Software synth question

Psionic

hi,

I just discovered this forum 2 days ago, and I think it F***ing rocks! For the past couple of years I've been fooling around with a Yamaha SY85, and I've had some fun with it, but I'd like to take things to a higher level. Now thanks to you guys I've discovered the world of software synths. So before I go and buy a new computer and some good software(probably Reason from what I've read), I'd like to know if the quality from this software is as professional as it seems. basically what I'm asking is why would you buy thousands of dollars of hardware when you could get the same quality for a lot less? Sorry for the rambling. :)

Yes and No

Let me start by saying 2 thing i've learned in this buisness: Money makes abig diffrence
The more you pay for a unit (if its not areal F@#% one) will almost always be adirect indication of what you can get from it so if you wanna put money in to it i would personnly save for hardware
BUT some of those softsynths out there are damm good! professional? i would have to say very close and with agood sound card why not? the REbirth is a very sophisticated Emulation and the Rubber duck i gotten sounds just like anord lead out of it so if you got avery good soundcard to sample these softwares at ahigh bit and freq
in conclusion no you cant get away paying less if you wanna be really creative and not be stuck with the same "Engine" Sounds but its agood addon to amix or agood way to start making music just for your knowledge heres afew real nice softsynths you should check
Fruity loops
Rebirth (lots of modpacks for more sounds and drums)
Rubber duck
Stomper (Kick synth)
Simsynth (Awesome riff synth)
Audio sim(Best virtual analouge synth to my opinion works in dos though)
AXS (another classic analouge dos synth)
REeaktor (complete destruction works great with virtual midi cables and has an awesome modular engine)
VAZ modular (Amazing piece of software i would say with some FX this one Sounds Exactly like areal synth :)
Dt Drumstation( nice little groove software get good samples though to load in it the preset sucks bigtime)

Search for in on the web lots of record and save enabled demos for them bet youll find something for your desires
Bom,Sly-fi

Sly-fi,

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to go with some software as a starting point, and maybe if I win the lottery I'll expand from there. Obviously if its anywhere near professional quality I'll be happy with it, after all, I'm starting starting with this stuff. Right now I'm playing with the Orion demo, and having a blast. I'm defintely going to need to upgrade my computer though, its only a Pentium Pro 150. More than 3 tracks it freezes up. Damn this s**t is fun!!

Thats the spirit Man keep it up and lets us know how you do :)
Bom,Sly-fi

you better get a pIII

greetings dude.. good that you are saving money.. let me tell ya, that cubase, acid, logic and many other software require a pentium III to utilise them to their fullest extent. if you are gonna use your computer for live performances then a pIII is the minimum, you gotta have. and get loads of RAM and a fast HDD..

cya around ..

I have also always use softsynth like reality and Buzz, but I have one thing to say that have always bugged me about software:
A computer and programs goes DOWN!
A hardware synth DOESN'T.
Very big difference there, and if you buy a workstation your MIDI sync wil be OHH so precise. Not that jumpy hell your computer makes somtimes.
But you can get along way with software synths and it is a good way to learn how things work.

greets ..DJ Chriss, my computer has not turned me down.
also , try the new Reason from Propellorheads. It is damn sexy and cool .. something every musician would want..
it is a dream come true..

Back