How to promote yourself as a mixing engineer?

themixspace

Mixing Engineer
I've recently finished my Music Production degree at University and have decide I would like to pursue a career as a mixing engineer. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I can promote myself as a mixing engineer to potential clients.

I have a website (theres a link in my signature, a Facebook page, Twitter, SoundCloud and business cards. I've been promoting myself online as well as putting my business cards in local music stores, but I don't really know how I should approach people online.

I've worked with a number of clients over the past 2 years but the quantity of incoming work seems to be going down, any suggestions?

Congrads on finishing school.

As a mix engineer if you choose not to go the 'work in a studio under more experienced engineers route to gain more knowledge and make your own name for yourself' then you have to market your skills just like any producer or artist would trying to do it on their own.

You have a website and I am sure you have a demo reel, so now you have to bang on doors and hopefully get a break and get to mix something for a major.

Your resume is just as important as your reel, so who you mixed for in the past will help you with your sales in the future. Keep in mind being able to show your name on a major project gives you creditability. Creditability means you can advertise your services less but still get paying jobs.

I would say work in a studio gain some connects and more knowledge. If you do a good job and make a name for yourself you will have people contacting you for work. Also I would say about 50% of what I know as an engineer now came after I left school and started working in studios on theres that too.

Good luck man.

Use your on and offline social networks to market your services, maintain fairs prices , and promote those you work with by posting their content online and getting our feedback; after the music has already released, of coarse.

Don't be one of "those" engineers.

You know, the ones who claim to know the ins or outs of a mix. Yet, after hearing their work, you remain unsatisfied because it didn't turn out the way you wanted it. And when you send the track back for touch ups, the engineer has an attitude because somehow affected his artistic feelings. Please do this instead: finish the mixes to the best of your ability by the due date. Opportunities can be missed due to the engineer who takes too long or gets to attached to the song.

Maybe this is because most audio engineers wear the hat producers too. Therefore I recommend putting packages together and creating an online store. Take your payment using PayPal's billing methods. Get an iPhone or a Droid so that you can access your website from virtually anywhere, if you don't have one already. Load your demo mp3's to the device so you can always have your music with you. Go to local shows and events and network with people. You'll need money, transportation to and from, and the courage to approach businesses who hire or work with performers. You're number one goal should be to show your ability to satisfied customers.

Good Luck!
:cheers:

I suggest going on reverbnation, soundclick, soundcloud, etc etc, and finding artists that you think could benefit from better mixes. Make sure they look serious. Then, what you do is contact them, BUT NOT ABOUT YOUR SERVICES! Ask them,

Hey man,
I had a listen to your tracks, a lot of them are really nice. What are your goals as a musician/artist?

Depending on their answer back, you pitch to them. They say they wanna get signed or go indie or whatever, you hit em back like well, if you really want to advance in the industry i think you could benefit from cleaner mixes. bla bla bla i offer bla bla i can do one track for free, so you can see how much better it is, i have this showcase bla bla, im sure you know that part. Thats some tips from postman. Seems like a real good way to weed out ppl not serious and unwilling to pay, and a really good way to build a relationship with those who are willing.

There's some great advice here. Thank you everyone who has commented. alxgry, I'm going to try your tactic of finding artists to work with.

Back