What's your favourite software synth?

i-clan

my choice is ... oh, it's gotta be out of either the Waldorf PPG (LOVE it!!!) or the Vibra 9000 (made by Tokyo software, choice sounds).

Are those 2 compatible with midi keyboards? I've been looking at getting a small 2 octave controller. Also where can you get them - are they freebies?

I think the best sounding software synth I've played with has to be the CREAMWARE VECTRON... but it can be considered hardware, as it's using DSPs on the Pulsar II card to run...

So.. my favourite straight software synth (running on the computer CPU) is Reason I think... for the easiness and all-in-one-but-quality concept.

In a few days I should receive a package from Native-Instruments, including Reaktor 3.0... I will experiment with it a bit, and I have a feeling it will be one of my favourites.

My favourites are...

1. Native Instruments: Pro-52
2. Waldorf: PPG-Wave v2

...Everybody should check them out! :D

I like ReBirth 2, simple and can produce good results with a bit of perseverance :)

I would have to say...

Reason...

However if Propellerheads and Native instruments came together and created one soft synth with the ease of use of Reason and the all around greatness of Reaktor (I would call this hybrid synth Reakton) they would definitly corner the soft synth market. Alas if it was not for major corporate competition, this might be a reality.

I'm wondering about the power and flexibility of Native Instrument's upcoming Reaktor v3. With the track record of Reaktor v2, I think this new software looks promising.

Also I would kill to get my hands on a Pulsar II. The Vectron synthesis system looks like THE most advanced thing I have seen so far (like the FM synth's look). Then there is the little (maybe not so little) modular system (i.e. patch cable heaven). That's gotta have some nasty sounds behind it too.

the Vibra 9000 was created by Koblo software. im sure. But i could be wrong.

I don't like soft synths - but my favourite is the meta-synth. It creates sounds from bitmaps you import.

koblo yes, but there is some 'engine' that 'tokyo' made or it is called.
what sorta sounds u get from metasynth - what pics work best?

basically, the metasynth works by assinging parameters to the X and Y axis of a picture, and alters the value of them by the brigtness (colour) of a particular point - at its most simple level.

But what it can also do is have BMP Oscillators, which are then mixed and passed through the more normal synthesis features you'd expect (filters, adsr etc). It's very complex and I don't know exactly how it all works really.

As for what pictures are best? - Well its difficult to tell what a picture is going to sound like really. More simple pictures (e.g. only a few colours) work best, because they don't just make a horrible noise like complex ones. Also, pictures with a fairly uniform background colour, with significant foreground objects of a totally different colour work well. Sometimes you just get crap out of it, but occasionally you dump a picture in that sounds amazing. I really like importing pictures of clouds and sunsets - they seem to work well (especially sunsets). Fish work good too.

I like VAZ Modular too.. Just started playing with it, but I have been really impressed by the lack of latency and the limitless possibilities. Too bad it can't run as a VSTi, but then again, maybe I'd get latency then.
-mj-

last time i saw metasynth...it was version two; now there is version 2.6 ....wonder if it is as large a difference as there was between artmatic pro's current version to the one before it?

ps-there is a newsellter bulk mail of the u&i customers and it is a great place to get help with artmaticpro or metasynth.

fav.synths

i like retro sounds. i really dig the Pro-52 and the B4 by Native Instruments, and the PPG Wave and the Attack by Waldorf.

Back