Reason 3.0 and ReFills problem

Shovel

Member of Project Mayhem
It's been a while since I posted here. After 9 years of using hardware, I switched to Reason 2.5 last year. A week ago, I decided to buy 3.0. Anyway, after reading the forum (several, in fact) I could not find a true solution to my problem.

When I installed 3.0, I reinstalled all my refills as well. Problem is, I'm not able to find them in the Reason browser. It's as if the folder is empty. The only ones I do see are the Reason Sound Bank and the Orkester Bank. So, how do I get my refills to show up?

I've tried selecting "All instruments" rather than the perticular device. I moved the refills to a separate folder... nothing. I know they're there because my old songs still play sounds from those refills. Does anyone have any ideas?

The only place I put refills is in the main reason folder, so there are no problems with me locating refills that I want.

If you have refills located in a refill folder, then you need to make that folder search for refills within Reason 3. The only problem you could have is that you put refills in a seperate folder than the default refills.

Another problem could be is that you are looking at the micro window on the left when browsing refills (which show the reason sound bank & orkester sound bank refills only) and the main window on the other side (which is double the size atleast) needs browsing down using the mouse and will then see all refills if your refills are in the Reason folder.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
id run a search via windows for the refills in question and move them to the main reason folder for some odd reason Reason wont find them if they arent in that same folder atleast thats teh case with 3 i dont remember if it was in 2.0,2.5

As of right now, all my refills are on the main reason folder. I do remember trying the search feature on the browser to no avail. But I'll try again. Anything else I can do?

Ok, here's what I learned. The search function in the browser works fine. I left the search field empty and selected "All Instruments." The search resulted in every patch I have, apparently. So, to find the sound I'm looking for, I would have to look through every patch, or narrow the search down by inputing search criteria such as bass, piano, drums, etc... Good to know.

Now, how would I be able to search through the actual refills as one was able to do in 2.5 or before?

Last edited:
just go to the directory the same way u would in 2.5 the look is different but it all pretty much works the same

Xabiton said:
just go to the directory the same way u would in 2.5 the look is different but it all pretty much works the same

That's the problem, the directory/folder appears empty.

Shovel said:
It's been a while since I posted here. After 9 years of using hardware, I switched to Reason 2.5 last year. A week ago, I decided to buy 3.0. Anyway, after reading the forum (several, in fact) I could not find a true solution to my problem.

When I installed 3.0, I reinstalled all my refills as well. Problem is, I'm not able to find them in the Reason browser. It's as if the folder is empty. The only ones I do see are the Reason Sound Bank and the Orkester Bank. So, how do I get my refills to show up?

I've tried selecting "All instruments" rather than the perticular device. I moved the refills to a separate folder... nothing. I know they're there because my old songs still play sounds from those refills. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dont know Reason but i like that sig and wanna join Project Mayhem...

wait the 1st rule is i shouldn't talk about it huh...****!!!!

Last edited:
JunkOne said:
Dont know Reason but i like that sig and wanna join Project Mayhem...

wait the 1st rule is i shouldn't talk about it huh...****!!!!

That old thing? I've had that up for over a year. Unfortunately, you cannot join an organization that doesn't exist. In other words, I don't know what you're talking about ;)

Continuing with my problem, the manual says you can add folders and refills to the Location list. But it's pointless because the Reason folder is apparently empty. Hey, at least I'm reading the manual!

I couldn't replicate your issue. Make sure that the folder is not locked or encrypted, or anything else that would cause something not to be able to recognize the files. Try a re-install and see if that helps also.

I'm having the same problem. When my refills that I had before I installed Reason 3 are in the main reason folder, nothing shows up in the directory. But when I remove my refills from the main reason folder or put them in a separate folder in the main reason folder, I can view the contents of the main reason folder, such as the demo songs, orkester and factory sound bank refills, etc. and other folders. But then when I open other folders that I had put in there, containing Rex files, refills, and patches, nothing shows up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just discovered something, but it's very hard to explain in writing. I found that I also had 2 refills that weren't visible through Reason. But I also found that these files were some sort of "mirrors" to two other files which had similar names, but longer titles. It was like the two invisible files' names were truncated. To make a long story short, I started moving the shorter named files in and out of the Reason directory and eventually, I realized that the files with the longer names had vanished, even though I never moved them to the desktop. But suddenly, the files with the short names were there and functioning properly. So, I have no idea what exactly the problem is, but it does seem that somehow, these sets of files were one and the same, but one was only mirroring the other. Reason wasn't able to deal with the mirroring thing. Eventually I got "Windows" itself to deal with the mirrored files and then Reason was able to see them normally, but there are now only two instead of 4. LOL. Hope that helps. Look to see if there's anything wierd going on with the file names or other files with similar names. Move the problem files to the desktop. Try renaming them. Move them back. Try that kind of stuff. It sovled the problem for me.

Edit: I found another one that wasn't visible via Reason's browser. I dragged it out to the desktop. Get this. Now I navigate to the desktop and I see a new refill, only it's not the same name as the one I dragged out. The name is again similar, but not the same. So via Reason the file is called "Black II Black Bangin BeatBoxes.rfl". Looking directly at the desktop in Windows, the file is called "BLACKIIB.rfl" The intersting thing is that When I was browsing via Windows, there was/is a file there called "Black II Black Bangin BeatBoxes.rfl". Again, these two files seem to be somehow one and the same. Windows shows multiple files, Reason only sees one. I'm certain that this problem occurs somehow during the process of moving refills around. I've been moving these refills around since years ago. Backed up on externals, other hard drives and other computers. When I reinstall Reason, I just grab a ton of stuff and move it into the Reason directory, including the Reason Factory refills. Sorry to make this longwinded but I like to get to the bottom of problems.

Last edited:
I finally got mine to work. Some what. For some reason, my refills would not show up until I removed a certain refill "(D&B Refill) Explosive Jungle (Dazza).rfl" from the folder. I'm not sure if that refill was corrupt or why Reason didn't like that refill. But there are still some refills that aren't showing up. Now I have to try to get my patches and rex files to show up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am too using reason 2.5 and have the same problem my reason cant show the refill patches.... i am so broken after downloading them...

i got my answer reason adapted cant open refills so i think i need to go with reason 3 for now for budget purpose..............

i got my answer i am unable to open refills because i am using reason adapted which is not able to open refills ... u need to have fulll version for that.,. so i am thinking of going with reason 3 .... lets check my budget................

Last edited:
Your refills will not show up automatically, you need to locate to your refill folder and drag them to the list, Factory Sound Bank etc are built in there - that's why they show up automatically.

Is that some kind of weird limitation of the Adapted version? Reason doesn't care where a refill is. I can access refills from anywhere, external drives, desktop, anywhere.

The first refill i got was an redrum 808 refill, so i opened it by opening a redrum and then opening the refill as i would with a redrum patch on the machine.

Try this, if you refill is with a malstrom etc try openin it as a patch within the malstrom.

Solution

I had the same problem a year ago.
Quick fix:
1. Copy and Paste or drag an audio file (mp3, wav etc) or a Reason session file into your Refill folder
2. If you are using Windows XP: right click on the audio file and select Properties then click Change next to Open With then select Reason as the initiating program
3. If you are using Mac OS X right click and select Get info then follow the sam procedure as the former.

I hope it works for you the same way it worked for me.

Back