Synth Maker... OMG

i like how open it is... you create actual standalone vst devices... if they are good enough you can share them with the world (or start your own soft synth/fx business if they are really good).

also the UI beats all the others... it is gorgeous and more usable imho... i also haqve an older license of reaktor somewhere... nice but not as intuitive and fun to play with.

i am impressed. it is inspiring.
have you tried building a device with synth maker?

... i gotta start making beetmaker vst real! :D lol

-mano

i downloaded the demo of this a while back, made 2 cool vsts with it. trials expired though so i need to buy it to work on the vst in order to finish em. great program for those who like the sound design side of producing. the tutorials are very easy to learn too :D

mano 1 said:
i like how open it is... you create actual standalone vst devices... if they are good enough you can share them with the world (or start your own soft synth/fx business if they are really good).

also the UI beats all the others... it is gorgeous and more usable imho... i also haqve an older license of reaktor somewhere... nice but not as intuitive and fun to play with.

i am impressed. it is inspiring.
have you tried building a device with synth maker?

... i gotta start making beetmaker vst real! :D lol

-mano

Well, Reaktor is looking its age with the graphics side of things, but the thing Reaktor has over synthmaker is in the sampling/resampling/resynthesis aspects and grainular and glitch departments...which was my original reason to use Reaktor in the first place.

So, while I agree that it sounds good, looks good, it really doesn't do what Reaktor can do, so I use some synthmaker freebies every now and then, I am not a user of the program itself personally.

I do like seeing cool things made from it pop up though.

I'm playing around with Synthmaker for a while. You can just fool around with some modules or get real deep with all the primitives. Nice new toy :)

@ Trusty: in Synthmaker you can program your own sampleplayer from scratch with its own resampling algos (even with own C++ code embedded). The same with granular stuff. ;)
I don't know how deep you can get with Reaktor, but the only thing you could get below C++ code is raw low-level assembler. :)

Of course one would need to know HOW to do such stuff first, but it's there... :D

Last edited:
Ive been playing with the FL Studio 8 beta this week and it actually comes with a modified version of synthmaker, instead of exporting to VST it exports to fruity's native format.

It's awesome but I havent the knowledge to truly put it to good use.

BJv said:
Ive been playing with the FL Studio 8 beta this week and it actually comes with a modified version of synthmaker, instead of exporting to VST it exports to fruity's native format.
Well, it doesn't quite 'export' to FL plugin format, it *is* now an FL instrument (and effect) plugin and the scematics are the presets. ;) :)

Sqito said:
I'm playing around with Synthmaker for a while. You can just fool around with some modules or get real deep with all the primitives. Nice new toy :)

@ Trusty: in Synthmaker you can program your own sampleplayer from scratch with its own resampling algos (even with own C++ code embedded). The same with granular stuff. ;)
I don't know how deep you can get with Reaktor, but the only thing you could get below C++ code is raw low-level assembler. :)

Of course one would need to know HOW to do such stuff first, but it's there... :D

Really? I didn't know all that. That's cool. I just wonder why few, if any, devs pop that stuff out with Synthmaker.

I'll be on the lookout for something that can rival CList's Beat-Lookup ensemble.

Personally, I don't make much in Reaktor, I just use and modify existing ensembles to taste. But there are some beasts in the UL for Reaktor.

Last edited:
Trusty said:
Really? I didn't know all that. That's cool. I just wonder why few, if any, devs pop that stuff out with Synthmaker.

I'll be on the lookout for something that can rival CList's Beat-Lookup ensemble.

Personally, I don't make much in Reaktor, I just use and modify existing ensembles to taste. But there are some beasts in the UL for Reaktor.

Reaktor is too damn complex for me, that's the only thing I don't like about it. I couldn't even get the damn mixers to work! But I've heard the synths made with it and preset synths in it and they are great. Just wish I knew how to work the damn program lol.

I'll check out this synthmaker also, seems pretty easy and cool to mess with.

_SG_ said:
Reaktor is too damn complex for me, that's the only thing I don't like about it. I couldn't even get the damn mixers to work! But I've heard the synths made with it and preset synths in it and they are great. Just wish I knew how to work the damn program lol.

I'll check out this synthmaker also, seems pretty easy and cool to mess with.

Yeah, it takes some time, more than I have, so I just use it as a "catch-all" program for synths (as opposed to buying a seperate physical modeling synth, FM synth, additive synth, etc...since my need for those are less than my need for standard subtractive/wavetable fare), and bought it mainly for the included synths, the UL, and honestly, CList's Beatlookup module and the several glitchy ensembles that sprang from it. I'd imagine that Synthmaker would/could serve that same function for others that Reaktor serves for me.

Once you invest some time though, the sequencers, mixing environments, and all that come with it. However, just tweaking existing synths is really easier than you may think.

Last edited:
Trusty said:
I just wonder why few, if any, devs pop that stuff out with Synthmaker.
I don't know either. Maybe most people developing stuff for Synthmaker are more into generated synthesizing rather than juggling with samples? Can't really say because I'm not all that into it yet and don't know the community supporting and creating stuff from scratch for SM.
Nonetheless it's really fun to play with it. :)

Last edited:
I had a play with the version of it that came on a CM cover DVD last year but don't really think it's the right thing for me - if anything I need fewer distractions from making music, not more!

Also, there are many companies out there spending thousands on designing and making both hardware and software synths. I'm pretty certain that nothing I could knock together on Synthmaker would sound as good as what I can get on a 'proper' synth. I would probably do much better to just spend my money on a synth that is straightforward to program and can do everything that I want it to than spend a lot of time and effort on something that won't necessarily do what I want or sound how I want anyway.

IMO it's kind of like the difference between me going out and buying an Armani sweater or buying knitting needles and wool and making one myself...

Filo said:
I had a play with the version of it that came on a CM cover DVD last year but don't really think it's the right thing for me - if anything I need fewer distractions from making music, not more!

Also, there are many companies out there spending thousands on designing and making both hardware and software synths. I'm pretty certain that nothing I could knock together on Synthmaker would sound as good as what I can get on a 'proper' synth. I would probably do much better to just spend my money on a synth that is straightforward to program and can do everything that I want it to than spend a lot of time and effort on something that won't necessarily do what I want or sound how I want anyway.

IMO it's kind of like the difference between me going out and buying an Armani sweater or buying knitting needles and wool and making one myself...

I hear that, but there is an upside you may be forgetting. While all this complicated synthesis stuff is past many of us, including me, sometimes, at least with Reaktor, cobbeling together a simple little synth from parts of other great synths to do one thing perfectly can be very useful.

For instance, I made a nice little bass synth using some oscillators from one synt, and used the filter from another synth, changed the GUI to match up, and BAM, a go-to bass synth that only has what I need it to have. Oscillators that sound good, a nice filter module, and some envelopes with a clean interface without the bells and whistles...sure it is boring at face value (a simple bass subtractive synth), but it does exactly what I need it too.

I was looking at the Synthmaker screenshot for FL Studio, and I noticed someone had made a synth JUST for supersaw sounds and nothing else...I thought that was a great idea. One purpose, and everything is dedicated to that one purpose.

Things like that I find more useful than creating those mammoth modular synths programs like this are known for. Taking what other people do and tailoring it to personal needs.

hey those are great points my friend!

inspirational post.... making an arsenal of DEDICATED, simple devices that get your job donene without extra stuff you dont need.

very nice... i plan to dive deep into SM as soon as i find some time fr my music.

.. i may even combine this with some other projects i have... hardware / interface ones ... ;)

Obitheincredible said:
I keep hearing about you and this project. What is it exactly?

Just a personal project. Until I have details, or construction details, I can't say clearly :)

Nothing big. Still thinking about the goals

Synthmaker is limitless

Since this program was installed in our "lab" we have been amazed with the seemingly endless options available to its users. Hands down our best efforts have accomplished the anticipated results of Celemony Direct Note Access. Although it once seemed impossible in theory thanks to Melodyne we decided to take a stab at it. Alas we have extracted separate midi data from mixed music with the ability to shift reconstruct, deconstruct etc...Virtually any composition. Surprisingly it is a safe bet that the new Celemony will not meet any release date with their aforementioned claims. The video gets you excited, the reality is mind boggling. Since this program is nonexistent we have been using it exclusively in our studio environment for remixes. The options are limitless. We are discussing some beta testing so perhaps we will leave a message here later for those interested. All executed via Synthmaker! Until later Cheers...eers

Back