How do i collect royalties?

jay santana

how am i able to get royalties? how much does it cost to sign up with bmi and get royalties? im a producer and i want to start getting placements but i want to setup royalties first

If you found this forum you should be able to find info online about Publishing Rights Organizations.

Pretty sure that the "OP" here is also a known FP quantity. But in the interest of egalitarian fairness:

1) Sign-up with ASCAP or BMI (your choice), as a songwriter, or as a publisher (so you can have a place for all of the show business royalty cash to accumulate legally)

2) Write hit songs, then sign with a label that can promote them successfully

3) Collect checks through your chosen PRO (performance rights organization)-- these are for radio and TV play only; movie and other video sync is separate, and album/singles sales royalties are a contractual matter for you and your label/management/business hierarchy

!Voila! Instant royalties.

GJ

Last edited:
I tried signing with a PRO but it's really difficult to do outside the US.
You have to have some kind of tax number which requires sending your passport off to get legalised (isn't it already a legal document :bigeyes:?) which costs a few hundred dollars, or pounds in my case.
Then with the other stuff the total was racking up to a few hundred, which I can't justify at this point.

I dont get why they make it so difficult for people...not everyone lives in the US.
The other PROS outside the US have to invite you to be a member, you can't just join.

I tried signing with a PRO but it's really difficult to do outside the US.
You have to have some kind of tax number which requires sending your passport off to get legalised (isn't it already a legal document :bigeyes:?) which costs a few hundred dollars, or pounds in my case.
Then with the other stuff the total was racking up to a few hundred, which I can't justify at this point.

I dont get why they make it so difficult for people...not everyone lives in the US.
The other PROS outside the US have to invite you to be a member, you can't just join.

I'm from Germany and I'm signed with ASCAP. All you need to do is fill out a W-8Ben form and send it to them.

You can leave it blank. 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9 are all of the fields I filled out.

Hey I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few more questions.
On the website it says that if you don't have a US issued debit or credit card that you have to fill out another form and pay $75 for the processing of a foreign card (which seems ridiculous!)
Did you have to do this as well? It seems strange that they don't accept cards from other countries...I mean Visa is Visa!

Back