Where the F*** does Timbaland get his drums?

slamsta5950

As the title says?...I know he plays drums too sometimes, and obviously people compile timbaland drum kits but those are just sampled one-shots from his songs. Does anybody know where timbaland gets his iconic drums sounds from...it's a long shot I know but i'm just fishing for ideas.

or maybe - what are some techniques he uses to make them classic timbo hard hitting beats?

his drums aren't that special to be honest. He samples a lot of them and layered them into his asr10 way back and got them from all kinds of places. Sample cds, vinyl, cassettes, sound modules ect. As far as hard hitting beats good mixing can make your stuff hit hard as well as good layering and overall good sounds. Sometimes recording the sound from an external source helps but that again depends on the original source.

ni maschine has all the drums you could ever need, i use them on every beat. i think he uses drumkits of may hardware drum machines and synths he has and also sampling and sample cds ofcourse, venegeance sample cds which are made for dance music have thousands of drums, many useable in hip hop

I just think it's the mixing and processing that is hard-hitting on his material...

Not what you have, iz what you do with it!

If somebody brings you the keys to a helicopter on a plate, you think you gonna Airwolf that shit right off the bat?

he uses good sounding samplers and runs them through pro channel strips / comps / eqs / transient designer. you just can't get that sound with FL studio stock plugins. those stuffs cost thousand dollars for a reason.

Last edited:
Alot of hardware drum machines. You can probably find free kits around the web, then your gonna need that Timbo ear to tweak them lol

^^^ Yeah, I would agree with above. You need to have a good ear to tweak your drums like his. My advice would be to grab a Timbo drumkit from somewhere and then try to recreate those sounds in your DAW (get a good one...most are crap). This is a good way to create your own drum sounds and to learn how to make your drums sound more like Timberland at the same time. Thats might 2 cents.

I really don't mean to threadjack. . . I don't think his drums are that special. . .BUT I remember the video where Kanye came to him to redo the drums in "Stronger," and he played this choir sound. . . .BEAST . . .

if anybody knows a refill that I can buy to get a similar choir. . .let ya boy know. . .

Back