What do you think is the Best DAW?

GoldTune

Experts, I need your answers. What is the best DAW? and what are your experiences with it?
Why do you consider it as the best?
Thank you futurepipz:cheers:

The one that does what you need it to do with the best possible flow. This has been discussed a gazillion times, and the end result is always that it's down to preference.

For me, Ableton Live suits my way of working - also somewhat shapes it, of course, but that's inevitable and not necessarily bad. It just clicks with me - I do bits and pieces, then combine them into bigger structures, and finally do a spontaneous arrangement; not having to think in a linear fashion from the get-go is just liberating.

You should use Cubase because it's what I use and I'm frickin awesome.:p

Seriously though, over the years most companies have engaged in a feature set arms race and as a result most DAWs have ended up with similar features.

Experts, I need your answers. What is the best DAW? and what are your experiences with it?
Why do you consider it as the best?
Thank you futurepipz:cheers:

This question is so general that I find it tough to answer directly. DAW's come in an endless variety of selections and, depending on your role in the music industry, the best DAW can include a huge combination of hardware and software. If your goals is to make the most music money possible; and you're over 21 years of age; in the United States, the best DAW would include pro audio recording software, dj software, turntables, dj mixer, keyboards, midi controllers, studio monitors, condenser mics, dynamic mics, recording mixer, and a computer powerful enough to manage it; among other things.

Are you asking this question because you're building a DAW, or are you trying to see how your studio compares to others?

If your accustomed to working in an mpc kind of fashion then i would have to say ableton takes the cake, but if your more of a composer /arranger type of producer who knows how to play some keys, then any linear sequencer type DAW will do. You also have Reason which is alright but I find it to be better for sound design and the workflow isn't all that great.

If your accustomed to working in an mpc kind of fashion then i would have to say ableton takes the cake, but if your more of a composer /arranger type of producer who knows how to play some keys, then any linear sequencer type DAW will do.

Oddly enough, I'm definitely of the composer/arranger type and know my keys, have a friend's MPC handy gathering dust because I don't really like it at all - yet I still use Live :)

I wasn't taking any shots at you bro, i was stating the facts and oddly enough i'm not the composer/arranger type and don't play any keys so to each is own and yet i still use fl studio.:hello:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't taking any shots at you bro, i was stating the facts and oddly enough i'm not the composer/arranger type and don't play any keys so to each is own and yet i still use fl studio.:hello:

Didn't think so, just found it funny that you mentioned all the things I am as examples for maybe choosing something else. Just pointing out that Live's flexible enough to accommodate us as well :)

Reaper

Like the other's said, it's up to you in the end.

I've had the best results with "Reaper". Why?

- I think it's really easy to use (great workflow!) compared to say Cakewalk... You can do the same things, but with a lot less messing around with buttons (especially in the piano roll editor).

- It's highly customizable for the way you want to work - although this may take a little reading to tweak "just right" I ran into a couple of issues with the "default" settings, but fixed the (2) issues I had on day one.

- The 32bit version works with every VST and VSTi I have tried with it (32bit on Windows 7 x64)

- It has some nifty features like media browser for sample file libraries, and dockable utility windows

- It's DEEP. The uncluttered interface is deceiving. Under the hood, it's packed with options.

- It sounds GREAT (64bit rendering engine if you have the system for it) and has a TON of export options.

- Finally, it's CHEAP. It's $60 bucks for the indie/small producer license. But don't confuse "cheap" with "inadequate", Reaper can stand up to any DAW at any price. (Except for maybe the "live" aspects of Ableton Live)

That's my two cents. Reaper has been a God send for me!

what is DAW? can anyone help. i always want to learn something that i dont know. what is the full form of DAW????

Most will boo, but I use FL.
Granted, I only use it to sequence VSTs and my hardware synths to record to my MPC.

Back