How do producers blow up? I don't get it...

I'm really having a hard time understanding how producers "make it." It seems easier for rap-producers because it's as simple as selling/giving your beats to a rapper on the come up who blows up dragging you along with him. But for EDM, Future Bass, and a lot of the electronic genres that are instrumentals only, how do they blow up? The only outlets I know of to post music is Soundcloud and Bandcamp. Is this the only approach? Am I just suppose to post my tracks on my Soundcloud for my 100 followers and hope I end up getting a million plays? Whenever I read a producers bio it always starts with something like "His first EP wasn't too successful, however his second album relased on ____ records blah-blah-blah." But it never actually talks about the transition from being a bedroom producer to releasing tracks.

hardwork, dedication, teamwork, prayers, time, investment, etc. you gotta be willing to sacrifice somethings in order to make it in this game. i personally don't want to get too famous off of my music, i rather be the man behind the curtain and just receive those royalty checks in the mail. nowadays, all the game consists of is gimmicks. all you need is a hot beat, a catchy hook, some meaningless lyrics and you might get on. it sucks that it has to be this way but that's what a majority of these consumers want. they can't appreciate quality music anymore, let alone pay for it because they'll just rip it off of youtube.

I get all that, my question is how to you transition from finishing a track in your bedroom to getting plays. I don't have a fanbase, I have like ~100 followers on Soundcloud. I could spend 2 weeks on a track, upload it, and it might max out at 30 plays.

well the key to make it in this game is networking. not just on twitter, fb, IG, etc. i mean getting into producer showcases, meeting with producer managers, artists and their managers, etc. you have to put your music out there, has to be more then on soundcloud.

Fanbase growth is exponential. (i think it is anyway)
I'm using that word purely in the maths sense.
In exponential growth, the rate of increase is proportional to how big it is, i.e. having more fans means they will promote your music to more people.

The thing about exponential growth is it's slow to start with. If it's purely exponential then getting from 25 follows to 50 followers takes just as long as getting from 1 million to 2 million.
Have confidence and be patient.

It helps to be dedicated and put all your time into your music, but we can't all do that I guess

I completely agree with you on that, I'd say a good fraction of my followers are spam accounts anyway lol. I think my approach will be to start spending more time on individual tracks and focus on quality and not quantity. I've also noticed there are a lot of genre-specefic pages on soundcloud (RunTheTrap, DeepSounds etc.) that I could send my tracks too because they have like 500k followers. Music is hard because you have to figure out everything on your own lol

I get all that, my question is how to you transition from finishing a track in your bedroom to getting plays. I don't have a fanbase, I have like ~100 followers on Soundcloud. I could spend 2 weeks on a track, upload it, and it might max out at 30 plays.

Networking and Marketing, thats all, if you understand marketing and branding you could sell anything.

It all comes down to understanding the market you're trying to sell to, deliver a quality product that they want, and make sure enough people know about it and are so impressed by it they feel compelled to share it with others either on stage or through social media/word of mouth. If you make a substantial quality portfolio, you can send that to record labels that have the type of sound you're trying to market. The market is filled with noise, need to stand out to get noticed

Back