Supporting the Global Music Industry - Masks For Music

Hey fellow musicians and music industry people! I am new here, so this is my first post. Hopefully some of you find it helpful and can benefit from it.

I work at a dance music management company in Barcelona. Due to the pandemic, we've been hit really hard - with most of our income reduced to nothing. We're a new business, so it was pretty devastating after the hard work setting everything up…

Over the past few weeks, my colleagues and I have been working on a concept to help support musicians, industry professionals, organisations and event companies who are currently out of work due to the crisis.

If you go to instagram and search for Masks For Music, you'll find us.
(I can't post the link as it's my first time posting here, maybe a mod can help by adding the web address?)

We wanted to build something which would enable people at any level of the industry to be able to recover some lost revenue - from festival workers to producers, to agency staff, to managers, club staff, techies ETC!! Effectively anyone connected to the music industry.

We have found that funding and support are really sparse. We also wanted to reduce the time, effort and investment based costs of starting a business.

Our concept is M
asks For Music - a Shopify store stocked with products, with an affiliate system connected to the store.

What this means is that if you work in the music industry you can create an account and get a link to share. When someone visits the store from your link and makes a purchase, you get credited with 50% of the total sale price.

Here is the breakdown of where the money from the sale price goes, we wanted to make this totally transparent.

• 50% of the sales goes to the referrer
  • 10% will be donated to our charitable partners
  • 21% covers shipping and production costs of the physical product
  • 19% is to cover our operating costs, including fulfilment

If you are wondering what we get out of it, basically we just hope to cover some of the time we've put into the project.

We have created a lot of marketing materials as well including social media posts and an Instagram filter. You get access to these once you create an account.
We've also had some nice press here in Spain about the concept last week. If you see this post and want to post it anywhere else or want to discuss in more details you can also email us via the site.

We know this is a really tough time for people connected to music and live events and that our industry will be one of the last to get back to normal. So our hope is that by creating this concept, we can keep some revenue within the industry that would otherwise go elsewhere.

We hope you like the concept - please upvote this post if you do... and if you want to create an account and start sharing the site, we would love that.

Back