Accepted by both ASCAP and BMI. What to do now?

CVLT CORP.

Hello, I explain you my problem:

on 03/20/2018 I sent a request to join ASCAP and they said that they would have processed my request within two weeks. I have not heard from ASCAP for a whole month (also sent an email asking for a status check but they never replied).
Since my situation was quite urgent, on 04/24/2018 I decided to start the registration to BMI and I've been accepted the day right after.
The problem is that today, incredibly, I have received a response also from ASCAP, which said that I have been accepted and that I have to activate my account on their online portal. I've not activated anything yet, but I'm a bit confused about what I should do now.
Do you have any suggestion?

ASCAP FAQs talk about membership resignation but only in relation to refund of application fee, which is not possible and I already know that.

Thanks in advance.

I'm already with BMI, but my ASCAP account is still active. I need to deactivate it but they seem to not reply to messages even if I write from Member Access.

Call the closest office to you. If you do not have a separate writer and/or publisher account with each, and they are both under the same name, you can tie-up any royalties that might be due. I would handle it ASAP and forget about e-mail.

GJ

Well, I live in Italy so actually there’s not a nearest office to call. That’s why I’m using the e-mail contact.
I can’t believe I’m struggling to get assistance even from within the portal, BMI always replied to all my inquiries via e-mail the day after.

what gregg juke said; you need to be affiliated with a writer organization in your country.

meanwhile, ascap & bmi are not different enough to matter. i know peeps with either organization, and they're happy... or not. nothing consistent. plus, at the end of the day, a royalty check is a royalty check...

Back