Copy Righting on the cheap...via Email?

Supreemwun

You listen I am
What do you think about this?
Could you leave a digital paper trail of a track that you did by emailing yourself the track via G-mail, Yahoo, hotmail, etc...there would actually be a time stamp that you could not faked by resetting your computers time. Would this work? Could this temporarily or permanently hold your time stamp of the date a track was created?

There have been umpteen threads about this.

Bottom line:

1. Forget that "Poor Man's Copyright" shit. They will NOT let you into court unless you have filed your copyright, and paid your fee(s).

2. The current fee, and the fact that you can do it over the internet, make it very attractive. Save your allowance/cut out the Starbucks/blunts for a week, and pay the $35 to send in a CD filled with pieces of your songs.

3. Your work is automatically copyrighted the moment you create it.

Last edited:

Bottom line:

1. Forget that "Poor Man's Copyright" shit. They will NOT let you into court unless you have filed your copyright, and paid your fee(s).

2. The current fee, and the fact that you can do it over the internet, make it very attractive. Save your allowance/cut out the Starbucks/blunts for a week, and pay the $35 to send in a CD filled with pieces of your songs.

Co-sign.

The fact is, the subject of needing to prove when you created something comes up over and over again, but it's mostly paranoia. (1) That type of situation is VERY rare and (2) most people don't understand evidence and how much evidence they already have to prove something. But the idea that anyone making music is going to some day be sitting in a court room trying to prove they were the original creator of a song is highly unlikely.

i wouldn't worry too much about copyrighting.

the fact of the matter is this:

you only need to worry about copyrighting when someone else is MAKING "BIG" MONEY from your shit W/ OUT permission.

i wouldn't worry about NOT HAVING A CASE if someone takes your shit and "blows up" from it.

in the court of civil law, all you need is a PREPONDERANCE OF EVIDENCE.

in other words, JUDGES AIN'T STUPID...and if your "story" & facts / evidence ADDS UP more than the defendants, you're gonna win.

again, that type of advice IS NOT "by the book"...what it IS is PRACTICAL.

$.02

Galacticboy is right in many ways.

The truth is that if you are working on music with musicians online then you should copyright (or prove copyright) everything. Especially if you plan at some stage to make money from your work. Proof of copyright stops crappy lawsuits from ever going to court and stops deputes in their track.

Anyway, with online services so cheap it really would be silly thinking to dismiss it for the sack of €1.
Here for example
******.com

€1 for a copyright and as long as you keep the copyright seal you download it will never cost you another cent. However, collaborate with someone online, they get it placed in a movie/sound track and "dismiss" your involvement then you are out of pocket big time!!
This is a smart mans copyright :)

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Bottom line:

There is only one benefit of registering a song with the U.S congress as well as using a copyright service like Emeraz. The U.S congress allows you to claim statutory damages for an infringement as well as actual damage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory_damages

It has always been advised by the U.S congress to have a file "Time Stamped" or copyrighted through a service like Emeraz before applying to the U.S congress as it can take 3-6 months (and $35 per work) to be covered with them. If granted the copy will extend back to the date of submission but since "Time Stamping" is much much cheaper and instant it really is a no-brainer. You will be covered in any court room for actual damages. Also, as I said above you will most likely stop any courtroom challenge as soon as you present a Time stamp as evidence.

Luckily in europe we don't need to worry about that, this service is as good as it gets over here :)

It has always been advised by the U.S congress to have a file "Time Stamped" or copyrighted through a service like **** before applying to the U.S congress as it can take 3-6 months (and $35 per work) to be covered with them.

Who has always advised this?
The US Copyright Office doesn't:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#poorman
ASCAP doesn't:
http://www.ascap.com/musicbiz/copyright_tips.html

If granted the copy will extend back to the date of submission but since "Time Stamping" is much much cheaper and instant it really is a no-brainer. You will be covered in any court room for actual damages.
You won't be covered in the US, because you cannot sue for copyright infringement without registering your copyright with the US Copyright Office.

Also, as I said above you will most likely stop any courtroom challenge as soon as you present a Time stamp as evidence.
"Most likely"? How many times has your company's "time stamp" been used by one of your customers in court as evidence? And how many times has it been successful?

In the US it's simple: You can't sue for infringement without registering your copyright with the US Copyright Office, and once you have a registration, it serves as prima facie evidence of ownership and date of creation. In other words, without a registration, any "time stamp" you pay for is useless, and with a registration, any "time stamp" you pay for is unnecessary.

Outside the US, the issue is rare, and if it does come up, you already have plenty of evidence just as good as some "time stamp" you pay for.

Sorry Galacticboy,

You can sue for actual damages in the US using "Time Stamping". If this were not the case then the U.S would be in breach of it's obligations under various W.I.P.O treaties. Regulations under these treaties must be adopted by all member states.

You are somewhat correct about having to register with the U.S. copyright office in order to sue for copyright infringement but thats simply part of the claim process and it is not the same as registering for statutory protection.

The differences is that when you know your copyright has been infringed, you register that claim, pay your fee and have your day in court.(but only for actual damages) Whereas if you register your song within the requisite time of publication and before infringement you obtain statutory protection which can mean that statutory damages are paid out.

Finally, I'm a song writer with over 100 songs, and 1000's of "sketches", I cannot afford to register all of these rights with the U.S. copyright office, it makes no economical sense, however using Emeraz provides cost effective proof that your work existed at a point in time and is evidentially admissible in court.

Luckily in Europe we don't need to worry about all that, our service is as good as it gets.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

"Most likely"? How many times has your company's "time stamp" been used by one of your customers in court as evidence? And how many times has it been successful?

The process has been 100% successful in that it has never contested when presented as evidence.

I will go with U.S. law school student > random Euro dude.

/thread

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Finally, I'm a song writer with over 100 songs, and 1000's of "sketches", I cannot afford to register all of these rights with the U.S. copyright office, it makes no economical sense, however using Emeraz provides cost effective proof that your work existed at a point in time and is evidentially admissible in court.

You are just shilling for Emeraz, emeraz.

It doesn't cost much do copyright songs. You can put multiple songs on a CD.

blah, blah, blah (paraphrased by dvyce)

gimme a break

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

I will go with U.S. law school student > random Euro dude.

...you can also go with dvyce... an actual US lawyer who was a staff attorney at a very large record company. (and as I always say... this is all just my opinion... take it as you will)

...there is no poor mans copyright or digital time stamping that will take the place of filing your copyright with the copyright office. (can you imagine anything easier to forge? I know I can't.)

Period.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Anyway, with online services so cheap it really would be silly thinking to dismiss it for the sack of €1.

Yeah, it is just $1 so it is so cheap, who cares if the service isn't worth a crap?...

It is so cheap, you might as well do it.

It would be silly not to!

Just send me $1 to www.ThrowYourMoneyAway.com...

You'll never miss that dollar anyway.

...and, besides, your music is so shitty that nobody will ever want to steal it in the first place-- so you'll never even know if the service works!

:sarcasm:

our time-stamps are created via advanced algorithms that cannot be cracked. We use two trusted third parties with three different hashing algorithms to create a unique digital finger print of your file/Mp3 which cannot be replicated. This hash value or digital finger print is then time-stamped by our trusted third parties simultaneously at various locations around the globe to substantiate the validity of the time-stamp in any court of law. If you think its easy to crack this process then please try, but please don't knock the validity of a technology which is used to support the security of financial transactions by banks and other financial institutions(amongst other things) without at least understanding it.

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

As far as nothing trumping a copyright from the U.S. copyright office, your absolutely right, but that only counts in the U.S. If you either live or work outside of the U.S. or want to protect your copyright outside of the U.S. then a valid time-stamp is a cost effective method of securing your I.P. rights.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Emeraz is run by musicians for musicians backed by international patents and a strong legal I.P. team consisting of professionals in multiple jurisdictions. If the type of time-stamping we offer was not already tried and tested then we wouldn't be here.

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Finally, Emeraz affords musicians the opportunity to collaborate with musicians from all over the world. The fear for most musicians in this environment is that while collaborating, someone might attempt to steal their idea/melody. Emeraz offer proof of copyright existing at a specific time and a place, by simply clicking a button instead of filling out a relatively time consuming and complicated form with the U.S. copyright office. This gives musicians the pace of mind to create something truly unique. For our U.S. users, think of the service as interim protection until you register the finished song with your copyright office but also see it as the most advanced and secure method of protecting your I.P. rights internationally. Believe it our not, International courts will not see a U.S. copyright certificate as absolute proof of copyright, if they did a similar system would operate in the E.U. and other W.I.P.O affiliate nations. Remember, your music has an international market via the web, its now time to start thinking outside of the box and securing your I.P. rights at an international level.

I would trust the "time stamp" of emailing it to yourself more than I trust the "time stamp" of some random website (i.e., yours or any other like it)... Yahoo/Gmail is much less susceptible to fraud.

As far as I can tell, no authoritative government body is vouching for your "time stamps"... There is no official governmental authority overseeing the validity and security of your service... and Copyright ("real" Copyright) is a governmental issue.

You shouldn't call what you are doing "Copyrighting"... that is not what it is. The term "Copyright" has very specific legal meaning. You are simply putting an unauthenticated "time stamp" on a file.

We have no way of knowing who is behind the scenes of any site like this, so there is no way of telling what sort of fraud or mismanagement is going on behind the scense (and that is what would be said in a court of law if your "time stamp" was used as evidence)...

What happens if/when you go out of business? then all your "time stamps" are in the garbage anyway...

...and your site says that if you no longer wish for your "copyrights" (can you even legally call them that? I do not think so) to be managed by you anymore (i.e., you don't want to continually pay for this service), you are given a "copyright seal"... a printed piece of paper that says "yup, I say this piece was time stamped"... doesn't sound to me like that will be of any legal value either.

I never said anything about "cracking" any algorithms... I said they are wide open to fraud.

US copyrights are honored nearly everywhere in the world (thanks to the Berne Convention, etc)... everywhere except Eritrea, Ethiopia and Afghanistan.

link: to Circular38a as it relates to Copyright protection in other countries

Your service and all others like it are exactly what is meant by "poor man's copyright".

etc, etc, etc...

Dvyce - You have made your point. Again, and without getting over technical, we live in an age where electronic security is paramount and there are very real reasons why e-mail alone is not reliable evidence. If this were not the case then the I.E.F.T.(Internet Engineers Task Force) would not advocate the use of PKI and e-Timestamping protocols that Emeraz have adopted to verify the authenticity of a file and the time it was created. Again, we are simply using technology that has been used to protect the security of EFTs in the banking and insurance sector, as well as by Governments all over the world for the last decade.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

You are correct in saying that we are not backed by any governmental body, the reason is that we are a private enterprise not a governmental agency. As a private body, if we were backed by any governmental agency, that would be a clear violation of Competition and Anti-trust law on both sides of the water. I don't know about you, but a lack of government "vouching" does not stop me from buying from i-tunes.
We do however fulfill all our legal obligation as a registered company with the CRO(company registers office)(E.U.) and our time-stamps comply with the framework for electronic signatures as developed by the 1996 W.I.P.O treaties and adopted by various legislation such as the E-Commerce Directive(2000) in the E.U, and The Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, (2000) in the U.S.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

As previously stated we provide "proof of copyright", the expression of the idea in any form is the actual copyright, we obviously do not purport to create copyright as the artist has already done that, we provide the means of protecting the artist's I.P. rights.

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Your paranoia about potential fraud and mismanagement by Emeraz and any other company for that matter is sensible, a little bit of skepticism is an important defense mechanism for all of us. The beauty about the Emeraz system is that you the artist have complete control over the Time-Stamp management, the process is completely transparent and can be verified by the user through our website at any time. If our clients do decide to opt for Emeraz management of their "proof of copyright time-stamps" then we take this very seriously. This valuable information is backed up on three separate servers in three independent locations across the globe. At any time and for no additional fee, our users can request to end this management service, upon which we provide them with all the seals they have created. These seals contain the exactly same information as if the user had stored the time-stamps themselves all along.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

We have adequate insurance to insure that in the event of a business wind-up, all user who have opted for the copyright management option receive their proof of copyright time-stamps.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

With regard to Dvyce not mentioning "cracking" our alogrithms, you did say "can you imagine anything easier to forge? I can't", which by default implies cracking because thats the only way a time-stamp can be forged. The bases of a time-stamp is that; should it be tested in court, the algorithm is run again on the original file, if the result(hash value/digital fingerprint) is different then it means that the file has been modified or is a copy. This is important because the time signature is linked specifically to the hash/value. In practical terms if two songwriters said they wrote the same song, both claiming priority and both had time-stamps, when the algorithm was run again the hash value produced will only match the original authentic time-stamp, thereby proving who at least sought copyright protection first.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Yes, copyrights registered with the U.S. copyright office are recognized by W.I.P.O member states but this does not mean they are superior to other forms of evidence outside of the U.S. While they are recognized they are not the "Holy Grail" of copyright protection that they are in the U.S. What is admitted into evidence is a matter for the national court to decide. If you continue to think provincially about protecting your I.P. rights(i.e. by assuming that U.S. copyright protection is all you need) while placing your music on a global forum then you risk jeopardizing your I.P. rights.

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Your previous statement; "...there is no poor mans copyright or digital time stamping that will take the place of filing your copyright with the copyright office..." is untrue in this context! Secondly, Time-Stamping is not the same as your "poor mans copyright" which relates to e-mailing files. They are two distinct processes and as you have stated that you are an "actual US Lawyer who was a staff attorney at a very large record company" I presume you can see the importance of the distinction.

Dvyce - You have made your opinion on this matter, while sometimes informed and sometimes uninformed perfectly clear. We thank you for your comments.

Emeraz

Different countries have different laws in place on how that country regulates the intellectual property of it's citizens.

England copyright laws are different than the us. International copyrights are inherently tricky.

A us lawyer usually will not know uk copyright laws clearly.

The reason poorman's copyrights are call that is because they don't work, ever! They will keep you poor.

Seek legal counsel in the country you are residing in and in the field you are working in.

Different countries have different laws in place on how that country regulates the intellectual property of it's citizens.

England copyright laws are different than the us. International copyrights are inherently tricky.

The reason poorman's copyrights are call that is because they don't work, ever! They will keep you poor.

Seek legal counsel in the country you are residing in and in the field you are working in.

Excellent post dwells, international copyright law is extremely complicated but a little research could turn out to be very valuable in the long run.

You are right, poor mans copyright (emailing etc) doesn't work. Use the technology banks and governments use and be sure you have yourself covered within your country and internationally.

Emeraz

Last edited:
Dvyce - You have made your point. Again, and without getting over technical, we live in an age where electronic security is paramount and there are very real reasons why e-mail alone is not reliable evidence. If this were not the case then the I.E.F.T.(Internet Engineers Task Force) would not advocate the use of PKI and e-Timestamping protocols that Emeraz have adopted to verify the authenticity of a file and the time it was created. Again, we are simply using technology that has been used to protect the security of EFTs in the banking and insurance sector, as well as by Governments all over the world for the last decade.

Here is the point you are missing:

(and, by the way, I never said email is going to help protect your copyright... I only said it is a more legit form of time stamping that your service... and since you don't under this very simple concept, I'll attempt to explain it to you again)

Your algorithm may be 100% uncrackable...

Your "technology" may be top notch...

BUT THE POINT IS:

YOU have no authority to vouch for anything...

Who cares if YOU (and any other unauthorized party) give your word that something was "timestamped"?

Nobody! (Well, nobody other than you...)

Nobody who matters would care... not the Copyright office.

Just like nobody should care if I use some unhackable un crackable algorithm and timestamp files and give cretificates with "the Dvyce official copyright timestamp"!

Who gave ME the authority to give some official timestamp? Nobody! Worthless!

...and the "I.E.F.T" has absolutely no bearing on this...

You are correct in saying that we are not backed by any governmental body, the reason is that we are a private enterprise not a governmental agency. As a private body, if we were backed by any governmental agency, that would be a clear violation of Competition and Anti-trust law on both sides of the water. I don't know about you, but a lack of government "vouching" does not stop me from buying from i-tunes.
We do however fulfill all our legal obligation as a registered company with the CRO(company registers office)(E.U.) and our time-stamps comply with the framework for electronic signatures as developed by the 1996 W.I.P.O treaties and adopted by various legislation such as the E-Commerce Directive(2000) in the E.U, and The Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, (2000) in the U.S.

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are no competition or antitrust issues here.

The government would need to "vouch" for you because you are claiming to provide some service that will be accepted as evidence in a court of law!

You need the government to say: "yes, we will honor this timestamp."

Understand?

What does buying from itunes have to do with this? They are not claiming that buying a song from them will al.ow you to get a governmental tax rebate or anything... You are talking complete nonsense with this itunes example. How can you not see how these are 100% unrelated?!?

If you were selling a timestamping algorithm for people to document dates for their own personal use so they can keep their files in order, then it would be fine.

But YOU are claiming that your service will hold water with the Copyright office. (it will NOT)

...and who cares if you fulfill your obligations as a corporate entity? It has absolutely nothing to do with this.

As previously stated we provide "proof of copyright", the expression of the idea in any form is the actual copyright, we obviously do not purport to create copyright as the artist has already done that, we provide the means of protecting the artist's I.P. rights.

You DO NOT provide "proof of Copyright"...

You do nothing but put your own time stamp on a file...

...a time stamp that holds absolutely no legal weight.

Like I said earlier: It holds no more legal weight than if I said "this file has the Dvyce timestamp"

...Even if i used the absolute best time stamp known to mankind, it would not matter... all that would do is insure that nobody will hack my worthless timestamp.

It is YOU and YOUR COMPANY that nobody has any reason to trust... your word holds no legal weight or authority in any court of law.

You can have the best secure unhackable algorithm in existence... but all you are protecting is a worthless unverafiable timestamp.

The truth is, you protect absolutely nothing.

Your paranoia about potential fraud and mismanagement by Emeraz and any other company for that matter is sensible, a little bit of skepticism is an important defense mechanism for all of us. The beauty about the Emeraz system is that you the artist have complete control over the Time-Stamp management, the process is completely transparent and can be verified by the user through our website at any time. If our clients do decide to opt for Emeraz management of their "proof of copyright time-stamps" then we take this very seriously. This valuable information is backed up on three separate servers in three independent locations across the globe. At any time and for no additional fee, our users can request to end this management service, upon which we provide them with all the seals they have created. These seals contain the exactly same information as if the user had stored the time-stamps themselves all along.

I am not paranoid...

I am simply telling you exactly what any court in the universe will tell you.

Once again, I can give you a printed certificate with a "seal" and even a custom hologram on special paper that cannot be duplicated and tell you your song was timestamped on a certain date...

I can also use that same certificate to verify that you are 10,000 years old... or you are the Queen of England... or that you live on the moon... or anything else...

...and I can put any date on it that you want... I can date it March 1st 1922... I can put that in a digital file too with the best encryption...

IT IS STILL WORTHLESS.

We have adequate insurance to insure that in the event of a business wind-up, all user who have opted for the copyright management option receive their proof of copyright time-stamps.

worthless

With regard to Dvyce not mentioning "cracking" our alogrithms, you did say "can you imagine anything easier to forge? I can't", which by default implies cracking because thats the only way a time-stamp can be forged. The bases of a time-stamp is that; should it be tested in court, the algorithm is run again on the original file, if the result(hash value/digital fingerprint) is different then it means that the file has been modified or is a copy. This is important because the time signature is linked specifically to the hash/value. In practical terms if two songwriters said they wrote the same song, both claiming priority and both had time-stamps, when the algorithm was run again the hash value produced will only match the original authentic time-stamp, thereby proving who at least sought copyright protection first.

It is irrelevant whether the ALGORITHM is good...

It is THE INFORMATION THAT YOU ARE SECURING that is unverafiable.

Whether it can be "cracked" is irrelevant"...

This is such a simple concept... how can you possibly not understand this?!?

Yes, copyrights registered with the U.S. copyright office are recognized by W.I.P.O member states but this does not mean they are superior to other forms of evidence outside of the U.S. While they are recognized they are not the "Holy Grail" of copyright protection that they are in the U.S. What is admitted into evidence is a matter for the national court to decide. If you continue to think provincially about protecting your I.P. rights(i.e. by assuming that U.S. copyright protection is all you need) while placing your music on a global forum then you risk jeopardizing your I.P. rights.

Your service is fundamentally flawed.

This has nothing to do with the particulars of US Copyright...

Based on simple and basic logic, the whole concept is flawed...

It would EASILY be torn apart in any court of law in the universe...

It is no better than having your mother go on the witness stand and say "my son wrote that song last week".

Your previous statement; "...there is no poor mans copyright or digital time stamping that will take the place of filing your copyright with the copyright office..." is untrue in this context! Secondly, Time-Stamping is not the same as your "poor mans copyright" which relates to e-mailing files. They are two distinct processes and as you have stated that you are an "actual US Lawyer who was a staff attorney at a very large record company" I presume you can see the importance of the distinction.

Yes, they are very different.

(and I never said an email would be good evidence)

What I said was that an email from a public server like yahoo or gmail is better evidence than YOUR service.

Infinitely better.

"Poor man's Copyright" relates to regular mail ("snail mail"), email, third party digital timestamping (as you provide), etc, etc...

The idea of "poor man's Copyright" is that a person is "too poor" to spend the money on filing a Copyright with the government so he uses some alternative method of "proving" a date of creation like mailing it to himself, emailing it or having it "timestamped" or whatever alternative method he chooses.

So, yes, YOU are providing nothing more than a "poor man's Copyright".

Dvyce - You have made your opinion on this matter, while sometimes informed and sometimes uninformed perfectly clear. We thank you for your comments.

Emeraz

I will explain the scenario where an algorithm like yours would be useful:

If you have a business that has particular trade secrets that you want to keep private, you could use something like this to keep things secure...

This is very different from a time stamp that could be used as a basis of fact in a lawsuit.

Seriously, this is such a simple concept... I can not believe that you don't see the distinction.

...or maybe you DO see the distinction, but in is not in your best interest to admit this.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Your service and services like it are the textbook definition of "poor mans's Copyright"... Trying to use some other method than an an actual copyright filing to prove something.

It will hold no more water than any other form of "poor man's copyright"...

It is all the same exact crap.

It does not matter if your particular "crap" has an "algorithm" attached to it.

---------- Post added 07-27-2010 at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-24-2010 at 11:43 AM ----------

Excellent post dwells, international copyright law is extremely complicated but a little research could turn out to be very valuable in the long run.

You are right, poor mans copyright (emailing etc) doesn't work. Use the technology banks and governments use and be sure you have yourself covered within your country and internationally.

Emeraz

Hi Dwells,

I just want to make sure you understand why this stuff he is selling makes no sense...

This has nothing to do with the Copyright regulations of any particular country...

1. is it relevant that "banks and governments" use this "technology?

NO.

A bank uses encryption technology so nobody will steal account numbers or peoples private financial information.

A government uses encryption technology for the same reasons... to keep people from stealing government secrets...

If YOU had something you wanted to keep private, you can use some encryption technology to keep people from viewing it unless they had the passcode... or you could keep people from logging on to your computer unless they had the proper password...

with a timestamp for the date of your MP3, the issue is not that somebody is going to hack in and change the time stamp. Nobody is going to do that.

The issue is that you need to have a timestamp that is RECOGNIZED by the Copyright office (i.e., the Copyright office says "yes, we accept the timestamps from this person as being valid")...

If you are in court and they say: "why should we believe that you wrote this song on this date?"

and you say: "because I have it timestamped by emeraz"

They would say: "who the hell is emeraz? I never heard of him? Why should I believe his word is worth anything?"

then you say: "ummm, well, he uses technology to make sure nobody hacks in and changes the timestamp. It is the same technology that banks and governments use!"

and they would say: "but who the hell is emeraz? and why would i accept his timestamp?"

IT IS NO BETTER THAN GOING TO THE BANK WITH EMRAZ AND PUTTING IT IN HIS SAFE DEPOSIT BOX (NOBODY CAN BREAK INTO THERE, BUT WHO CARES? IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY MORE VALID OF A TIMESTAMP)

IT IS NO BETTER THAN YOU PUTTING THE SONG IN YOUR NEIGHBOR'S GRANDMOTHER'S PANTIES WHILE YOUR AUNT WATCHES TO VERIFY THAT IT IS ACTUALLY IN THERE THEN SAYING IT IS SECURE BECAUSE NOBODY EVER GOES INTO HER PANTIES.

IT IS NO BETTER THAN ME OR YOU TIMESTAMPING IT AND USING ENCRYPTION TECHNOLOGY TO "PROTECT" IT... THE "ENCRYPTION TECHNOLOGY" IS IRRELEVANT.

2. Do the particular laws of any country regarding Copyright matter?

NO.

This is the most basic logic we are talking about here.

The point is: a random person/company "timestamping" something is worthless. No better than you, me, your mother, your 3rd grade teacher, your friend, a stranger or anybody random person "timestamping" something.

This will not hold up in ANY court.

You think somehow the Copyright office will say "we do not accept a postmark as a valid time stamp... but that guy's timestamp? Oh, yeah, that is good. We accept that."

DON'T LET ANYONE FOOL YOU:

This falls under the definition of "poor man's copyright"

Dvyce, what if Emeraz was printing every Time Stamp created each week in the New York Times to be widely witnessed?

What if our time stamps could be independently proven accurate?

What if we had a audit trail from two independent authorities proving that our equipment does exactly what we say it does?

What if we told you that the integrity of our time stamps has never been questioned in court in the 16 years the technology has been in existence?

The Writers Guild of America West use the exact same technology to protect their members Intellectual property, are you saying method is worthless or as you call it a "Poor Mans Copyright"? Not sure they're member would like to hear that considering how much they pay for that service!

It is clear you do not understand the laws regarding e-Timestamping otherwise you would not write such false remarks trying to pass it as fact. You are wrong! Take for example photographic evidence? When presented as evidence it is taken into account by the judge and a decision is made from there. Like registering a song with the U.S copyright office the "evidence" is strong legal proof that your song existed at that date just like e-Timestamping. I think you have only pointed out your lack of knowledge in the area.

Also, I would like to point out that Dyvce has deleted and censored our posts and has banned us twice. Reason? Spamming

Last edited:
The Writers Guild of America West use the exact same technology to protect their members Intellectual property, are you saying method is worthless or as you call it a "Poor Mans Copyright"? Not sure they're member would like to hear that considering how much they pay for that service!

I started to address each point in your post, but i stopped because it is just more of the same...

...but this part just is an example of exactly what i said before regarding the "technology" is fine... that is not the issue.

Also, I would like to point out that Dyvce has deleted and censored our posts and has banned us twice. Reason? Spamming

I never "censored" any post other than replacing your website name with asterisks in one of the above posts because it is the policy here that if you want to advertise your product, then you should buy advertising space...

...and I deleted your threads where you said nothing more than "go to our website, it's a one stop shop" (as is the policy here)

...and you were banned because it seemed like half of your 18 posts at the time were nothing more than unsolicited advertising for your own website. It seemed like you joined FP simply to advertise your site and made a few extra general posts to seem as if it was not the only reason you were here. (as is the policy here)

(If I were going to "censor" you, wouldn't I have just deleted all your stuff here? I don't censor anybody, but there are certain policies in place here regarding spamming... and starting threads simply to say "go to our website" is spamming.)

AND, when you complained, you were unbanned after being told (by someone other than myself) to stop spamming and to purchase advertising space if you wanted to advertise your services.

I personally don't care what you do... I have just been doing what we are supposed to do as mods here... When I see companies blatantly advertising their services, I remove that spam.

If you are truly here to contribute, you would continue to post here without always tying the discussions back to your own services. I will be happy to see this happen and to see you become an actual contributing member of FP... But if you are going to start threads simply to say "go to our website" especially when you have barely even a handful of posts in total, don't pretend that the thread is not spam.

But I am done with this thread... I would have been glad to have any sort of discussion you wanted (I've got my opinion, you've got your opinion, everybody else has their opinion... you know what they say about opinions), but to go and post "dvyce banned me and deleted my threads where I advertised my company :cry:" (when EVERYBODY here knows that ANY mod will ban them for spamming of this sort and remove spam posts to keep FP organized) is just not the type of personality trait that makes me want to interact with someone... as mods, we don't get involved in that sort of stuff.

Hi Dwells,

I just want to make sure you understand why this stuff he is selling makes no sense...

This has nothing to do with the Copyright regulations of any particular country...

1. is it relevant that "banks and governments" use this "technology?

NO.

A bank uses encryption technology so nobody will steal account numbers or peoples private financial information.

A government uses encryption technology for the same reasons... to keep people from stealing government secrets...

If YOU had something you wanted to keep private, you can use some encryption technology to keep people from viewing it unless they had the passcode... or you could keep people from logging on to your computer unless they had the proper password...

with a timestamp for the date of your MP3, the issue is not that somebody is going to hack in and change the time stamp. Nobody is going to do that.

The issue is that you need to have a timestamp that is RECOGNIZED by the Copyright office (i.e., the Copyright office says "yes, we accept the timestamps from this person as being valid")...

If you are in court and they say: "why should we believe that you wrote this song on this date?"

and you say: "because I have it timestamped by emeraz"

They would say: "who the hell is emeraz? I never heard of him? Why should I believe his word is worth anything?"

then you say: "ummm, well, he uses technology to make sure nobody hacks in and changes the timestamp. It is the same technology that banks and governments use!"

and they would say: "but who the hell is emeraz? and why would i accept his timestamp?"

IT IS NO BETTER THAN GOING TO THE BANK WITH EMRAZ AND PUTTING IT IN HIS SAFE DEPOSIT BOX (NOBODY CAN BREAK INTO THERE, BUT WHO CARES? IT DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY MORE VALID OF A TIMESTAMP)

IT IS NO BETTER THAN YOU PUTTING THE SONG IN YOUR NEIGHBOR'S GRANDMOTHER'S PANTIES WHILE YOUR AUNT WATCHES TO VERIFY THAT IT IS ACTUALLY IN THERE THEN SAYING IT IS SECURE BECAUSE NOBODY EVER GOES INTO HER PANTIES.

IT IS NO BETTER THAN ME OR YOU TIMESTAMPING IT AND USING ENCRYPTION TECHNOLOGY TO "PROTECT" IT... THE "ENCRYPTION TECHNOLOGY" IS IRRELEVANT.

2. Do the particular laws of any country regarding Copyright matter?

NO.

This is the most basic logic we are talking about here.

The point is: a random person/company "timestamping" something is worthless. No better than you, me, your mother, your 3rd grade teacher, your friend, a stranger or anybody random person "timestamping" something.

This will not hold up in ANY court.

You think somehow the Copyright office will say "we do not accept a postmark as a valid time stamp... but that guy's timestamp? Oh, yeah, that is good. We accept that."

DON'T LET ANYONE FOOL YOU:

This falls under the definition of "poor man's copyright"

I'm not getting involved. lol.

I have a firm grasp on how copyright law works in the US. I never heard of any time stamp secret spy super algorithms. I'm simple. I keep the session files backed up and I take care of my PAs. And if that fails I have several entertainment lawyers I can hire. If that all fails I'll call up the CIA and ask for their passcodes. lol

But seriously. registering your copyrights and having an entertainment attorney is usually all the protection one will ever need.

I don't know how international copyrights work, but I'm sure an entertainment attorney can help me.

entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney
entertainment attorney

um, get an entertainment attorney

hint: entertainment attorney

Ok I went to Music Business school and what I was taught was if you do not have an official copyright you cannot sue for money no matter what proof you may have. Proving the track is your creation will only allow you to make the artist cease any sales of said track. That being said either copyright your stuff or just be glad your stuff is good enough to steal.

Last edited:
you can always sue.

mcdonalds_coffee.jpg

Back