Are there synth plugins that sound like Dr. Dre 2001?

exh0rder17

I really like the original sound of Dre's synth on 2001 like in "Next Episode" or "Forgot About Dre." Are there synth plug ins or samples that sound like that effect?

Chris "kinda" ;) answered the question, what you're looking for are those vintage analog type synthesizers like for example a moog. There are virtual instruments (simulations) of the actual keyboards availible, which I personally use and like, the stuff by Arturia is really nice and has that analog feel to it. The virtual instruments don't replace the actual keyboards and won't sound like the real thing plugged into a SSL, but it def can give you a nice sound and that bit of warmth which is hard to find in the digital world.

Check the new update on the beetmaker v3.0. It has 300 new analog moog sounds. It might help you for that Dr. Dre 2001 sound.

I use the Beetmaker VST for all my Dre sounds, just click on the "load" button, and search for the "Dr Dre Chrinic 2001" soundbank.

he uses nothing special just reg instruments and synth. its the chord progressions and melodies and HOW everything is placed is what makes dre dre

Seriously, there are tons of those sounds around everywhere. Are you really looking for the types of instrument sounds, or the overall production quality?

The reason I ask is that there really isn't anything special to those sounds. It is in the composition (how you use them).

You could get those types of sounds out of about four programs very easily.

I purchased Beet Maker 2.5 and it came with some nice west coast bass and even some of the sounds from 2001.

I'm sure 3.0 would be updated with all the great kicks claps and effects.

Beat Maker is the way to go for that 2001 sound.

Either that or learn how to mix the project like 2001. Dre has had Tritons MPC's Moogs, Live Bass Players, Guitar players, actual choirs ect..... on some of his projects, and really its all available to you.

You probably have an emulation of most things he used aside from the record samples that he's used.

Dont over think it, instead go into your patches and find one that sounds simular to his and then tweak it. Run it through a "warmer" plug in, or a analog simulation plug and mess with the eq.
Youd be suprised how close you already are.

Now talent wise, if you suck then you could buy Dr. Dre's MPC on ebay and would still suck.

Look how many people tried to emulate the Kanye or Lil Jhon sound in 2003-2006. Same patches and programs (especially since you saw them endorsing it in an add and bought it) but even still the tracks other people made didnt stand up often enough.

Question:
How many MPC kits are out there?
Triton, Motif?
808 kits
Moog VST's
SSL Mixer and Channel strip Plug-ins
Answer:
a ton of them, but how many people have talent and knowledge. I promise it isnt as many as the number of copies sold, of each of these programs.

Jordan shoes dont make you play like Jordan, they can only inspire you to play like Jordan.

Last edited:
idk

wen producing dont look for a certain producers sound be creative and make it ur own sound and ull go real far like that

Forgot about dre and many others were made on a motif. Dre is know for using 3 or 4 MPC 3000's when making a track. So he don't have to keep loading drum sounds.

ITS DRE'S EARS THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, NOT THE SYNTH. LMAO. . . J/K BUT. . .

Chances are your not going to get the sound you are looking for with those cords. they may not sound the same wit another melody! Dre is really great at layering and progressing strings. these sounds arent anything special. its his mind and ears you should be looking into.

Back