song in one or a few narrow areas; i.e., synch licensing for film and television, and their contracts are “across the board” in terms of provisions. In other words, read everything carefully before you sign, and have it reviewed by an attorney specializing in international intellectual property/entertainment law.

There are many and varied agreements between the US and other countries, and other countries that have only the barest of agreements or statutory compliance with intellectual property laws. Again, it’s a huge subject. Get lots of books, research, and get an entertainment attorney. Make sure that you carefully review the “accounting provisions” of any contract that you are thinking of signing (in other words, how, when/how often, and who is allowed to audit these publishers or agencies on your behalf to make sure you get all of the money you deserve?)...

GJ

Last edited:
Back