Motif plug-ins for Logic or how to import sounds HELP

P

pharaoh1tay

Sup guys -

so here's the situation:

I have my motif (classic) board and would love to use the sounds from the motif into my logic pro, but i dont want to use it as audio (its just better to actually edit my notes in logic rather than audio waves).

- i have a lot of instrumental tracks saved on my motif keyboard

- i would like to re-use some of those melodies in logic but its a hassle to redo the melody.

- i am able to record the melody notes from the motif into logic but in order for me to hear the sounds back, i have to choose a sound from my logic library (software instrumental).

- i would like to chose my motif sounds instead.

is there a way i can do that? if the motif actually sells the plug-ins for their sounds, that would be a whole lot easier because that way i can just load up the sounds into my logic program...

i dont want to record the whole thing as MIDI because i will not be able to hear back the tracks recorded when i mix down... unless there's a way to convert the MIDI notes into audio after its been recorded into logic as MIDI.

but basically, i am able to record my notes from my motif fine. i am able to hear them back and mix them down fine (by choosing sounds from my logic library sounds).

the one problem is using the actual motif sound.

can you help me out?

Here is my setup:

1) Motif Keyboard - MIDI IN going OUT to "presonus audiobox."
2) presounus audiobox - MIDI IN going OUT back to motif board
3) USB cable connecting directly from the presounus to my IMAC computer.
4) audio cables connected from presounus audio box going onto a mixer (just the hear the sounds).

again the issue isn't with hearing the sounds... its with using the actual motif sounds. i am able to record the notes find but can only mixdown with sounds from the logic sound library.

much much love folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have moved exclusively to soft synths so I don't remember the technical steps. But, you want to set up an environment for the Motif in Logic. You also need to play around a bit to figure out how to record midi files from external instruments to audio...it's pretty straight forward.

I think you can find the environment file here:

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe.htm

YOu might also search around on other Logic forums. I used to do exactly what you are wanting to do with my Triton xtreme before I sold it and it's not too hard, I just don't remember exactly what I did.

If you're able to record midi of the Motif into Logic, then the rest should be no problem. The idea is that the midi triggers audio. Create an audio track and set it to "monitor" the sound being generated by the Motif. The Motif's outputs must be routed into your sound card on whatever channels, and your audio tracks should be able to "hear" that audio which is being triggered by the motif's midi. This way, you get the midi and you hear the Motif's own instruments via the audio track's monitoring. You can edit the midi and set thie "monitor" track to actually record when you're ready and now instead of just listening, it will actually record what it hears from the Motif as audio in the audio track. Make a new track and do that with your other Motif instruments and you'll have the entire thing as both midi and audio. Make sure you mute the midi track or you'll have double sounds playing. The only thing messy in this is Logic itself with it's environments. You need to understand a little bit about how that works in order to set it up right.

L.A.,

Thanks for the time in breaking it down man. I kind of get what you're saying but i'm still stuck.

so basically i should choose an audio track in logic to record the melody from my motif then create a new MIDI track in logic and copy the same melody?

i attached my logic set up regarding this... let me know if i'm doing something wrong.

thanks again boss

Back