iLok plug-ins

D

DJ R. Sun 84

Do you need to leave these keys plugged in when using VSTI that require them for registration? I'm not too crazy about dongles and anything aside from a jumpdrive being left in my computer.

ilok's annoy me.
most common reason is when the device dies, u have to purchase a new one and go thru the online registration process.

but its ok, most companies support it.. as such antares. so a single ilok can store up to 100 licences.

Do iLoks STOP you from using\installing your plug-ins on other people's computers??? or do they ENABLE you to use your legit plug-in's elsewhere???

Solomon_Gomez said:
Do iLoks STOP you from using\installing your plug-ins on other people's computers??? or do they ENABLE you to use your legit plug-in's elsewhere???

ilok is essentially the usb device which stores the "licence".

you can install the VST library etc on ANY computer.... but to USE it, u need the ilok plugged in.

so now days, your no longer paying to OWN the software/vst... you are only paying to use the licence.

eRiCz said:
ilok's annoy me.
most common reason is when the device dies, u have to purchase a new one and go thru the online registration process.

but its ok, most companies support it.. as such antares. so a single ilok can store up to 100 licences.
They can keep supporting it ,i hope they are magically gettin money too cuz they ain't gettin mines ,when they package that lock crap with their software.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its not bad... so far it hasnt affected me in anyway.

though theres some instances where ppl suddenly lose their licence.

my other concern is when the ilok dies.. u have to purchase another one and go thru that online rego crap -_-

eRiCz said:
i think its not bad... so far it hasnt affected me in anyway.

though theres some instances where ppl suddenly lose their licence.

my other concern is when the ilok dies.. u have to purchase another one and go thru that online rego crap -_-
excactly why i would never buya program that carries one,cuz what if it jacks up and i dont have money at the time to replace it? that means i can't use the plugin.lol they can keep their software if thats the case cuz im not buying nothin with a usb key ,i would buy software that has less hassle ,cuz thats too much trouble to use a dang on plugin ,i think they lose sales like that too ,i mean why do they need to waste money on trying to protect a program that is able to be cr@<}#d ,better yet why waste money on protection that has the potential to kill future sales to people who dont want the hassle of an Ilok?i think as the H@<}e&$ get smarter with breaking down their protection ,companies get desperate and dumb ,and start to resort to bullying people with lawsuits, possibly losing more customers.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
well theres other aspects to this debate as well..

think of it like... why does joe blow get free "warez" copy of fl studio, whereby i paid $450 for it.

and with respect of the company that make vst, daw's etc.. its the programmers who make the magic happen.. so they dont make money from their hard work.

but anyways, i suppose when it comes down to it... if u love the VST or woteva then buy it. FOR LLURRRVVV BABY!

eRiCz said:
well theres other aspects to this debate as well..

think of it like... why does joe blow get free "warez" copy of fl studio, whereby i paid $450 for it.

and with respect of the company that make vst, daw's etc.. its the programmers who make the magic happen.. so they dont make money from their hard work.

but anyways, i suppose when it comes down to it... if u love the VST or woteva then buy it. FOR LLURRRVVV BABY!
True ,i mean look at that program Reaper ,it basically has no type of protection and they give you the full working version to demo ,and its still selling cuz its such a good program ,these companies that don't make money need to goto the drawing board to see why(Waves)lol they charge an arm and a leg for nothin but a virtual license and get mad when they cant sell anything ,then try to get the ban piracy corparation to send spies in studios to find out who is usin bootleg versions of their plugins to bully them into buying by threatening lawsuit.lol or to block off certain privelages to their existing customers who do not want to update to their latest versions cuz of the Ilok will be needed ,man for a greedy company like that ,i would be happy for the bootleggers to drive it out of business lol ,but i feel for the programmers. companies need to get smarter than i lok tho.

They get spies to go in studios??? Sneaky sons of b*tches...that iLock ish is wack tho. I'd rather just buy vst's that don't use it...

I run my set-up out of my laptop so real estate space is limited (midi conroller, mouse, jump drive etc.). As cool as the eastwest stuff is There are no legal ways I can think of to get around resorting to the iLok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILok

^
to me this doesn't sound too convincing.

Are there any plug-ins out there that can rival the eastwest stuff (thats Vista compatible) that don't use iLok keys?

dabeatdoctor1989 said:
then try to get the ban piracy corparation to send spies in studios to find out who is usin bootleg versions of their plugins to bully them into buying by threatening lawsuit.lol or to block off certain privelages to their existing customers who do not want to update to their latest versions cuz of the Ilok will be needed ,man for a greedy company like that ,i would be happy for the bootleggers to drive it out of business lol ,but i feel for the programmers. companies need to get smarter than i lok tho.

Man are you joking? lol Spies? lol hahahaha lol hahahahaaa is it that serious? I left Waves a long time ago, even made a video talking about how they charge to much. Their stuff is hot, but they are greedy like you said. There are other products out there that can do the same job, I have everything I need without them and my music still comes out John Blaze! How the heck are you going to charge more fees after you've bought the product? lol Then when I went to sell it they put the smash on me telling me I had to spend over $200 just to sell what I had. I am like what in the world! I threw out their product, I lost money and I will never buy from Waves again !

Protools and my music production tool kit holds me down along with My Powercore Firewire, with plugins. Off the chain! I don't need waves! They got the nerve to send me an email with Tony Maserati version of his own Plugins with them. I know he is a dope engineer but he aint getting me to buy NOTHING from Waves! They can keep that. I have a reverb that's way better than theirs, compressors etc.

My iLok works perfectly with everything I have. No problems.

www.myspace.com/rahdanoc44

Last edited:
DJ R. Sun 84 said:
I run my set-up out of my laptop so real estate space is limited (midi conroller, mouse, jump drive etc.). As cool as the eastwest stuff is There are no legal ways I can think of to get around resorting to the iLok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ILok

^
to me this doesn't sound too convincing.

Are there any plug-ins out there that can rival the eastwest stuff (thats Vista compatible) that don't use iLok keys?
Well I just bought Storm 2 from EastWest(16,000 sounds), and I use an iLok, mines work perfect. I am getting the Orchestral strings next along with the Choir joint. I didn't know it was coming out later this month so I have to wait. There's nothing on the market set up the way EastWest Quantum Leap has their stuff, but Vienna Orchestral seems to be top of the line, but it's expensive as a mofo, they go all the way up to $10,000 and they use their own key.

http://www.ilio.com/vienna/special.htm

What is the problem that people are having with the iLok? I bet cats not synching it right.

If you want EastWest Orchestral and other sounds might as well get the iLok! You won't be sorry.

HIT THE THUMBNAIL ATTACHMENT THEY HAVE THEIR OWN KEY

www.myspace.com/rahdanoc44

Last edited:
Back