Maybe a dumb question...

T

Tebriel

I'm not even sure if what I'm looking for even exists, but we'll see. (First time visiting this site)

What I'm looking for is a good program(s) that I could use to create "real" sounding music, without --any-- equipment, other than a computer with speakers and a sound card :P. I don't mean MIDI stuff (I've played with MIDI before and it seems far too limiting in the number of different types of instruments you can use among other things.)

I'm looking for something that enables you to use a very large variety of types of instruments, that don't sound like a nintendo game. Preferably with the ability to add different types of instruments/sounds, through some means.

I've seen a few really good MIDI composer programs that I was able to figure out but the instrument selection was always too limiting... are there any programs out there that give you a very large variety of instruments to use to produce MP3 quality sound?

Or-- how about a program that let's you load a MIDI file and replace each track's MIDI instrument with a "real" sounding instrument?

I've already looked at Acid, which seems to require you to record your own wav files, which is something I can't do with no "real" musical talent, hehe. What I need is something that let's you "program" your own wav files, so to speak.

I've also looked at Buzz and I think it --might-- be able to do what I want, but I didn't spend enough time experimenting to really find out (it seems pretty complex). Complexity isn't a problem... I'm sure I can learn it if I put the effort in, but I don't want to waste any time on it if I can't do what I want using it.

I'm just a programmer doing this as a hobby... and I noticed that you can customize Buzz somehow using MSVC 6.0, so if Buzz will give me this capability, great!

Is there anything out there with this capability? (Or does Buzz enable you to do this?)

I don't think you get it

MIDI can be anything, MIDI isn't a type of sound, it's a way of messaging something to make a sound. You probably use like wut your soundcard is making, which sounds lame, but MIDI is a great thing, used for all types of high quality music.

BUY REASON

If you have the money, it's a sampler, synth and much more with high quality action.

Hmm

Well, obviously you can tell I'm new to this stuff.

I was under the impression that "MIDI" only encompassed the crappy sounding nintendo type of music that you find on websites once in awhile.

I'll take a look at that...

Back