64 bit vista and Plugins

BigMagic

WHuddup fam. I haven't been on the forums for awhile. I've actually been producing and getting my $$$ right. Anywayz, here's my question:

I recently purchased a new PC with a 9150e quad core processor w 4GB of ram. I run a old version of Nuendo( I know I should upgrade but we're in a recession and New version of Nuendo isnt cheap, not to mention I'm comfortable with my current workflow) Reason 3.0 and I have the waves diamond Bundle and Master Bundle. Well when I re-install everything Nuendo loads, Reason loads, Waves load, but when I open Nuendo, the Plugins don't work except for a few. I did do some research before posting, and I realized that waves hasn't updated to 64bit yet... so Is there any workaround, or am I gonna have to downgrade to a 32 bit version to use my plugins?

thats why im waiting till next year before i upgrade.

but i think that it might work if your running a 32 bit host app check this out

www . gearslutz . com/board/music-computers/377668-vista-64bit-cubase-32bit-waves-compatible.html

well if what you're saying is true, then it should be working... Nuendo is my host app., so it's 32 bit, but the Plugs dont work... Any other suggestions

BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE DOWNGRADING.

I just did it with Vista64 < Windows XP 32
Things have gotten seriously ugly. I was on a quad core as well that was built with a 64 bit processor and obviously running vista 64. You may not have the issues I have had, since your saying that you just want to downgrade vista 64 to 32 where as I went to another OS and changed the bit rate. Either way do your research first, or find out the hardway like I did.

Also most computer heads wont be a perfect source of info on this subject because they typically use programs that are not as picky as music software, so while they may say yes its possible - they are only thinking about microsoft office, and programs like that being able to run, but as you know music software is a whole 'nother beast. So again research it.

Hit gearsluts or sweetwater websites to get the true real deal answers. Im still fighting my computer since i made the switch myself. So be careful. Its a pain......

I am also on Vista 64, but using Live 8 and Samplitude. All my 32bit plugins seem to be working so far. I just had to make sure that I installed them to c:\Program Files (x86)\ and not c:\Program Files since they require the 32bit libraries in Windows to run still.

if u downgrade...downgrade to the xp 64 bit version(u have to use that version because of compatibility with your processor and motherboard)....that will run the 32 bit software with no problem and will also run the 64 bit apps when they come out....unless im mistaken...there is no 32 bit version of vista....for 32 bit OS go to xp pro......also....vista will be like ME...after 7 comes out they wont support it anymore(they are already beta testing 7)....

there is no reason to upgrade to 64 bit if u dont have the processor and motherboard to handle it...there is also no reason to do it if u dont have 64 bit software....

my advice would be to wait to do any upgrades...and if u must get a new pc...get a copy of xp pro....if u buy a laptop with vista preloaded...u might be outta luck because there might not be any xp drivers for the hardware....research before u buy.....if u still get the laptop...make sure u make a recovery disk as soon as u take it out of the packaging.....

if anybody is in the philly area....hit me up...i can do upgrades/ downgrades and ill give u an FP discount....

Last edited:
Vista does come in 32 and 64 bit versions. I run Vista home and I'm positive that one is 32. I would try running Nuendo in compatibility mode for XP and see if that changes anything. You can get there by right clicking. I thought about running 64 about a year ago but decided against because everywhere I looked I saw people running into problems with both software and at the time audio drivers.

My recommendation is to steer clear of XP 64, it was poorly implemented and lacks a lot of drivers and has a lot of problems. Vista 64 has drivers for almost everything now and has had no problems running 32bit apps for me.

t dub...u are right...there is a 32 bit version...but i would say avoid vista if u can...if u already have it and have it working...then u dont have an issue...but right now...it's not the OS to be on...

t dub...u are right...there is a 32 bit version...but i would say avoid vista if u can...if u already have it and have it working...then u dont have an issue...but right now...it's not the OS to be on...

Compared to XP, I think Vista is a better option. I think a lot of the horror stories about it are from not setting it up properly for pro audio. Though, if you're on an older machine with XP it might be worth waiting for Windows 7 later this year rather than upgrading now.

I wouldn't go that far bruh. All of the software manufacturers have made sure their stuff is Vista compatible. If you're in 64bit that's a whole different story. Only so many vendors have 64bit support. It's not in high demand right now so if you wanna operate in a 64bit environment you have a limited selection of hardware and VST's that will truly operate in 64. IMHO it's not even necessary and may be something for the future as in 2 to 3 years from now. With home setups you're not missing out on anything, go with what you know.

Things will work...as the vendors support it now...but in about a years time not even microsoft will be supporting it...so what do u think those vendors are gonna do?..if its working...no problem...but if u run into problems its gonna be hell to fix in a minute...also...vista is not tweak friendly...I an effort to make it idiot proof they took away some of the things u can do to optimize your system even. If u are logged on as an qadministrator...so while its workable...I'm just speaking on the pitfalls...and keep in mind...I'm coming from a general computing perspective...not necessarily a music specific one

Back