Cupwise LoFi Reverb IR Collection (tube radios, tape delays, & more), Part One

cupwise

Lo-Fi Reverb IR Collection, Part One | Cupwise FX

This collection of (mostly) reverb impulses includes a wide range of sources. Not everything in this set actually is ‘lo-fi’, as it also acts as kind of a ‘catch-all’ for stuff that doesn’t fit neatly into the other categories of impulse reverbs I’ve put together (plates, springs, real spaces). The main group of impulses is a batch of reverbs I created by running various reverb sources (hardware and/or software reverbs) through old tube radios from the 1950’s, often times using subtle feedback to modify the reverb, and sometimes using the radio speaker in a real space to provide the reverb. These things sound super unique due to the filtering and tube qualities from the radios.

The next largest batch is a set of tape delays from a SRE-555. Some of them are single taps, but there are several multi taps and those can be used almost like reverbs in some cases. These all use various amounts of delay and different EQ settings so the tones you get from them can vary greatly. Some of the single tap ones make great doubling effects.

Then there’s a batch of spring reverbs from a JVC spring unit which I paired up with my eurorack modular synth, using 8 different patches including various analog filters/filterbanks, a digital delay module, several vcas, distortions, and even an analog phaser module. I think these are pretty unique so just try them out!

Last there are a few samples from an old piece of gear that uses a length of a garden hose, piping audio into it with a speaker, and picking it up at the other end of the coil with a mic, producing a very short (and colored) delay. I had it sampled in both the stereo and mono modes. It’s a one trick pony but on occasion it’s a great doubling effect! Stereo mode uses two different lengths of hose, producing a slightly different delay time between each channel, which gives a pretty cool little haas/doubling kind of effect. Mono actually runs the audio through both lengths of hose which gives a longer, mono delay. This thing can be really cool for use with vocals, synths, and lots of other things, as a great doubling effect on occasion.

Different levels of input drive were used during sampling, producing up to seven ‘dynamic steps’ for every sampled spring reverb setup in this set (most have two or three). Altogether there are 164 impulses in this collection. In this particular set of impulses, the different dynamic steps can actually sound very different, due to the nature of the sampled reverb sources. 44.1khz, 48khz, 88.2khz, and 96khz collections are available for download to all purchasers. You should use the sample rate that matches your project when possible.

Be sure to check out the audio demos to hear this stuff in action!

Also want to point out that I have a limited time 'introductory price' so consider acting fast so you don't miss out on that!

Back