Alternative Copyright Site

mobeatz

Anyone heard of MyWerx?

http://www.mywerx.com/

It sounds like a good service.

It works much the same way as US Copyright service in that they proof your original work by supporting the date of submission of your original work.

PROS: FREE for ASCAP & SESAC members!
You can submit 1 or more songs to your account starting at 600 MB of space. for 3.95/MO going up from there.

Opposed to US Copyright office where you can send multiple songs but you have to do it at once or pay for each time you submit a song/track

With MyWerx you can submit your soung as soon as you are finished with it without paying extra.

Cons: In the long run it costs more than the US Copyright Office

So in essence you are paying for the convenience of having an open ended account. Submit whenever without extra fees.

Anyone uses this service? Opinions.

---------- Post added 12-23-2010 at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-22-2010 at 05:56 PM ----------

no comments? opinions?

Last edited:
check this site out on the free tip.

www.myfreecopyright.com

these legitimately hold up in a court of law aswell. I believe they only protect you from profit made off the copywritten material tho.

That is interesting. It seems what they do is verify the Copyright with email date.

I have been told by a producer that a self email basically does the same thing. It's like the e-version of the poor man's copyright. It sounds like it should work, but I'm not aware if it has been tested in court before.

I believe, that if you value your art enough, the $35 pop-per-song of traditional copyrighting can be viewed as an investment in your future, much like a new piece of equipment or VST, and is the way to go. I'd love to hear from another artist who uses the traditional route as to whether these investments could be skewed as tax-deductable...tis the season.

In the US, you cannot go to court without registering with the US Copyright Office. A US Copyright Office registration provides all the proof of ownership you'd likely need. In other words, when it comes to any of these "alternatives" to registering with the US Copyright Office: they are useless without official registration and unnecessary with official registration.

Back