How To Get Over Writer's Block

djtaynoel44

[h=5] Hey what’s going on FP? I just wanted to share some of the ways I’ve gotten over writer’s/beat block in the past and even now. Artists and producers, I understand your frustration of either coming up with something great…but can’t find the final piece of the puzzle or just shooting nothing but blanks (shooting blanks haha). Most of us believe or even say something like “If only I had XYZ this would be better” or “Maybe I should sound like so and so”. To be completely honest, I learned that there really isn’t such thing as writer’s block, but there is such thing as burning out or fatigue. Which leads me to my first point:[/h]

[h=2]1) HOW TO SOLVE BURNOUT[/h]

[h=5] Like I mentioned above, there is such thing as burnout/fatigue and it’s easy to do. Trying to crank out as many songs or beats in a day not only burns you out, but also diminishes your final product. I use to do this a lot and often wondered why most of my music sounded sub par or even complete garbage…eww. When I started paying more attention to “Quality over Quantity” I noticed my focus level was a little better. To avoid burning out you will need to give yourself breaks like you would do at any job (unless you work at McDonald’s…they hate giving breaks haha). Anyway, giving your mind and ears a break from the music can be beneficial. You could simply step away and take a walk or just watch a couple of clips/listen to other artists/producers on YouTube. This allows you come back with fresh ears and even come up with better or new ideas which I will talk about more in point 2.[/h]

[h=2]2) LISTEN TO VARIOUS STYLES OF MUSIC [/h]

[h=5] I’ve been a music lover since the day I realized I can hear! So, I can technically listen to anything and enjoy it…only if it makes sense though! With that being said, we can benefit more from listening to styles of music outside of our own. You may not particularly like that style of music really, but every genre has it’s own uniqueness, which if you incorporated it into your music, it may can be the very piece you’re missing and help cultivate your own sound. Let’s be honest at the end of the day we all want to be original yet relevant at the same time. Just think if R&B and Hip hop stayed completely separate…we wouldn’t have many of the great songs we’ve grown up with. Take a moment and just live again without putting so much pressure on how particular your song/beat needs to sound. Last but not least:[/h]

[h=2]3) JUST LIVE![/h]

[h=5] Yea, I know this doesn’t seem beneficial for “making” music, but it actually is. Just think about it, when is the last time you just cut off your phone and went fishing? Or how about going to a park, movies with friends, bowling, dancing (I can’t dance), etc the list goes on. If it’s been while, and you feel stuck go have fun. Relax a little, because too much pressure on one thing can cause you to ruin it or even yourself. Making music is suppose to be fun, relaxing, stress-free. You should never have to force music, because if you are having to, you’re not making it for the right reasons.[/h][h=5] I hope this helped a little to at least bring back some of the motivation. It’s hard for us musicians, because no one would truly understand the process, long hours, stress, sleepless nights we put in to give to the world. So, just remind yourself daily (like I do myself) why you started in the beginning, and get back to that place so we can start having fun making music again
1f642.svg
[/h]

Back