Orchestra VST's

Obitheincredible

Your Mom's Best Friend!!!
I am working on a musical and I am looking for
a - piano's
b - orchestra's
c - sound effects.
I have no budget. give me freeware all the way to the unbelievable. I have looked just curious to see what people recommend. ONLY RECOMMEND IF YOU ARE USING IT YOURSELF. Please no I tried it once and it was sweet. I want people to give me their experiences with them also. I have reaper, FL and reason. I never really use to much pianos and such anyways but I'm working on something where it'll be important and the customer is paying for everything. Anybody else do a project like this? any tips?

I would have to say IK Multimedia Miroslav Philharmonic or if you are looking for the insane I woud say the East West Collection. I stopped using East West because it was a little too real for rap/r&b imo. But it should work well for a musical.

Last edited by a moderator:
check out DSK AkoustiK KeyZ if u want a free piano, has 3 presets. for strings give synth 1 a look, also free. superwave performer also has nice pads, a friend of mine uses it

agree, dsk makes the best freeware vsti's that i'm aware of. as far as sound effects, any vsti will do, just learn how to automate the knobs and use some creative eq. fl is a beast at automation.

other than vstis, my best recommendation would be to go soundfont searching.

**edit** oops i misread, i thought you were just looking for free stuff. if your not paying, my recommendation would be get komplete 5. if your partner will pay more, maybe get east west symphonic orchestra as well for more detailed orchestra sounds. that should pretty much have you covered for the rest of your life lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking komplete. Also was thinking about sample libraries. I have a few soundfonts. Where can you buy some quality ones?

suke said:
For orchestra get Edirol HQ Orchestra. Best sound but kinda expensive so iono.

ummmm, far from best sound actually. and dirt cheap compared to the others.

to the op: check out kvraudio.com, that site should have you covered.

Ya been there I've done all my home work. Io was more interested in the opinions of people that actually own these.

Komplete will give you some decent piano's and the ability to tweak for some good sound effects. However, I suggest finding something else for your orchestral needs. I used Philharmonik for a while but had to use so many layers to get a full sound that I was struggling for processing power in almost every song I made. I picked up Komplete 5 a while ago hoping that might satisfy most of my needs (hip-hop/experimental/movie score type music) but found the orchestra sounds pretty thin and weak. I am currently looking into getting EastWest Orchestra because I've read so many good reviews. Hope that helps.

Back