How to promote your music - here are some working methods

If you want to sell or license your tracks AND promote them at the same time, you should check out this new site: needajingle.com.

It's free for artists and let's you promote your tracks by pitching on actual music placements (licensing) in advertising, film etc.

- Develop a clear visual identity. Cloning won't help here.

- Do not overload people with tons of text, artificial photo shoots and countless pixelated youtube videos. Music first.

- Buy ads. Very easy, very cheap and offers endless possibilities on the web.

- Buy ad space in music magazines to massively increase your chances to get featured by their editors (yes, that's how it works - also online).

- Adapt the marketing activities to a specific audience (the smaller the better), not the world.

A VERY important tool is a properly sorted mailing list ("newsletters") for different audiences: press & taste-makers, bloggers, fans, previous customers, etc.

This is absolutely essential and much more effective than passive promotion.

Same here, do not spam!

Oh and another thing might also help. Throw all your "good enough" productions away and hide them in a safe. Present yourself with absolutely killer productions only. It's a very easy step.

:)

These Are All Great Tips Thank You! Especially That Last One.

May I ask why this isn't a sticky? It's got waaaay more views and replies than any of the stickys including the marketing one, it's clearly popular..so why not? just curious..

1) post date of 05-18-2010
2) most f the responses are great work, good lookin' or similar
3) some of the methods are no longer viable, others border on spamming or other dubiously legal activities
4) it would be better to distil what is in here into a new single thread that is locked

ultimately someone would need to take the content and construct a better post for stickying

Cool advices, i see you have talk about youtube, just commenting other videos but i think there are few other ways to promote music via youtube. Its the main resource in today's music.

It seems that's an old thread but most of these methods are still valid today, good job. Don't forget to build an email list whatever you do so you can keep in touch with your fans and subscribers and promote any new music works.

Thank you for the tips man! New most of them but never thought of creating a blog. That is what I will do next.

Back