30 Minutes of Content

agivens

When someone gives your music a chance you have to take that opportunity to bring them into the artist’s world for as long as you can so 1 or 2 songs just isn’t enough material. You need to provide at least 30 minutes of engaging content to have a chance at turning a potential consumer into a fan.

After Paul Wall and Chamillionaire split and then left Paid in Full Records we released the Mixtape Messiah (3 Discs), Tippin’ Down, Chamillitary, The Truth hosted by DJ Whoo Kid, and Big Business featuring Star Quo (2 discs) all within 2 years time. THAT’S 8 HOURS OF MUSICAL CONTENT!!!

These were all mixtapes done over other people’s beats but none the less it was enough material for potential fans to dive into and decide if they liked what Chamillionaire has to offer. I can’t count the number of people at shows who heard about Chamillionaire from a friend, went to the store and saw that there was a whole section of Chamillionaire material to select from. The fans would either by multiple projects or buy one and talk about how they rushed back to get another project. I had a personal experience like this with Curren$y’s music.

A good friend of mine that had always recommended music to me said that I needed to check out Curren$y. This same friend had put me on to Raekwon’s purple tape and 3–6 Mafia’s Mystic Styles back in 94.

When I got to the computer that evening I checked out Michael Knight off of Pilot Talk 2. Since there was a part 2 I knew that there had to be a part 1 so I checked that out from front to back. Then I started checking out Curren$y’s music videos and saw that he was running around with Dame Dash and was getting interviewed in an art gallery, was working on material with the Black Keys and had a new album that people were anticipating.

All in all, While I sat at my laptop for about 30–45 minutes currency made me a fan of his Jet Life/Pilot Talk right then and there. You have to supply enough content for people to dive into for a solid 30 minutes. It doesn’t all have to be music but it has to be engaging enough for people to deep dive into the artist's world.

Last edited:
Back