Am I Too Old to Rap?

Outss

This is a subject I found myself pondering a few times in my life as I chase the rap career, and I'm just wondering do you guys think there is a certain cutoff age to make it as a rapper by? Anyways here are my thoughts on the matter, and would love to know what you guys think about this question. Let me know!

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by making it and the extrinsic relationship to doing so in accordance w/the media portrayal of it. From purely a business perspective age matters within pop music, which Hip Hop has been since 1979, only because one's teen years are the shortest and the years in which artists are preferred by labels because teens are more easier to exploit based on image, song type/content, sound, etc. and the people making those career decisions are older than the artists themselves.

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by making it and the extrinsic relationship to doing so in accordance w/the media portrayal of it. From purely a business perspective age matters within pop music, which Hip Hop has been since 1979, only because one's teen years are the shortest and the years in which artists are preferred by labels because teens are more easier to exploit based on image, song type/content, sound, etc. and the people making those career decisions are older than the artists themselves.

Yeah I think times have changed a lot these days and it doesn't really matter as long as u make good music, are hardworking and don't affect other people with your decisions (negatively) !

Eminem doesn't think he's past his time in music, though on 'Kamikaze' he alludes to his fan base being about a third of what it used to be.

I don't know if there's an age, but the older I get, the less I think I can make it in music in general. I think once you get into your 40s if you don't have a day job, you damn well better be looking for one.

Getting started as a rapper has no age limit...

This is a subject I found myself pondering a few times in my life as I chase the rap career, and I'm just wondering do you guys think there is a certain cutoff age to make it as a rapper by? Anyways here are my thoughts on the matter, and would love to know what you guys think about this question. Let me know!

Getting started as a rapper has no age limit, continuing your rap career has no age deadline except literal death.

As a music community, we should change the idea that there's an age limit to doing you. If you're a rapper, then that's who you are; good luck trying to give it up. People may always want to hear your lyrical expressions, make music for the people who listen for you. People need music to express new and old emotions and more which sometimes take an experienced rapper to convey.

As a rapper, your mouth, body voice and lyrical content service as the instruments that you use to entertain. It's just like the guitarist or drummer who never stops performing shows. Music is created by people both young and older adults. Personally, I'd be crushed if all we had to listen to were young rappers. Nothing personal for younger rappers, I just prefer to have the music I like on my playlists. I don't filter for age. Artistic insecurity is one the best ways to kill your music career before it can even start. Others are arrogance and/or being generally disliked by people and musicians in the business. If you're struggling in your career, focus on building these areas of focus in your music community.

Last edited:
Back