Korg Legacy Collection

krushing

Korg Legacy Collection

A softsynth package reproducing some classic Korg synths, namely the MS-20, the Polysix and the Wavestation. It also incorporates a 'LegacyCell' plugin which essentially allows you to easily patch together two devices, either Polysixes or MS-20s, add effects to them and mix the output directly from the plugin.

There's also a MIDI controller available, which is a replica of the original MS-20 (in 84% size of the original).

Any thoughts/experiences on this? I've used all of the original synths to some degree, and it seems the software versions are pretty good.

PS. I realize there was some discussion on this in this thread, but I thought it deserves it's own...

Ive heard it ....incredible!! I better start saving some pennies:)

Computer music magazine (may 04) gave it 10/10 said the sound was excellent does hit your CPU hard though that shouldn't matter with that many hosts having freeze fuctions nowadays...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok the freeze function sucks ass. It takes forever to do in Cubase Sx 2.0 at least. I also find that when I load large projects and don't even have any effects open in fills up the memory. I just get everything to audio asap and forget about the probelms. Everything is in audio anyways in the end.

Fluxburn said:
Ok the freeze function sucks ass. It takes forever to do in Cubase Sx 2.0 at least. I also find that when I load large projects and don't even have any effects open in fills up the memory. I just get everything to audio asap and forget about the probelms. Everything is in audio anyways in the end.

1)Freeze takes forever..Does it ?..more like 30 seconds.

2) Get more memory!!!!!!

3) Get everything to Audio asap...?
what if you want to edit later on in the mix...Bad move.....thats what the Freeze is there for!!!!!!

I have a gig of cosair memory... More? what 4 gigs?

I am sorry 30 seconds is a long time.
Lots of pro's record everything to audio right away. Get it right the first time and save time. What if you have a giant modular system that you grabbed some sounds from? You can't save those sounds hahaha. Besides once you get to audio you can do all the nice mixing that makes a song kick ass.

Yay! AMS had ONE in stock so i grabbed it, cant wait to have a Wavestation again, bought one in 91 and sold in 1997, wish i woulda kept it even tho the O/S was kinda buggy. This new one should be sweet, not a real big softsynth fan yet but i think im gonna become one real quick!

Currently play a Triton EX-61 and Roland Fantom XR. Love the new Triton and havnt explored the Fantom much yet but will get back to ya!

If you really want one go here:

http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...ry=41786&item=3723891781&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I got one a few weeks back also. Great stuff for sure. all but the controller which I cannot get to be recognized by P5, Sonar or when using the synths standalone for that matter. I hope there will be a driver fix. Anyone have experience with the controller?

did I mention I love the synths? the wavestation is amazing, and as I said on another thread, the legacy synth is incredible. I love this thing, if only I could get controller to work.

got it at Audiomidi which shipped it immediately and I got it in 2 days.

I presume you know the controller only works properly with the MS-20 , some tend to believe that the 3 synths were all separate projects that Korg decided to merge together at the last minute and thats why the controller knobs don't work on the wavestation & polysix...

CANE CREEK said:
I presume you know the controller only works properly with the MS-20 , some tend to believe that the 3 synths were all separate projects that Korg decided to merge together at the last minute and thats why the controller knobs don't work on the wavestation & polysix...

Uhh, that would be strange since they all respond to normal MIDI CC's. And they all have the sample super-simple MIDI learn function...don't see a reason why the controller wouldn't work with the others too.

According to a review in may 04 computer music magazine The bundled controller straight out the box controls the MS-20 , it only part controls the polysix synth and doesn't do anything specific for the wavestation (althought you can of course play all the synths with the keyboard)..............

first, I did get the controller to work today. I went and checked the FAQ at the Legacy registration site and it mentioned that if you are trying to use the controller on a different USB port than the one you installed it on, then it won't work. I hadn't heard of anything like this before, but I uninstalled and installed again and amazingly the thing works now. whatever, as long as it works.

anybody else sick and tired of spending half out lived working out technical and driver glitches with programs. massive buzz kill it often is.

anyway, all is well now. oh, and you are right that the controller is obvsiously configured to work mainly with the MS-20, but you can use the knobs to a certain degree with the other synths through the midi learn or CC assignments. I've got another knob controller for that though so I'll just be using it with the MS-20, wich is totally cool for me.

hey wutup everyone, i just got the korg legacy, the sounds are bangin, but i cant figure out how to record. i prefer using sound forge or cool edit, but i know u have to use vst plugins, so i went and got a bootleg version of cubase, but i cant get legacy to work with that either. if anyone has any tips or knows how to get legacy to record using any software, let me know!

In cubase its easy just press the record button.....I don't think your problem is recording im guessing that because your new to cubase your probebly not sure how to make make a midi track open a vst and connect them all together ?...Basicaly using these vst's you really want to be learning how to use midi.

Not sure what a bootleg version of cubase is ? if you mean a cracked version then pirate software is not tolerated around these parts,I'd advise you to buy an original copy and you will get all the support you need.

No its not pirated. I figured out how to get the legacy set up with cubase, but since I'm new to cubase I'm having trouble saving the files as WAVs. Even when I go to preferences, and choose WAV as the record preference, the only option I get for SAVE AS is a cubase file. When I record, it is in a grey box with red around it and it says midi. Any advice? Thanks

Man, I just had a dissapointing experience trying to check out the Legacy over at Guitar Center.

First off, I couldn't find anyone to help me that seemed like they even knew how to operate a computer. It was set up on a display, but the rig it was connected to had these puny little speakers, and who knows what audio card in it, and the thing just sounded so incredibly weak & thin. Then the dude working there starts twidlling away with it (more like fumbling around cluelessly), while some other dude decides to hammer away on a keyboard right next to me real loud (these are both GC employees). So I eventually wander away, and before I leave the store like 15 mins later, I glance over & both these jackazzes are still goofing off on the equipment & totally ignoring me.

Sorry for getting off-topic, but that really pissed me off. I guess they aren't interested in actually trying to sell me anything. :confused:
I'm still wondering what the thing sounds like.

It sounds really good on nice comp speakers and w a Soundblaster Audigy 2 or better sound card, the Wavestation sounds just like or better than the original.

It sounds really good on nice comp speakers and w a Soundblaster Audigy 2 or better sound card, the Wavestation sounds just like or better than the original.

Back