WHat are the best vintage synth instruments?

S

Sinister Grinch

Just looking for some suggestions yall... I plan on using them with logic so AU compatible is key here. THX in advance...

Ps. Im also trying to get some good bass plug ins and good sweeps and digital fx...

the Arturia collection:

Minimoog V => MOOG Minimoog Model D
CS80 V => Yamaha CS-80
2600 V => ARP 2600
MOOG Modular V => MOOG Modular
Prophet V => Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 & Prophet VS

G-Media software:

Virtual String Machine (aka VSM) => ARP Solina, Eminent 310, Elka Rhapsody, a.m.o.
M-Tron => Mellotron
Oddity => ARP Odyssey
impOSCar => Oxford Synthesizer Company OSCar

Small note: don't want to start a discussion again, but these are definitely the best software synths on the market; however the real stuff still sound a little different/better.
I own (or tested) most of the software mentioned herabove, and own (or owned) most of the original hardware models too - so I know what I'm talking about.

But don't worry; the sample-based G-Media synths (VSM & M-Tron) are pretty realistic, and the Arturia synths are still very nice, but just a little different than the real ones.
Cheers.

what i really noticed when i installed a analog synth simulation on my friends pc was that the sound quality was garbage....
It really depends if you have a good soundcard with good converters...

Now i understand why so many people say the Fantom/Motif sounds better than software romplers...

A lot of people have pointed out that one of the often neglected reasons why soft synths tend to sound a bit dull and alike is indeed that you're most probably running them through the same converters all the time.

There is a GIANT difference in sound quality between a stock SigmaTel (or whatever) soundcard and something like a MOTU 828 or anything from RME.

Good VSTs running through good convertors = awesome sound quality.

dansgold said:
There is a GIANT difference in sound quality between a stock SigmaTel (or whatever) soundcard and something like a MOTU 828 or anything from RME.

Good VSTs running through good convertors = awesome sound quality.
Absolutely true. I had a cheaper 24-bit soundcard before, but e.g. now I'm running the software through a MOTU 828mkIII, and the difference is huge. First requirement for achieving a good sound is spending money on a good soundcard and good monitors.

But still an Arturia Minimoog V or Minimonsta or whatever doesn't equal the sound of the real Model D Mini's; nor the very old ones (early 70ies), nor the latest made (early 80ies).
And FYI: the difference in sound between an early Mini and a later one can be pretty big too... Some people prefer the early ones (warmer sound, but often unstable), some the later ones (less warm, but generally fully stable).

I appreciate what everyone is saying about how your choice of soundcard will affect the sound quality of the softsynth if your mixing on a desk, but if your mixing inside the box it won't matter anyway as the sound will never actually pass through the sound cards convertors other than for monitoring purposes.

Last edited:
strict resistance said:
I appreciate what everyone is saying about how your choice of soundcard will affect the sound quality of the softsynth if your mixing on a desk, but if your mixing inside the box it won't matter anyway as the sound will never actually pass through the sound cards convertors other than for monitoring purposes.
dang, ur first post and u just shot urself in the foot. you contridicted urself in ur own statement. so you think that monitoring doesn't matter if your mixing in the box?
LevLove

LevLover said:
dang, ur first post and u just shot urself in the foot. you contridicted urself in ur own statement. so you think that monitoring doesn't matter if your mixing in the box?
LevLove
I wasn't suggesting that monitoring isn't important!!! I'm just making the point that having a card with good converters will not improve the sound quality of your recording if your mixing inside the box! Of course a bog standard soundcard is going to affect your monitoring situation and will normally sound like **** making it harder to program sounds, but there are plenty of producers who are getting releases on big labels in all styles of music, who use sound cards in the 50$ - 200$ range purely because they work exlusively inside the box.

Anyway as you can see I am new to this forum, I normally hang about here: ww.dogsonacid.com but decided to check out some other forums to try and get some more ideas, sounds etc and hopefully give something back as well.

Oh and if anyone is into using old funk breaks the site above has 100's of breaks/packs.

Last edited:
Back