BMI writer/publisher question - Is it necessary to register as a publisher?

AccentricBeats

Ok, So I've been registering my works and placements on BMI for about a year now. When I register my beats I give myself 200% writers shares. If its a song/placement with a smaller artist, another producer etc. the writers shares just get split evenly.
If it's a bigger placement, I let the labels work it out. I have 2 big placements with well known artists, but I am not listed as a publisher on any of them, only writer. So yes, I'm losing out on some pub royalties. I know.

I do not have a publishing entity set up and I'm not registered as a publisher with BMI...

My question is,
Is it possible to just list my writer account in the publishing option?
Or do I need to set up a publishing entity/register as a publisher?

Last edited:
You must set up a publishing company to collect publishing shares. It’s not hard. Do it!

GJ

Doing it will give you more opportunities I suppose. You said you were losing royalties and if you believe that registering will help you get royalties or more opportunities then do it.

BMI distributes publishing shares to writers if the song is registered as "no publisher"
my question is - can I list my a account as the publisher as well as the writer or do I need a publishing entity set up with BMI
for example - I send out a beat for a placement, it gets placed. They ask me for my BMI info -
account number xxxxxxxx listed as composer
same account number xxxxxxxx listed as publisher

or do I need 2 separate accounts for that?
one writer
one pub

It was always their rule that an artist-owned publishing company (to collect publisher's shares if you were not signed with a traditional publishing company) had to be set-up with a separate name, and registered with them in that name, after they had run a check to make sure that they're not going to confuse your company with someone else's. Maybe they have changed that rule...

GJ

Back