List of catagories all FX fit into...???

Eplanet

so is there generally agreed upon list of top level and sub catagories that define how effects manipulate sound? since im new i dont think i can give alot of examples to clairify my question...

like a reverb, is that a type of echo? and "distortion", would it be the name that other effects fall under (crunch,concrete wall,etc), or is it actually a sub-catagory of some other name used to define how to manipulate sound?

if i want to quickly tick through the possible ways to manipulate my sound, and then further narrow my choices, where is list/info that would help?

thx, ppl at FP r gr8

nobody?

maybe some exp'd can just quickly name a few......something, even where/how to start searching for this answer plz

thx

I'd say that effects have gotten more and more complex over the years, especially with the advent of VST's, so really categories are starting to fail. There's way too much crossover and lots of new categories getting invented all the time.

Some editing and composition techniques could be considered "effects" which makes it even wider.

thx krushing, going over that link for first time now. im sure it would help if i knew the 1000's of terms used to describe stuff, but ill muddle through. u've answered a post or two of mine b4. again, thx alot...

Audio_effect

(i cant post links yet)

this page at wikipedia

this has a list under Techniques. i dont know how inclusive it is, and it isn't worded for layman/newb, but its something like what i meant.

if anybody checks it out and knows something they ommitted, maybe they can post here??
:cheers:

Last edited:
That "techniques" list is a bit all over the place, both in definition and with the examples provided (for example the "definition" of flanger offers a strange tidbit of history, but doesn't really state what it actually is - a slightly delayed signal with the amount of delay constantly changing mixed with the original, thus producing a comb-filtering effect), so I wouldn't stare at that list too much. Most DAWs already have a basic set of effects with them and there's at least a couple of free plugins for each category, so the best thing is to head over at KvR, download a few and start to listen how the different effects sound like - that's the most important thing after all, not the tech behind it.

If you're on a PC, the Kjaerhus Classic series offers a comprehensive (and free) set of basic plugins.

Categories:

Delay
Dynamics
Filter/EQ
Distortion

Almost everything else is a variation on these effects. Even a lot of pitch shifters are based on delay algorithms.

thx donnie, that really does help. exactly what i meant & great for newb to know!
(another post for me, how many til i can post links btw?)

Back