Whats the DeAL wit ReAsOn????

goingtocali

Anyone here have propellerhead Reason? From what steinberg says about it it seems like a dream. But I a little bit skeptical about how enjoyable using my mouse to click away music is. Does it live up to the hype? Is it possible to create really creative music with it? And I hear you can map everything out to a midi board? True. I LOVE THIS SITE> PEACE AND LOVE............I am mainly into progressive house & trance

Reason is fantastic - download the demo.

I've always been a "preset" kind-of-a-guy, but Reason is so intuitive that I am at last able to experiment with music in a way that puts the music first and the programming second. Hit record - twiddle a knob - a sequencer track is automatically created and named, and the twiddles recorded. Right-click on-screen knob, twist knob on midi-keyboard, real knob is now assigned to on-screen knob. That's how it should always have been isn't it?

Downsides -
1. It doesn't link well to the outside world at the moment. It CAN act as midi-slave, but we'll have to wait for the new version of Cubase 5 to get a proper midi-output.
2. Sampler does not support velocity maps, AKAI etc. But the included sounds are OK.

Cubase + VST2.0 instruments offers much greater flexibility than Reason - but it's the integration of Reason that makes it much easier and much more fun!

It doesn't require a fantastic PC. My PII350 SBLive setup happily runs ACID synced up to Reason with a directX latency of 46ms. Fine for the moment till I upgrade my soundcard.

How TO Sync ACID

Woah, if you could drop some info on how to sync acid with other midi programs, that would be sweet. I really need to do that.

Peace

Reason is awesome!!!

I haven't used any gear (except my one keyboard) in my music, it's totally based on software, but Reason is cool with it's "gear". You can totally play with wires when you switch the view in Reason from front to back. (and no messing if the wire is going to be too short... :D ) If you have ReBirth, you can run it with Reason, just put the ReBirth Input Machine to your rack and run ReBirth.

And no need for big processors. I have too AMD350 and only SB128 and still DirectX latency 46 ms. Working great.

peace!
-trac

How to SYNC acid PRO and reason for GOINGTOCALI:

1. Install Hubi's Loopback or similar, so that you have some internal 'virtual' midi connectors. It's installed like a piece of HARDWARE so read the "readme" files!

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/2872/hmidilb/hmdlpbk.html

2. In ACID PRO (no midi sync in the cheaper versions)
Options, Preferences, SYNC, Generate MIDI clock on (say) LB1.
(LB1 is just one of the new internal midi connections that you've just installed.)

3. Still in ACID
Shift+F7 which generates MIDI-CLOCK out. OR just check "generate midi-clock" in the OPTIONS menu.

4. Still in ACID, and confusingly, look two lines below the "file" menu, for a yellow circle. Click here and 'tick'the MIDI CLOCK out setting.

ACID PRO is now sending MIDI-CLOCK out on LB1 internal virtual midi cable

5. In Reason
Edit, Preferences, Page=midi, now select LB1 for MIDI-CLOCK.

6. In REASON
Select OPTIONSand 'tick' MIDI sync, rather than internal sync.

Here's the bummer:
REASON timeline is now useless. To move around the track you are forced to swap back to acid and move the position. You can still RECORD in Reason, so you'll have to get used to using the ALT+TAB combination to switch easily between both programmes.

7. TO record in REASON
Press the * button on the keypad
ALT+TAB switch to ACID and start ACID playing.
REASON automatically drops into record.
You quickly forget about this once you realise the advantages of being able to loops up to your reason track instantly.

8. Once you've got your groove going, consider buying RECYCLE and loading your acid loops into DR REX. You can then do some nice filter sweeps on drum loops/chop them up etc, but you don't lose the instant experimentation that comes from using ACID!

ACID PRO cost about £200 all up, essentially just for the MIDI-SYNC option, but I swear by it and have a lot of fun!

Back