Is becoming an Independent A&R worth it? (A couple questions)

DallasG

So, I have been a producer ever since I was about 13 years old, and now as time comes for me to get a guaranteed job, I really wanted to get involved in the business side of music. I loved producing, but it seems as if everyone and there brother was producing hip-hop beats and it was getting rarer and harder to get discovered.

So, since I want to be in music, I did some research and found that an A&R would be a perfect job for me. It consists of all the jobs I would love to do.

Now the problem is I can't go right to Bad Boy and get hired as an A&R. So I was wondering how are independent A&Rs doing. I have seen a lot of posts about them. I really wanted to know if it was a career getting into. I don't know whether it is a safe career or not. I live in a popular city, if that helps any. My questions are below...

1. How can I get started as an A&R? Independent or for a label.
2. What does it take to be an A&R.
3. What would be a good place to learn how to be an A&R? (Besides college)

Thanks.

I'm not an expert BUT, assuming you live in Dallas (lol), i would hit up all the independent labels in the Dallas metro area for jobs and possible experience. Also, maybe you wanna practice A&Ring local mixtapes? just a thought

most times you're going to have to intern for a label...on the job experience
I do media/ent coaching/consulting which is a totally independent career...you can fake it to you make it ...but it's better to study all the time have all your information you learned very organized because every client is different with very different situations and goals...and it's a broad industry

Walkinonwater.gif

THE WALKING ON WATER MEDIA/ENT/BUSINESS COACH Antonio
LETS BUILD A RELATIONSHIP TO BUILD YOUR SUCCESS

holy_lamb_media_entertainment@hotmail.com
SERVICES

marketing salesmanship
professionalism sure fire networking
faith and entertainment leadership
time management/organization niche market research
Q & A Music Business/Law Consultation Recording/Production Studio design/organization(includes equipment suggestions for your budget)
artist bio writing freelance blog posts
business startups development budget development
studio security contact resources

"they speak on malcolm and martin, christians lets speak on luther and calvin"

Back