Fl Studio/Reason 4.0/MPC 1000

saudoff2005

what's good people ...i have a serious question here....i'm an artist that makes my own beats...i did a coupl samples and what not....but i strictly wanna do my own beats....i have an mpc 1000, fl studio and reason......when i use the sounds i have in my mpc i get a good original sound that can be used......but when i use fl studio...or reason....i get a computer like feel from it...no matter what i do.....is there something i missing here?

saudoff2005 said:
probably true...but i'm trying to find out what i can do fo fl studio and reason...?

Add a lil swing to it. That''ll give it a more natural feel, ya dig.

In FL it's easy to do...slide a bar and your good. They also have some pretty elaborate features on it for quanitization.

In Reason it's a little more tricky, but you still can do it.
Go into the sequencer, highlight your drums, and slide em a little, or slide the last note in a sequence over. There's other ways in Reason too, but I'll let you discover em...

Mpc sync master

Also, u wanna make sure that the mpc is ur sync master, if u slave it to one the programs, then ur gettin the program's timing instead of the mpc's "magical" timing. It has more bounce/swing/feel to it then the programs (default) settings do. Now if ur talkin bout the sounds themselves and not the "bounce/swing/groove/shuffle" i can't help u there. Experiment, play around, try some wacky off the wall stuff with efx, routing (especially in Reason), and panning. Hope this helps!
Peace,
LL's

Why do you have to use FL's sequencer window, U can use battery or if U don't have it use FPC. Play the drums live,don't program them, and in the end quantize them manualy + set the PPQ to 768 for more acurant recording.

alot of info...i tried the swing and it just seems to change the beat a lil bit...and i thought quanitizing was for correcting off notes...are there any effects that i could add...because.. tho i luv the help....it's kind of confusing to me...and i still don't hear much difference.....

i dunno if this helps but...

in Reason the sounds are really dry and i add reverb and delay to everything

and use the combinater, layer synths and strings it gives the sounds a fuller and bigger sound

also use Stereo Imager and EQ

if u do all that u can get some great sounding stuff from the Reason Stock Sounds but i suggest gettin some Refills, like if u can find a good Motif one u can mix those in with the Reason Sounds and get some legit ****

hope that helps

in Reason 4, the quantize, pitch, velocity, note length, etc are all displayed in the tool window, which is very easy to use and it's right on the screen.

i appreciate all the answers everybody but between fl stuido and reason all the different methods r still killing me.... i think i might save up to try and get a phantom....unless anybody has a saved preset of what they do in either fl or reason to get that (i didn't make it on the computer sound) then i could know exactly what should be tweaked...

Back