Software vs Hardware

tanseer

With the current crop of software synthesizers does one really need hardware?and for what?.

feedback please.

I don't use hardware, but many say that software is no where near as warm and phat sounding as real analog hardware. I think that softwareis advancing so well that there is nothing you can't do with it, and I would just like to have one nice hardware synth to sample. Its up to you, but don't let anyone tell you that software can't do the job, because they are just too afraid to take the next step. I've actually heard people say that software scares them, they don't click with it, and hardware is what they'll always use. Whatever gets the job done is what you should use, try as much as you can to see which system suits you the best artistically. Thats my view. Peace-

knobs to twist
buttons to push
portability
no crashes
character

soft synths kick *** but I'll continue to massage my waldorf XT's 44 knobs nightly.

i agree software is amasing but the feel of twisting a knob and tweaking the sounds is where its at

Yeah, but you can use midi controllers so you can tweak stuff with knobs. Software can be just as hands on this way.

You Choose

:hello: Software is software. Hardware is hardware. I like hardware better but you chose for yourself. Try each out and pick which one you like better.

The Key is to have Both.

I think you need them both. Each has it's particular advantage, and each is so different that it's useless to say one is better than the other. I love my software, but I'm definitely gonna purchase a digital hardware studio / multitracker because I hate programs like Cubase , Logic, etc... They're good programs, but they don't flow with the way I like to work.:cool:

Software is a lot cheaper as well. It is a good way to get started. When I get a lot of extra money to burn I will probably upgrade to hardware.

Mondern Hardware has a chip and requires programed software to run it, you just dont see the software like on PCs its linked to a physical peice of hard ware Now Computer software uses a chip being your cpu & Sounds card and software to use these chip in your PC. Both Hard and software use a chip and software to run them the only thing is you have no hands on with software unless you get a phatboy controller of somthink.

Its when you start to compare VA synths to Computer software where the real issue is. For instance theres a software version of the Access Virus via Protools and you can't hear any difference between the Hardware and software versions.

I use both to do different jobs and cant do without one or the other.

Personly I dont like the idear of having a virtual recording studio behond what Cubase VST provides
I like hardware for personal reasons and for people who cant afford the real thing software versions are fine.:hello:

club.gif

Last edited:
I love the sound of my VIRUS B synth... Although I also have REAKTOR, PRO-52, REASON's SUBTRACTOR, even a PULSAR II DSP system with a collection of synths for it (almost hardware), and other great software synths...

I believe my Virus B kicks them all by far... I don't know.. it's warmer, it's wider, it sounds just excellent. I feel something different when I hit the keys..

I agree

yes, I agree that software synthesizers still have some catching to do, but they are so close that they are really an alternative. I used to have a nice studio setup with lots of machines that I am gradually selling, since my dream studio is a only computer, to use as generator, sampler and recorder and a controller to play and tweak. Going live, you know, burn your set in a CD for safety, borrow a laptop and tweak it life. We will get there soon, so I just keep my Korg Prophecy for the fat analogue and control and the rest is computer, a nice sound board, a fantastic mic and even better monitors.

Iv got the Virus Rack does the extra features of the Virus b make a big difference againts the Rack ie one less osc.

ManoOne said:
I love the sound of my VIRUS B synth... Although I also have REAKTOR, PRO-52, REASON's SUBTRACTOR, even a PULSAR II DSP system with a collection of synths for it (almost hardware), and other great software synths...

I believe my Virus B kicks them all by far... I don't know.. it's warmer, it's wider, it sounds just excellent. I feel something different when I hit the keys..
cowboy.gif

software, be it synth or drum can come nowhere near to competing against its hardware equivelant on sound,
just put them side by side and its like a mini and a ferrari, sorry but thats how it is despite what magazines/people say. the only ones who will tell you otherwise are those who only have software and have never used hardware. computers just dont have the dynamic range and simplify the sounds. would you use a computer to play an electric guitar or cello, well its just the same thing.
software has its place in that its is cheap and accessable, people can get into it with not much investment or space and for that it should be applauded but if you wanna step up from home music maker you gotta invest in hardware.

PHUCK HARDWARE, with a capital PH, You don't need it. Only if you are an analogue purist do you need hardware.

Even performing live you don't need it. On Saturday, I saw a guy called Alpharisc, who played live with nothing put a PC, Midi Keyboard and controller. He is probably the best live act I've ever seen.

Im sure that he is good live but I could never use only software for the studio but thats a personal choice.

Im not a analogue purist either, Im sure in time that a recording studio will not need hardware apart from a Mixer comtroller and PC but I cant see that happening.

A Computer will never replace a hardware effects unit untill one can process a sound before its been recorded to a Wave.

Software is still an second rate choice to hardware
and always will be as far as Im concerned.

each peice of new hardware has it own limitations but performes to what it was made for. Each peice of hardware has its own processor to cope with its own demands. The Yamaha SW100XG sound card has a MU100 sound chip plus it own hardware processor.

To run everythink via computer I would need some powerfull PC with Protools runing. I cant do one without the other.

Im sure that with no hardware at all I would be more than happy with the quality of my music I produce, but that's not say! PHUCK HARDWARE thats going to far mate.:rolleyes:

yo tribal,
betcha all his sounds came from hardware though and were just sampled into his computer to make his live show easier. same as most people do to make it easier, live is nearly always usually a trade off between the original tracks and what can be done simply on stage, as such many elements are left out. guaranteed he wasnt using softsynths or rebirth etc. etc which is what this discussion is about. software versus hardware. softsynths drums etc against hardware equivelants.
would you use a computer to simulate a guitar or a cello....no well its just the same thing.
why dont you use your phucking brain ( with a ph) before you jump up and down.

Chill out Neil, it's not personal, just opinion.

No, this dude only uses a Computer to make and play his music, he has released a couple of EP's that have have sold well in Europe aswell as Aus.

Well I guess you should also think about the type of musioc he makes, which is fairly hard techno.

Also how would you Synthesize a realistic cello without sampling?

BTW, I am not a newbie to producing, I have been making my own tracks for about 4 years, and I have, and still do own a lot of hardware, although I have sold a lot of it because I don't need it anymore. I am just speaking from personal experience.

the whole point was that you couldnt synthesise a cello, if you wanted a cello sound you would play a cello, if you wanted a guitar sound use a guitar etc etc. you wouldnt use a computer to make the noises as it would be very very second rate. in the same vein, if you wanted a 909 sound get a 909, if you wanted nord lead sound use a nord lead. even though they are electronic instruments it is exactly the same situation despite people trying to reason otherwise, a computer trying to replicate these sounds cant do it well, it may sound fine to someone who has never heard the original but it is so far off.
the sounds that comes from a computer generated sound is just nowhere near yet, it sounds too simple and too clean and digital.
you can spot a track made on a computer a mile away. it doesnt have the depth or width of sound and is just to clean. nothing fights against each other and it just doesnt work right.
on the subject of the artist, i dont know anything about him but i do know how an inumerable number of other artists work. i find it hard to believe that he makes his tracks using only a computer and nothing else. perhaps as a sampler and sequencer yes but not as a source of instrument noises. it just would sound crap. you say he makes techno, well thats my genre too and to be honest, it makes this all even more unlikely. to make techno you need a bit of dirt in your sound which you definately cant get with a computer. i dont know of anyone making techno who even would use a digital desk, you need the ability of analog to distort into fuzz rather than just crack.
as i said , live performing differs loads from studio working, you have to compress everything in to the smallest possible amount of stuff, (unless you are orbital or something) as such people usually take a disk with most of the parts of their set and load it up into cubase so that they are all there waiting to be built up throughout the night, sometimes a synth or drummachine too to do some fx and even more often they will take a DAT with the tracks all set out and play some stuff on top of it. it would be intersting to find out what he uses in his studio though i think.
i get p!$$ed off with people jumping up and down in here because they once saw some guy do something or because they have been doing it for 5 minutes and are now experts. you try to offer some advice to folks because when you were learning you had nothing and it was hard and it just gets rammed down your throat by the people you are trying to help out who actually dont know squat. if people ask for advice thay should be open to hearing info that sometimes contradicts what they think. they should be willing to think about it before getting all animated and immediately writing it off just cause its not that they want to hear.
can i ask what hardware you exchanged for software?
cheers

Okay, I shouldn't have been so dramatic, it's just that, I believe that in the near future you will be able to do pretty much everything you do with hardware, on software, and for people just starting it could be a waste getting hardware.
Alpharisc's EP is on www.wetmusik.com which is distributed through Prime(what isn't?) check it out I'm sure you'll find it dirty sounding enough.

To be honest there definitley are pieces of hardware I would never replace with software, like a 909, or a modular.
The stuff I got rid of were things like all my drum machines; Drumtraks,606(both modded),a few boss's, also a couple of synths; Microcon, minikorg700, and a sampler Akia S950.
I have kept a Dx7, and a juno 60, which I am slowly using less and less.

I do agree that a normal home PC cannot replace a full studio, but one specifically designed for music is damn close.

Anyway that's all I've got to say .
:cheers:

Back