P5's website has some tutorials that
you COULD use to determine "yeah, i
think i want this program".

propellerheads' website's tutorials
would only help him if he ALREADY
had Reason (which we know he doesn't).

so going there wouldn't have answered
his question.

Personally, I think that Reasons main strength is that it emulates hardware. This is only useful if you have previous hardware experience.

Project5 on the other hand has its interface designed for a computer.

That said, I would never give up VST to switch to a cluttered interface like Reason's.

boddum_feeder said:
Personally, I think that Reasons main strength is that it emulates hardware. This is only useful if you have previous hardware experience.

Project5 on the other hand has its interface designed for a computer.

That said, I would never give up VST to switch to a cluttered interface like Reason's.
This is, actually, why I initially started out with FL instead of Reason; I felt that sticking with a hardware-emulated interface missed the point of doing it all digitally. Eventually, I began to realise that the strength lay in its routing capabilities...and honestly, if I couldn't follow something on the interface I just didn't understand what it represented, and I wouldn't have understood it initially in any other package either.

Now the Reason rack is second nature to me, I don't have to think about using Reason anymore, I just use it...which is why I couldn't bring myself to invest time understanding P5's workflow, even though I could see enough of the similarity and difference to be intrigued. Thankfully, I can also use Nuendo and have both Reason and VSTs, and not feel like I have to sacrifice one for the other. Plus the exposure to a hardware model, even virtually, made me a lot more willing to investigate hardware options, ending up with the hybrid setup I use now.

I'm not trying to discredit boddum_feeder's post at all, I should point out; I totally agree with his assessment of the interfaces of the two sequencers. But each of these interfaces will click differently with different people, which is why it's always so hard to advise people on what's the best place for them to start :)

Back