***How To Get A Placement***

Success to me is being able to play the first 0:05 of a beat and thousands of people will erupt

Kaminota said:
9) Success to me is getting to a spot in my career where I can make a modest living off making beats, producing people, and any other avenue I find of interest.

I'm talking about some where under 60,000 a year max. Don't want your fame and don't need your wealth. Just want to live good doing what I love. It would probably be less if I did not have a mortgage to pay.

60k?

Ouch. I was struggling off 60k. Anything less would damn near be poverty.

You must live in Mexico.

j.troup said:
60k?

Ouch. I was struggling off 60k. Anything less would damn near be poverty.

You must live in Mexico.

If you took the total amount of money made of the industry in 2008 you will find that over 90 PERCENT of all producers, songwriters and artists have made less than 60K. The Industry IS Mexico, a tiny amount of super rich people, a handful of healthy middle class people and then a OCEAN of poverty being sold off the chance of being one of the super rich. The problem is that 'chance' doesn't exist no more so what you have is urban myth legend. Meanwhile the TWITTER'S of the world become the new ultra rich because technology, not Edgar Bronfman or Doug Morris runs the music business. Catch up or get lost!

LMAO... New Orleans... and my wife works... so I would not need a whole lot to pay for our bills. It really has a lot to do with how you live and where you live and other factors. But even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't change my life style too much. I'm not poor and I live check to ... they call a person like me lower middle class. I do come from a poor back ground and I have a deep deep understanding of what it is to not have nothing. So I'm good.

It's whatever you are comfortable with. And I got to be realistic and maintain the life style that my wife and I have obtained together. Even if it sounds sad in a number value.

I guess that shows how much competition you'll get from a guy like me.

Cause I'm good as long as I can eat and take a trip to D.R. every once in a while.

Legal Dollaz said:
If you took the total amount of money made of the industry in 2008 you will find that over 90 PERCENT of all producers, songwriters and artists have made less than 60K. Meanwhile the TWITTER'S of the world become the new ultra rich because technology, . Catch up or get lost!

He got a point... the industry is worst than Mexico ... when you see Mexico... it's pretty damn vivid that the country is f'd up. Music industry sells more dreams than records. And I hope that does not sound bitter ... but I know people who have been in limos with cats the likes of Russell Simmons and gotten drop off in Time Square cause it the deal wasn't right.

Last edited:
D-ZEE said:
Success to me is being able to play the first 0:05 of a beat and thousands of people will erupt

I'ma start saying that.

Hope you dont mind if I steal your saying and use it as my own...

Wow @ struggling making 60k a year. I'd be comfy making half of that and success to me is being able live a normal life just off beats makin 1.5 to 2k a month and I'm happy.

Success to me is being able to live off music.
Success to me is being able to buy my mom and dad a house
Success to me is having a gold or platinum plaque.
Success to me is retiring at 40 when most retire in their 50´s or 60´s
Success to me is marrying Megan Good..............jk
Success to me is just living a good life and loving what I do and being happy.

:cheers: Jackpot check your PM fam.

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
Wow @ struggling making 60k a year. I'd be comfy making half of that and success to me is being able live a normal life just off beats makin 1.5 to 2k a month and I'm happy.

You plan on paying taxes?

You plan on having a house? A car? Nice furniture, nice big screen TV? Nice studio space and nice equipment in the house?

AND money to put away for savings/entertainment, etc?

Not on 1.5 to 2k per month.

When I was working my job, I was taking home about $1700 twice a month.

And it was hard.

I have enough money in the bank to chill out for a few years and live it up as a college student and put a nice downpayment on a house....what am I doing? Working a part time job to cover daily spending so I don't have to dip into savings.

Trankwil said:
elaborate please

The Performance Rights Act.

Up until this point commercial radio was exempt from paying a performance royalty to the artists they played on their station (writers only - ASCAP/BMI) despite other formats such as satellite and internet radio are forced to. The common notion was that commercial radio was a free promotional tool vital to the success of a record but that was all good until people stopped purchasing albums so the labels want a piece of that ass just like they're taking a piece from the artists in the form of the 360 deal. Radio on the other hand is also suffering from the downturn in advertisement dollars (WHERE YOUR PERFORMANCE PUBLISHING MONEY COMES FROM!!!!!) and they claim the royalty tax is the blow that might push them over the financial edge.

Label/Artist side - http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=1184220
Radio side - http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=1208152

This is the battle to keep track of because if the act goes through you might witness a real paradigm change in the commercial radio side because the radio stations may start to look to support more LOCAL INDEPENDENT acts and accelerate the de-centralization of the music industry.

Since producers/writers can't go on the road and make tour money (unless they are the artist as well) and the mechanical royalties are drying up because album sales are tanking the final frontier is commerical radio. Pay attention, keep up with the latest and stay tuned
trans.gif

Last edited:
Back