Miroslav Philharmonik Reverb

Beats_BANG! said:
I bought the Total Workstation Bundle (the first one not 2) a while back, got it for 250 from music123.

I've got to say, I haven't really used but a few patches from Sonik Synth, which is probably the best VSTi in the collection. Miroslav seems to be geared more towards film scoring, and classical composition, not that you can't use it for any other genre. Sampletank is the most worthless of the 3 on there. Its like a hodge podge of samples from their other VSTi's thrown together, but it is an awsome sampler.

Bottom line is, it's a nice bargain to add some patches to your collection, but if this would be your only source for sounds, I'd say you might be dissapointed, but if you have a nice hardware workstation, you'll prolly love it.

(Oh and the organs and choir patches on there, are the BEST thing in there.)
That's what's cool about MP though, you can use it in R&B/Hip-Hop, whatever, and you still have the option to get into scoring if you want to.

Dj Maranello said:
That's what's cool about MP though, you can use it in R&B/Hip-Hop, whatever, and you still have the option to get into scoring if you want to.

Indeed, it's all on how talented you are and how you work your equipment.

Most definitely.

I need to get back to using it more, I need to run it through my MPC for sequencing, I started off using only VSTi, then went all hardware when I bought my MPC and TR, but then I got ahold of some good VSTi (Total Workstation Bundle) I think sequencing thru the PC iis what's put me off initially. I just can't do the PC thing, live sequencing and pattern creation just works for me....

One cool thing you can do with Miroslav, to get a 'sampled from vinyl' effect, throw the cabinet simulator on there, don't use the fx that adds crackling, its not that great, but the cab/amp simulator adds a nice warm touch.

Beats_BANG! said:
Most definitely.

I need to get back to using it more, I need to run it through my MPC for sequencing, I started off using only VSTi, then went all hardware when I bought my MPC and TR, but then I got ahold of some good VSTi (Total Workstation Bundle) I think sequencing thru the PC iis what's put me off initially. I just can't do the PC thing, live sequencing and pattern creation just works for me....

One cool thing you can do with Miroslav, to get a 'sampled from vinyl' effect, throw the cabinet simulator on there, don't use the fx that adds crackling, its not that great, but the cab/amp simulator adds a nice warm touch.

Ahhhhhh that's cool. I have hardware and software, I mix them together and come out crazy! I have the Triton Rack with Orchestral cards from Peter Siedlecheck and my Roland 3080 with Orchestral II card inside of it and it's amazing! I can throw some TL-Space on my strings and Massey Saturation gadget and BAMMM! it sounds impeccable!

Does anyone have any tips on the panning of philharmonik? Cause the string samples all are either way left or way right, do I need to combine them or is there any option that can make it sit more in the middle?

I pretty sure there's a pan pot somewhere on there, I'm not at home or I'd check. It may be by the level in the little track screen, ya know where you select you different tracks... Look there...

BJv said:
Does anyone have any tips on the panning of philharmonik? Cause the string samples all are either way left or way right, do I need to combine them or is there any option that can make it sit more in the middle?
The thing i know to do is to turn the pan knob until you can hear it in the middle, thats supposed to be panned already for you, but it probably won't be used like that in every situation, because i used the pan knob on there before.

BJv said:
The reason they are set that way is because of placement in a real Orchestral set up. Of course turn the pan button on the phil, and turn it until you hear it going up the middle or however you want it.

I figured that but if I turn it to the left or the right so the sound is in the middle, it still sounds a little weird to me.

DaNOC said:
The reason they are set that way is because of placement in a real Orchestral set up. Of course turn the pan button on the phil, and turn it until you hear it going up the middle or however you want it.

Thats actually pretty cool, I guess Im gonna have to work it like a real orchestra too.

BJv said:
I figured that but if I turn it to the left or the right so the sound is in the middle, it still sounds a little weird to me.

Thats actually pretty cool, I guess Im gonna have to work it like a real orchestra too.

Ok if it sounds a little weird to you that's because you are bringing it out of it's natural stereo field, but it's also flexible to be modified personally by, say like you. If you do turn it to the right or left and it's going up the middle keep it there. The sheen is what you hear, and you have to get your ear use to it. Also whatever DAW you're using make sure on that track, the stereo field is turned hard left hard right and a stereo track not mono. Hard right would be 5 O'Clock and Hard left would be 7 O'Clock. Let your ears get use to the sheen of the sound.

Peace :sing:

yo danoc i was thinking of getting the full version of miroslav but how many more sounds does the full version have cause i think the classic edition has like 250 sounds

M-dagreat said:
yo danoc i was thinking of getting the full version of miroslav but how many more sounds does the full version have cause i think the classic edition has like 250 sounds
The full version has alot more sounds, 1,050 more sounds than Classik Edition.

M-dagreat said:

Miroslav Philharmonik Orchestra

• Over 1,300 sounds and 7 GB of samples
• 16 part multitimbral sample-based orchestral workstation
• 20 Classic DSP effects, 4 per instrument
• 3 synthesis engines with STRETCH™
• Easy to use classical music-oriented parameters
• For MacOS®X, Windows®

That's a lot of sounds for the Buck, I always go for the big dog, not the little one lol 250 sounds is like a demo to me lol So yeah on the real upgrade when you can. And it comes with the CSR reverb that's HOT!

Last edited:
Props for the advice. A little stereo imaging can help a lot. I still can't get the desired sound for the staccato stuff but I think I might get there with a little more tweaking.

ya might as well get the full version with all those sounds but whats the deal with the whole ilok key i just found out that you have to use with miroslav so basically how it works is you plug the ilok in your usb when ever you want to use the software or is it alot more complicated than that

M-dagreat said:
ya might as well get the full version with all those sounds but whats the deal with the whole ilok key i just found out that you have to use with miroslav so basically how it works is you plug the ilok in your usb when ever you want to use the software or is it alot more complicated than that

How are you? Well when I bought my Philharmonik, it came with it's own red dongle and I have used it ever since. At one point IK told us to down load a certain version and I would be able to work it without the dongle. I did, and it didn't work, so I put the Dongle back in and it works fine, so I keep it there.

Yes, you put the iLok in a usb port, preferably the usb ports in the back. when you put it in LEAVE IT THERE! Do not take it out and put it back in everytime you work with the Phil. Only time you should remove it is when you're getting a new program put on the iLok.

when you take it out make sure your computer is OFF! Also put it back in the same usb port you had it. Don't take out the iLok when your computer is on, and don't try to put the iLok in the usb port while your computer is on.

My Phil has it's own Dongle and my other programs have iLok so I have two dongles in two different usb ports, the red dongle is strictly running Phil.

:hello:

BJv said:
Props for the advice. A little stereo imaging can help a lot. I still can't get the desired sound for the staccato stuff but I think I might get there with a little more tweaking.

Yes, as producers, we must advance ourselves from just making A BEAT! I am not considered a BEAT MAKER, I am considered, A COMPOSER, OR PRODUCER, because I am involved in the process of a music product from start to finish. I know how to record a singer, sounds, etc. I understand the serverity of the studio and sound quality and I am computer savvy. I also understand how to arrange a musical composition so it won't sound boring, and I know how to engineer.

I now understand the serverity of the stereo field and producers if they really want THEIR sound to be heard, to master this and understand the realm of the stereo field. This can be to your advantage as a producer. When I first started I use to clog 15 sounds into one stereo 2 track field. As time went on I learned separate your sounds and eq them to give each sound it's own characteristics.

this will show the amateur vs one who hasn't obtained that knowledge.

Just look at the stereo field as a clock, only thing is hard left stops at 7O'Clock and Hard right stops at 5 O'Clock, it doesn't go 360. Only way you get to 360 stereo is when dealing with 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1, this can make the sound go directly behind the head at 6 O'Clock. The natural impluse of sonic sound which makes the audio sensory cortex react and hear in a different positon, far superior than our normal hearing.

Now from what I have found out on my own, and I am going to drop this science down only once, copy and paste this and keep it for your records and for the newbie one day you will see what I am saying.
I have studied the stereo as a clock like said, but it gets more intrigate than that.

from 12 O'Clock all the way back to 12 is 360 degrees. Now from one number to the next is 30 degrees. from 12 to 1 O'Clock is 30 degrees, so knowing this, I have made a rule for myself to use each 30 degree angle as my SPATIAL DEPARTMENT. this is what I call it, I don't go outside of the 30 degrees, also I understand to tweak my sound and frequencies so if I was to put two sounds in the same 30 degree department they will not clash. Also there are software that give spatial squeeze on a sound, waves have the S1 Stereo Imager, also Nomad has one in the effects bundle and I have one from Wave Arts, which is pretty dope, I can go 360 around the head and 360 inside the head for an up close spatial direction. It's called "PARANOMA 5".

2ivb7ms.jpg

I also do all of my production in my head phones, mixing also, I use the Sennheiser 600 HD head phones, which don't sit on the ear, but around the ear, creating a room like atmosphere. I left the monitor sweet pot years ago because I wasn't getting what I wanted to do, so the head phones suit my purpose better. Now I don't recommend everyone to do this, but my ears are set for this and it's good for ME.

This is the break point of a producer knowing his/her production knowledge. You must look at the stage of a perfomance group. You have Drums, two guitars, violins, synth, piano, percussion and a singer. When you produce you don't need a thousand sounds to make a track, if you are good with melodies and counter melodies you will understand just using the instruments I said above is good. You will have to place each instrument in their desired place within the stereo field, once you understand that, you will be ok.

When you hear on the radio a track, you get the whole stereo field, when you hear that same track in your head phones you will hear each instrument has it's own spatial place and panned at different angles, and will sound much more different than the radio stereo field.

So basically learn the stereo field and how to place the instruments and you will see a turn in your music production.

I try to help when I can and if I know the subject, I don't want to be some jack ass when someone doesn't know some thing to pounce on them just because their new to it. Either I can help them or keep my mouth shut! No one helped me I had to go through years of trials and error but it paid off. It's not cool to hurt someone's feelings just because they don't know. Also to help one's self, READ READ READ! You can read up on some thing you don't know and end up finding what you needed to know and more about some thing you don't, that will probably help you out in the near future.

Study your craft and know your tools.

Last edited:
Back