How to protect beats without copyrighting?

S

Str8rep

Hey folks

I want to upload some beats for people to listen. But don't wanna deal with copyrighting bureaucracy yet. Is there an alternative to protect my work, so I can upload safely?

not officially
I would upload my session files to the cloud at least
but the whole point of
REGISTERING your COPYRIGHT is for protection
and you can upload a group of recordings at once
read here

Hey folks

I want to upload some beats for people to listen. But don't wanna deal with copyrighting bureaucracy yet. Is there an alternative to protect my work, so I can upload safely?

So does music have some sort of protection when uploaded on the cloud?

Last edited:
So does music have some sort of protection when uploaded on the cloud?

I didn't say upload your music to the cloud I said upload your SESSION FILES also known as PROJECT FILES
it's additional protection

and to tell you the truth if someone steals your beat
most likely it would be a bedroom rapper and if that bedroom rapper makes a song maybe less than 10 ppl will hear it
this happens all the time
they will rap over your tag they don't care
only real protection is through the Library of Congress
and this protection of REGISTERING your COPYRIGHT is only good if a song using your stolen beat blows up!!!

the importance of registering your copyright read more here

I didn't say upload your music to the cloud I said upload your SESSION FILES also known as PROJECT FILES
it's additional protection

most likely it would be a bedroom rapper and if that bedroom rapper makes a song maybe less than 10 ppl will hear it
they will rap over your tag they don't care
only real protection is through the Library of Congress
and this protection of REGISTERING your COPYRIGHT is only good if a song using your stolen beat blows up!!!

the importance of registering your copyright read more here

Thanks, that made it more clear for me.

So I went to soundcloud and tried to upload my reason file there, which didn't succeed. Can you explain a bit more in depth how do I put my sessions there?

To add to fatal's comments if you live in the USA then yes the library of Congress is the only way to protect your copyrights,

Other countries have other requirements/mechanisms for copyright protection so make sure you are using the one that relates to where you live rather than blindly following advice from someone who has forgotten that the internet is a worldwide phenomenon

Thanks, that made it more clear for me.

So I went to soundcloud and tried to upload my reason file there, which didn't succeed. Can you explain a bit more in depth how do I put my sessions there?

by cloud, fatal means some form of on-line storage like dropbox or goodledrive or whatever. Soundcloud does not normally take non-audio files for storage

Last edited:
unlike your home computer the timestamps on cloud storage are generally not challenged as being able to be changed to your advantage - most cloud storage providers have alegal obligations to maintain strict timestamping protocols, even resorting to a single, central, timestamp clock that all machines in the facility use to synchronise time across all servers in the facility

So what storage do you guys recommend?

Let's say I have uploaded for listeners a beat that isn't copyrighted and somebody wants to buy it. Will I have to get copyrights before selling? And are there any other options?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say not to upload instrumentals that you don't plan on selling if that's your goal
I upload instrumentals to Soundcloud to share and use it as a tool for networking with other media companies,producers,and artists.
I place the instrumentals I want
to sell on my website in my beatstore

Dropbox is what I use 2gigs free

Let's not forget famous producers stealing beats too... (even from other well-known producers lol)

Let's not forget famous producers stealing beats too... (even from other well-known producers lol)

that why I said uploading your session/project files to the cloud is additional protection to the registering of the copyright(s)

a lot of producers are worrying about this at a stage when most don't even care about their instrumentals

yes it's good to have protection and shouldn't be down played but keep things in perspective for your production company and do things in stages as in importance to growing that production company

Last edited:
Technically if you have the time stamps, or files (evidence) on you're computer you should be fine. However, if the time comes where you spotsomeone using your beats you should get that specific beat copyrighted then file for copyright infringement. Tags do work though and can help you recognize if your beats when they're being misused, BUT from my understanding, do not insure rights without copyrighting it right away. Poor man's copyrights btw is not necessary and is practically a myth.

soundcloud.com/blackjohn

Technically if you have the time stamps, or files (evidence) on you're computer you should be fine. However, if the time comes where you spotsomeone using your beats you should get that specific beat copyrighted then file for copyright infringement. Tags do work though and can help you recognize if your beats when they're being misused, BUT from my understanding, do not insure rights without copyrighting it right away. Poor man's copyrights btw is not necessary and is practically a myth.

soundcloud.com/blackjohn

I have to disagree tags use to work..they no longer work I know plenty of audio engineers who will chop out the tag and re-loop the beat for a artist for a fee which is cheaper than actually buying the beat from you ...best bet for any producer is to network with artists on less superficial level

Last edited:
Wow lol...it seems like they're going all out on stealing an individual's craft nowadays. I wouldn't doubt that people would go that far though, but I would still consider using a tag for safety purposes. Then again, an individual should be ableto recognize their own beat, tag, or not. Appreciate the response btw.

Wow lol...it seems like they're going all out on stealing an individual's craft nowadays. I wouldn't doubt that people would go that far though, but I would still consider using a tag for safety purposes. Then again, an individual should be ableto recognize their own beat, tag, or not. Appreciate the response btw.

Back