Contracts between Artists and producers

tuneitdown

Hey all,

I'll be working with a producer, signed to a label on 10 tracks he'll be producing for me, which I rap over, and get it mixed/mastered by a friend, or someone else.

I was wondering what contracts were involved in this with the producer and the record label, so that everything is clearly represented on paper, as well as the rights to the songs and the %'s.?

Where would I get these contracts? Or do I not necessarily have to procure all of these contracts, as I'm working with a record label, and they would have to procure some themselves?

Thank you
Krae

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure that this so called Producer is acutally signed to a Record Label? Far as I know most Producer's don't acutally get signed to Labels like an Artist. They are generally hired by Signed-Artist's or the Label for the engagement of their service's. Most Producers work for Production Companies or Production houses while some are freelancers. The typical legal binding agreement between a Producer and a Record Company or Signed Artist is called a Producer Agreement. The Producer Agreement is basically a contract used when a Signed Artist or Record label hires a Record Producer to produce and deliver the Masters on behalf of the Signed Artist Label. Usually the label provides the Producer Agreement that they send to the Producer when hired as a contractor. I have two of them myself as I have a Producer Agreement with between myself and a Record Company and one for Indie unsigned Artists that hires me for the engagement of my services. Here's what one of them looks like.

20190409_100839.jpg

Last edited:
First off, if this "PRODUCER" is signed to a label, you would have to get clearance from the "LABEL" to even work with him or her. So before you even think about contracts, recording, mix/master etc. Find out if this "producer" is actually signed to a label.

Last edited:
Producer's don't get signed to record companies. The deal between a Producer and a label is often called a Production Deal but really the acutal contract is called a Producer Agreement when a label hires a Producer as an independent contractor to produce for a Label Artist. it's the same contract that Timbaland, Pharrell Williams, and Dr. DRE enters in each time they are hired. The labels usually handles the deals between the Record Producer for producing and delivering the Masters. Most of the Beat guys that make beats are in Co-Publishing deals like Metroboomin, Sonny Digital etc.

This is a very complicated question, actually several complicated questions.

reading some books is the best long term solution b/c if you plan to be in the game you need to know the rules very well.

If there's any type of a deadline that you're up against you need to hire a consultant/manager (like myself) or a manager to review and explain the contract to you.

Back