Board upgrade

N/Audiofanzine

Administrator
Staff member
Hello fellow FutureProducers members,

I hope you’re all fine and safe in these troubled times.

I wanted to let you know that we will soon migrate the board to a new application since it hasn’t been updated in years.

This migration is serving two main purposes:

• Technical reasons: we’re using outdated software and this causes several issues. In short, we need to be able to follow applications and OS upgrades on the servers in order to avoid security issues. This also comes with great benefits in terms of performance.
  • Usability reasons: no new features have been added to this board for a long time and there’s very little we can do anyway with such an outdated program. Moderators need modern tools to manage the board and fight against spam. With the explosion of smartphones and tablets, we also need a board that can adapt graphically to any device. And you, users and contributors of this board, need modern functioning tools, whether you’re consulting the board from your desktop computer, your tablet or your smartphone.

As you can see on the screenshots below, I’m pretty sure that you’ll quickly get used to the new board as it doesn’t change “that much” visually but under the hood, it’s a complete change though and that’s a good thing.

attachment.php

New board desktop view

attachment.php

New board mobile view

For those interested, we’ll be leaving Vbulletin for Xenforo which is currently the state-of-the art in terms of forums. We’re in contact with people who’ve already done several migrations to Xenforo a long time ago and they’ve been really happy with the results. I’ve already done a few migrations myself in order to migrate other boards and also build the staging version I’ve shown the moderators so the final migration should go smoothly. Of course the board will have to be closed for a few hours during the conversion process.

I’m planning the migration for next week on Monday evening CET. It will take several hours to move the data from the old board to the new one.

Your access to the board won’t change. You’ll be able to log in with your existing credentials, your thread subscriptions should remain untouched and any existing page on the board should automatically redirect to the corresponding page on the new board.

I’m looking forward to giving FutureProducers a new impetus and hope you’ll like the new board system as much as we do. Stay safe.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Attachments

• FutureProducers - desktop view.png
    FutureProducers - desktop view.png
    825.9 KB · Views: 11
  • FutureProducers - mobile view.png
    FutureProducers - mobile view.png
    274 KB · Views: 11
Hi all,

We have now moved to Xenforo. The downtime was much longer than expected and I apologize for that.
The design is a bit shaky at the moment but we'll improve it in the next few days.

I hope you'll enjoy this new version of the board, I find the mobile and tablet version particularly nice and pleasant to use.

Just wanna say good job. Is vbulletin dead these days? This is the second forum I noticed switching from vb to Xenforo recently

Thanks!
I think Vbulletin's still going on but it's loosing parts quickly to other boards systems like Xenforo (I think that Xenforo was started by people coming from Vbulletin anyway).

Glad you like the new board, I like it a lot too :)

Back