On Average about How much hard drive space does a VST take?

W

wiseguyzent

Whatsup everybody..I'm considering going from hardware to software and I was wondering what kind of PC space I was going to need to have a good amount of VSTs..If you had to make an estimate about how much space does each VST take up?

Thanks,

Grossi.

The actual plugins are pretty small - from couple of hundred kb's to a couple of megs. Obviously sample-based plugins' libraries can take up way more than that.

yeah cuz I'm totally new to this aspect of production, my buddy has got the Arturia Moog Modular and he said it only takes up about 20 megs of space, do the plugins not come with sounds or something?..im confused haha

Hi, in that case the arturia minimoog doesnt has sounds no, it works like an analog synthesizer and create the sounds depending on the parameters you set.

Anyway, basic vsts usually takes around 10 to say 200 mb.

But if you want vsts based on samples they are more from 1gb to 20/30 gb and some big libraries can be 60 gb.

you can always get a 2nd/3rd/4th hard drive too. If you can afford enough VSTs to fill them up, you should be able to afford more hard drives.

its not about how big it is in Mb, but how much it taxes on the CPU... RAM... Big Romplers of 20 gigas might be lighter than a simple convulsion reverb effect plugin,..
so it really adds up on how good the programming of the dsp resources are on the plugin developer part. size in megabytes of the actual plugin means nothing.#

as for the average size of every vst plugin i would say 107 mb

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find quality vst's that are under 20 Mbs.
But it's the sample based stuff that can fill up your hard drive.

fantomclone said:
Hi, in that case the arturia minimoog doesnt has sounds no, it works like an analog synthesizer and create the sounds depending on the parameters you set.

Anyway, basic vsts usually takes around 10 to say 200 mb.

But if you want vsts based on samples they are more from 1gb to 20/30 gb and some big libraries can be 60 gb.

what are some other good sample based vsts besides ew symphon orch?
i been lookin and just wondered if sombody had experience with somthing nice before i drop some money on it....

DWreck ThE VirUS said:
what are some other good sample based vsts besides ew symphon orch?
i been lookin and just wondered if sombody had experience with somthing nice before i drop some money on it....
I'd definitely recommend Native Instruments Kontakt - best sampler VSTi out IMO.

quick question..if I move my vst's to another drive in my computer will they still show up in pro-tools since it's the same computer(mac)?

You would have to change the VST search directory (although I'm not exactly sure how you're using VSTs in Pro Tools to begin with unless you're using a VST-RTAS converter).

Back