What VSTi and Sequencer you use?

prawjec

Dunno if topic been posted before or what not, I do R&B/Hip-Hop and use..

Sequencer
Cubase SX 2

VSTi

Sampletank 2 XL (8 cds) + (Acoustic Drums - Bass Collection - Guitar Collection)

Sonik Synth 2
Steinberg: The Grand
Korg Legacy Collection
Yellow Tools Culture
Native Instruments Battery 2
Native Instruments Pro 53
Native Instruments Elektrik Piano
Native Instruments Absynth 3
Native Instruments Kontakt 2
Native Instruments Xpress Keyboards
Arturia CS-80V
Linplug Albino 2
Linplug Saxlab
Linplug Delta III
Linplug Crono X
Linplug Element P
Linplug Alpha
Linplug daOrgan
Musiclab Real Guitar
Novation V-Station
RGC Audio Z3ta
GForce Minimonsta
Wusikstation
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Tascam Giga Studio

- And I have a HUGE collection of sample cds and a good amount for GIGA such as harp and PMI Old Lady. What you all use?

prawjec said:
Dunno if topic been posted before or what not, I do R&B/Hip-Hop and use..

Sequencer
Cubase SX 2

VSTi

Sampletank 2 XL (8 cds) + (Acoustic Drums - Bass Collection - Guitar Collection)

Sonik Synth 2
Steinberg: The Grand
Korg Legacy Collection
Yellow Tools Culture
Native Instruments Battery 2
Native Instruments Pro 53
Native Instruments Elektrik Piano
Native Instruments Absynth 3
Native Instruments Kontakt 2
Native Instruments Xpress Keyboards
Arturia CS-80V
Linplug Albino 2
Linplug Saxlab
Linplug Delta III
Linplug Crono X
Linplug Element P
Linplug Alpha
Linplug daOrgan
Musiclab Real Guitar
Novation V-Station
RGC Audio Z3ta
GForce Minimonsta
Wusikstation
Garritan Personal Orchestra
Tascam Giga Studio

- And I have a HUGE collection of sample cds and a good amount for GIGA such as harp and PMI Old Lady. What you all use?

you've even bought the latest mini monsta and battery 2 yet haven't bothered to upgrade to cubase sx3 , strange ?

i think its better you leave a link to your music and let the music do the talking.

I think I'll list my stuff too, out of lack of anything else to do.

Sequencer: FL Studio 4
Editing: Sony Soundforge 7

VST Generators:
Buttloads of Buzz Machines
GMedia impOSCar
GMedia MiniMonsta
Arturia CS-80v
Arturia Moog Modularv
Korg Legacy Collection
Green Oak Crystal
Stumm PG-23P
Brooks & Stegner Arp2600va
Synth 1
AAS Ultra Analog
Angular Momentum Analog Warfare
S&C SC-101
...etc

VST Effects/Mastering:
Izotope Ozone
Izotope Vinyl
Bram@SmartElectronix SupaPhazer
Silverspike Ruby Tube
Magnus@SmartElectronix Ambience
DaSample Glaceverb
Voxengo Pristine Space
...etc

and a massive collection of samples and soundfonts and other odds and ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sequencer:

Ableton Live 4

VST:

Novation Bass Station
Native Instruments Xpress Keys
Aturia Moog V
Real Guitar 1.5
a bunch of freebies

and I just picked up...

Trilogy
Steinberg's The Grand
Sampletank 2XL

...can't wait to play with these!

Samples:

a buttload of shiz

Mixing:

Pro Tools 6.4

I mostly do hip hop.

Prawjec! How do you like Sampletank and Trilogy???

Hardware:
MV-8000 :D

Software set-up:

Sequencer:
Project5 (rewored)
DAW:
Sonar 4 PE

Editors:
Cool Edit Pro
Sound Forge

Softsynths:
All included synths with P5 and Sonar 4.

Commercial:
MiniMonsta
ImpOSCar
Oddity
Moog Modular V
Lounge Lizard
B4
Intakt
FM7
Zero Vector White Noise
V Station
Bass Station
ProteusX
Attack
PPG Wave
Slayer 2
Albino
CronoX
Saxlab
RM IV
Junglist
Hydra
SuperPro Bundle
Retro-GS Bundle

Freebie:
Delay Lama
Frequatic
peach
toad
Spook Keys
String Theory
The Shepard
ASET-Free
STS-11b-free
Swamp-Free

Okay, I also use something that shows up called the TPS_Module. It is called the Brass Section Module. It was sent to me via a friend in rar files...so you know what that means. I have no idea if it is cracked or a freebie or what. But I cannot find any info on it. Anyway, it is a killer synth and if it is NOT a freebie, I'd gladly pay or "donate" or whatever as it as some of the best brass ever and a really cool Moog Filter on it as well. One of my favorites and my first "goto" synth for brass. And it only has 32 presets.

:D

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smart arse, but I would assume that having that long a kit list would on many occasions hamper rather than enhance your production. There is no way in hell you'll be able to properly master all of those synths- by properly I mean really knowing the quirks, ins and outs basically what really sets them apart from other synths. All synths have some parameter that makes them preferable to others, but surely youre not able to delve deep into 75 advanced synthesizers. I could be wrong, in that case congratulations.
Personally, I followed the advice of an old production partner of mine, who just stripped his studio down to the bare essentials. I've done the same, and I'm really starting to reap the fruits from this now. I too used to collect softsynths like they were going out of fashion, but now I'm down to Ableton Live with the korg Legacy Collection, Arturias MiniMoog and Cs-80 plus my hardware kit. First of all, it aids me in creating a coherent sound throughout my productions. Second, and probably most important,I really know these synths well now - to the point where when I need a certain sound I will instantly know which synth to work from init to get just "that sound". My opinion, based on this experiment, is that you really don't need all that kit - its probably vice versa: A tight setup that you really know will often get you further than a huge arsenal of which you've just scratched the surface.
I guess if you are the type of producer that just sticks to presets it would be different, as clearly you'd need a bigger arsenal.
Just my tuppence anyway.

cubase sx 1 as me sequencer,

Reaktor 4 for synths, Battery 2 for drums

waves platinum for effects and stuff,

and lots of hardware :)

cubase sx3
abeltonlive 4
kontakt 1.5 (and a sh*tload of samples
stomper ultra
battery
smart electronix suite
fm7
absynth2
superwave
wavelab 5
waves platinum bundle
soundhack spectral shapers(sweet)
cool edit96!!!!
vokator
spectral delay
pro5
Roland v-synth
bcr2000 controller
sony vaio laptop (a humble 1.8ghz)
monster cords
motu 828mkII

Last edited:
My list drags on for much more than I just put there. I've now got Synfactory (great freeware modular synth) and Arturia Arp 2600 in my arsenal. I find that each synth has it's own little character, there's just something that's a bit different about each synth that makes one work better than another in certain situations. I use the modular stuff for fx and basslines, Legacy Collection for synth strings. I still go to Halion and my soundfont collection for all of my orchestrals, alot of the other vsts I've tried are just too much of a pain in the ass in my opinion to work with. I'm a stickler for FL Studio though, it's the software I started with and learned on and know the ins and outs of, learning another piece of software would hamper my music, so I just stick with what I've got and use plugins to taste.

Port Royale said:
Not trying to be a smart arse, but I would assume that having that long a kit list would on many occasions hamper rather than enhance your production. There is no way in hell you'll be able to properly master all of those synths- by properly I mean really knowing the quirks, ins and outs basically what really sets them apart from other synths. All synths have some parameter that makes them preferable to others, but surely youre not able to delve deep into 75 advanced synthesizers. I could be wrong, in that case congratulations.
Personally, I followed the advice of an old production partner of mine, who just stripped his studio down to the bare essentials. I've done the same, and I'm really starting to reap the fruits from this now. I too used to collect softsynths like they were going out of fashion, but now I'm down to Ableton Live with the korg Legacy Collection, Arturias MiniMoog and Cs-80 plus my hardware kit. First of all, it aids me in creating a coherent sound throughout my productions. Second, and probably most important,I really know these synths well now - to the point where when I need a certain sound I will instantly know which synth to work from init to get just "that sound". My opinion, based on this experiment, is that you really don't need all that kit - its probably vice versa: A tight setup that you really know will often get you further than a huge arsenal of which you've just scratched the surface.
I guess if you are the type of producer that just sticks to presets it would be different, as clearly you'd need a bigger arsenal.
Just my tuppence anyway.
aint that the truth!!!!

Back