Cakewalk Project 5 vs Propellar Reason 2

prezidentace

Hey all. I have a question I love music and I have been using Project 5 to make beats and stuff like that. What is the differance between P5 and Reason? Does anyoine use it?Should I get both. ALL I know is P5 is a loop something and Reason is aVirtual Insttrument whats that mean. Should I have both. And last should I get Sonar 3 what does it exactly do? Please help me no one answers me usually with exactly what im looking for. Thanks to all.:cry:

Project 5 is not a loop something and Reason is not a virtual instrument.

Both programs are for the same use with different tools to use. Try them and see what you like.

Go to a search engine and type in Sonar and it will give you plenty of places to research what it is.

thanks i will take your advice on that but project 5 is a loop sequencer and reason is a software instrument that emans that one will give you different sounds and you can builkd upon it i was just wondering if somone has both and how doies it sound and if they like it. So in short i am still lost about project 5 vs reaSON I KNOW ONE YOU CAN BUILD ALL WICKED SOUNDS the other IS MAILNY CONSTRUCTING LOOPS so if anyone else may have anyideas and can help me plese read my first thread and help.If you dont beleive these have classifications go here and look them up yourselfs

http://cmpg2003.emusician.com/software_instruments/index.htm have fun but please if you respond make sure you give l;egit info but thanks for trying to help

:confused:
You shouldn't need both products but you can have them both if you want them of course. They are competitors so one does pretty much what the other does with slightly different features and different sounds and synths and interface.

Reason, Project 5, Cakewalk Pro Audio, Sonar, Cubase, etc... can all be loop sequencers. All that means is that once you reach a set end, it will return to the beginning in a loop.

If I must do the work for you:( then here:

Project 5:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Project5/default.asp

Reason:

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=whatisreason

Sonar:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/default.asp

:(

prezidentace said:
... project 5 is a loop sequencer and reason is a software instrument ...

You are quite simply wrong.

Both pieces are "virtual studios" or perhaps "virtual workstations". They both contain virtual instruments, sequencing and looping tools.

The major difference between the two is that Reason is more close-ended, while Project5 can use 3rd-party VST instruments and FX.

Re: music

prezidentace said:
hey my man what is the differance between sonar and reason and p5??

Oh hell nah, read the damn links. I'm sorry, but you're being too lazy.

This is worse than you asking how to remove vocals in Reason/Project 5/Sonar.

Re: music

prezidentace said:
hey my man what is the differance between sonar and reason and p5??

erm, why are you asking this again when you already asked it in your 1st post, and were given all the necessary links?

He's probably asking because he's never used any of these products and without having done that, he can't evaluate for himself what is important about each, how they differ etc.

And so he's asking us :)

prezidentace: Forgot those definitions. If emusician claim that Project 5 is a loop anything first, well...they should stop smoking their advertising profits.

dansgold is right, they're both considered "soft" or "virtual studios". I don't think this term is entirely accurate for Reason - it's not complete enough to be an all-in-one-studio-solution - but it's good enough to be a handy definition for the two of them.

dansgold lists one major difference between the two, another would be their workflow. Each program has its own approach: Reason aims at emulating a hardware rig, down to cabling them together, whereas Project 5 has gone for a more abstract, less "real" interface, while trying to offer similar interconnectivity between 'devices', just using a different metaphor.

In other words, they're both tools for creating music. Both offer facilities for playing samples, synths, rhythms and loops with varying types and degrees of control over each. The main way they differ is in how much they inspire you when you sit down to them.

I sit down at Reason and all I see is routing potentials, whereas when I looked at the Project 5 demo, I just saw a slightly gaudy interface that I couldn't be bothered to puzzle out (no offence to the Project 5 fans, but the interface just didn't engage me to experiment with it in the same way Reason's did).

If you're seriously interested in finding out the differences, I recommend downloading the demos for Reason, Project 5, Orion and FruityLoops. Play around with each for a while and sticking with the one that makes you spend 6 hours playing with it without your noticing. After a month of getting to know it, take a look at the others again.

Unfortunately, we can't, in my opinion, just compile a list of qualities that each program offers and tally up the result, since ultimately it's the intangible things like how you work with the program that outweigh everything else.

alex23 said:
He's probably asking because he's never used any of these products and without having done that, he can't evaluate for himself what is important about each, how they differ etc.

And so he's asking us :)

Gawd... I'm glad you pointed that out.
I hate when it's obvious that someone
doesn't really know the basics of
comp software and they ask for help
and the "seasoned" folks blast them
and calls them lazy.

Going to a manufacturers web-page
to obtain info is NOT gonna help
a total newbie. They will NEVER
be OBJECTIVE in telling you what
the program offers. Everything is
"the best" and "the latest greatest".

So, if you don't feel like helping a
novice out with first hand experience,
then simply don't reply.

alex23 said:

I sit down at Reason and all I see is routing potentials, whereas when I looked at the Project 5 demo, I just saw a slightly gaudy interface that I couldn't be bothered to puzzle out (no offence to the Project 5 fans, but the interface just didn't engage me to experiment with it in the same way Reason's did).

Yeah, P5 assumes that you have Sonar
eXperience. The interfaces are similar.

Its easier to cater to already established
Sonar customers rather than have them
have to learn a new interface. So, some
people might not have the same problem as
you (and I, admittedly) with the interface.

but I agree, Reason, as it's based on
real gear set up, leads more to experimentation
than P5.

It's taken me 5 months to break open a
part of a track in P5. In a month, I
had several songs completed with Reason.

Plus, there's no tutorials that i know of for P5.

There's a SOLID one for Reason that I
recommend to ANYone, actually done by
M-Audio.

Hey physix!

The thing is, I totally understand Carnage's position as well. It amazes me the kinds of questions that I find here sometime...one guy was actively defending his decision not to consult the manual over a minor question. Generally, if you can phrase it well enough to get an answer from a forum, you already know the keywords necessary to use the help.

Seriously, my advice to all new producers is find a handful of immediate resources and utilise them. This site's forums are a great one but you're engendering a situation where your inspiration is hampered by waiting for other's...and you never want that.

Thanks for explaining P5's design philosophy to me, that makes a bit more sense now. My previous 'mentor' spoke about Cakewalk products the same way that you and I might talk about syphillis, so I've no real experience with Sonar.

The comment about tutorials is a good point to make as well. I'm currently smitten with the scripting language Ruby but as it was developed in Japan, most of its support is incomprehensible to me.

The Producing Music in Reason you mention is excellent, especially given its focus on actually producing music and not just the usual powering up the tech and running it through it's paces that most seem to settle for.

It really should come bundled with Reason...

I'm going to jump in....

Part of the reason why some of the newbie questions can be so difficult for some members here is because many have
never used any of these products and without having done that, he can't evaluate for himself what is important about each, how they differ etc.

And so he's asking us

But I wanted to add to that. It's not just the software that many haven't used......many haven't even made music before and I'm serious about this. There seems to be a misconception that I can now make music because the software makes it possible.

So, how do you pick the software that is best for YOU? Well, it's mainly because you are trying to figure out how best to get your musical ideas into one place where you can mix it into a great song. I need multitrack audio because I want to record my guitars and voice. Others require MIDI because they are using a keyboard and synths. Some may want to bypass the hardware end of it and use software synths. So, you need to figure out FIRST how it is you are going to go about making music, then decide through experimenting with demo software that these companies provide and see if it helps your work flow and makes sense to you.

demo's are a wet dream.

i had $700 burning a hole in
my pocket and was SO anxious
to get software that I went on
ahead and got Cubase VST 32/5.

Well... that SCUKED ... the
interface was horrid and I never
used it.

Had I DL'd a demo, I could have
seen that I wouldn't like it...
that it wasn't condusive to HOW
I created music.

(sx is a dif't story, tho)

Originally posted by Storm But I wanted to add to that. It's not just the software that many haven't used......many haven't even made music before and I'm serious about this. There seems to be a misconception that I can now make music because the software makes it possible.
This is a great point to make. I was trying to help a new MPC owner by explaining the basic approach to replacing one drum loops sounds with your own; while I haven't used an MPC, I assumed the approach would be transferable in some way.

He just reposted the question elsewhere. From his tone, I got the impression he felt there was a 'Rip off Dre's sound' button somewhere that I was just not telling him about.

Before being shown how to use FL about 18 months ago, I'd never even though I could write music. Initially, I couldn't even identify some elements as individual sound let alone describe structural elements of a song, but trying to recreate what I was hearing made me actually start to listen...

Reason inspired me more than FL, so I moved to it pretty quickly and spent 8 months just making drum loops. That my loops sucked so much made me start reading up on drumming, getting an idea for the physicality of it, since you don't have that in software. This wasn't enough, so I started taking drumming lessons. I suck but I'm understanding how it all fits together so completely differently from how I was even 6 months ago.

Some friends and I have also started taking joint hand drumming classes. Do you know how much fun can be had from 7-8 people banging away on djembes, bongos and congas for an hour?

I know they have their supporters but I don't like the Reason synths, neither of them have ever grabbed me in the way that the ReDrum, DrRex and NNXT units grabbed me. So when I first heard z3ta+, I really started thinking about sequencers, since here was something capable of generating some amazing sounds that I neeeeeeeded to use. I played around with Cubase SX on some friends' setups before settling on Nuendo 2 when it launched...for me, being able to share info with people is an important part of this process, mostly because it just makes my life simpler :) so I wanted to be able to trade tips and ideas easily, and the similarity between the interfaces helps with this.

I guess what I'm trying to do is show how I chose the tools I'm using and how they reflected my discovering what elements appealed to me in music. And also to illustrate why I really do think that it's not what you use, it's simply you that is important.

And seriously, demos rock. Even if you have a nice workflow, check out the occasional new software release. Everything does something differently and it never hurts to have new input.

Thanks for raising that point, Storm, it vocalised something that's been sitting in the back of my head for a few weeks now.

I guess what I'm trying to do is show how I chose the tools I'm using and how they reflected my discovering what elements appealed to me in music.

...and this is the number one reason why I frequently visit sites like this: to learn how and why others have made the choices they have where software and whatnot is concerned. Demos can go a long way in shaping that decision-making process, but hearing detailed comments from those who've spent some serious time with the item in question makes that process all the more easier.

Sifting through the mountain of random clutter is a chore at times, but there really are some jewels of wisdom to be found in discussion forums like this. I can honestly say I've learned quite a bit through the informed comments and experiences of others on this site who have "been there and done that" with one piece of technology or another. Needless to say, their earlier headaches really helped prevent me from creating future headaches of my own.

DM

Not to start an argument but I stick to my comments.

To me it looked like the same thing was being asked. If something new was asked, I don't mind helping at all.

Hopefully what you wrote wasn't a waste of time and he had the chance to read your reply to his question.

Back