Recycle

1-2punch

Hey I've been usign Reason 2.5 for a month now and its pretty good but now i wanna get more into sampling. Ya know like from old cds and vinyl and then have it looping in reason to build a track around. I just got Recycle which seems great for this but I have one problem. Recycle requires you to set the number of beats and bars before you can save the loop as a rex file. I don't know how to set this up in order to get a perfect loop. Please help

well if you hold your mouse over the "bars" box it says in the status bar:

"Number of bars between loop points".

and if you hold the mouse over the "beats" box, it says:

"Number of beats between loop points".

Not sure if that'll help, but the help file wasn't very helpful. In my experiance
of sampling from records and bringing it into recycle, i usally just set the bars to 1 or 2. I think a general rule is to trial and error the two "bars" and "beats" setting so the BPM works out to what ever you've set in reason.

I registered here just so I could reply to this message, so I hope you feel special.. hah or at least I helped someone out.

Just trial and error the beats bars till the BPM are what you need. If you find that the sample is still slow or fast when playing in Dr Rex, change the note in the pitch changer( looks like a shaded key ) Sometimes having the BPM set wrong can have some interesting effects on a sample and the whole composition so experiment with it.

you can also just count out the sample. Listen to the groove and count along with it. you'll be right most of the time.

aeyst said:
Just trial and error the beats bars till the BPM are what you need. If you find that the sample is still slow or fast when playing in Dr Rex, change the note in the pitch changer( looks like a shaded key ) Sometimes having the BPM set wrong can have some interesting effects on a sample and the whole composition so experiment with it.

Hmm, thats not the best piece of advice...
If the loop bpm is not corresponding to the bpm of your track, you haven't sliced the loop properly. When done correctly the loop playing off the Rex player should be slave to the bpm count of your document. Don't farkin change the pitch to squeeze it in there, thats lazy, and lazy will never get you anywhere in music production. If you change the pitch because your after the effect that gives then thats another story. DO NOT do it to change the tempo, as you are changing the charachter of the loop as well.

You should just be able to count bars/beats in the file as it plays. Tap your finger, count in your head, whatever.

Bars/beats is not advanced music theory and is simply basic to hearing and playing music. Paul Rez says it best, count and you're usually right.

Last edited:
Back