Thread: Accepted by both ASCAP and BMI. What to do now?

Thanks

Accepted by both ASCAP and BMI. What to do now?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello, I explain you my problem:

on 03/20/2018 I sent a request to join ASCAP and they said that they would have processed my request within two weeks. I have not heard from ASCAP for a whole month (also sent an email asking for a status check but they never replied).
    Since my situation was quite urgent, on 04/24/2018 I decided to start the registration to BMI and I've been accepted the day right after.
    The problem is that today, incredibly, I have received a response also from ASCAP, which said that I have been accepted and that I have to activate my account on their online portal. I've not activated anything yet, but I'm a bit confused about what I should do now.
    Do you have any suggestion?

ASCAP FAQs talk about membership resignation but only in relation to refund of application fee, which is not possible and I already know that.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Choose one. Activate membership and register your song.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

Thanks
    Go with BMI.

Thanks
    I'm already with BMI, but my ASCAP account is still active. I need to deactivate it but they seem to not reply to messages even if I write from Member Access.

Thanks
    Call the closest office to you. If you do not have a separate writer and/or publisher account with each, and they are both under the same name, you can tie-up any royalties that might be due. I would handle it ASAP and forget about e-mail.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thanks
    Well, I live in Italy so actually there’s not a nearest office to call. That’s why I’m using the e-mail contact.
    I can’t believe I’m struggling to get assistance even from within the portal, BMI always replied to all my inquiries via e-mail the day after.

Thanks
    Yes, I prefer BMI for a number of reasons. I would just file all paperwork with BMI, send e-mail(s) and written notification to ASCAP that you resign/rescind membership. Send copies to BMI, and move on with life.

It looks like SIAE is your BMI affiliate in Italy: Agreements with Foreign Performing Rights Organizations | International | BMI.com

The same organization has a relationship with ASCAP as well: Affiliated Foreign Societies

It might be worth your time to contact them as well.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions

Thanks
    what gregg juke said; you need to be affiliated with a writer organization in your country.

meanwhile, ascap & bmi are not different enough to matter. i know peeps with either organization, and they're happy... or not. nothing consistent. plus, at the end of the day, a royalty check is a royalty check...
    http://nevskymusic.com/
    for the modern, the fearless, the hitmakers

Thread Information