A Question About NN-19 Digital Sampler

Olliepm

This is a question I asked on a different forum called reasonfreaks. 180 views and no replies, sadly. I hope you guys can do better!

Just before I get to the question, I'd like to mention that my knowledge of Reason and production is pretty eclectic, and I get by mainly on what I figured out for myself, so try to answer to me as you would to an idiot child, just to be on the safe side!

Okay, I have a short sample voice clip that I opened in NN-19 after clicking 'Initialize Patch', and when I play each note on my MIDI keyboard, the sample is played back to me in various pitches. My problem is that with the different pitches, the speed of sample playback is also affected. In other words If I play middle C for the original pitch and then play the C one octave below, the latter takes longer to finish. I want to be able to play chords with the sample but with the words being in sync with each other. So does anyone know how I can have each note on the keyboard play the sample at a different pitch, but without affecting the tempo/speed of playback?

I am a sample noob. This was my first time using NN-19, just to make things more difficult...

Last edited:
What you're describing is called timestretching, but there's no such option in either the NN-19 or the NN-XT. You might try looping the samples - the oldskool samplerist way of sustaining short samples is to find a part in the sample that, well, sustains, and then have the sampler loop that while you hold the key. But depends on the sample whether or not this'll work or sound natural.

Yeah.... what you're describing is actually not as easy as you may think to accomplish... especially in Reason. I haven't used Reason since v4, so i'm not certain there's an easy way to do this.

The best way i've found to easily do this is to change the pitch of the sample.. either with a pitch shifter plugin like QuikQuak pitch wheel, Waves soundshifter, or Melodyne.

Doesn't Reason have a pitch shifter now? I think it's Neptune if I hear correctly? That might be an easy way to do it.

sounds like your trying to change the pitch of the samples while keeping the sample the same length... maybe you could use audacity,
1-trim the sample to the leangth you want,
2-then apply the effect 'change pitch not tempo',
3-change it up or down as you want, one semitone at a time
4-repeat until you have as many samples as you do keys
5-load them as individual samples

I dunno, would that work?

As far as I know you can't do that in Reason. Albeton allows you to change the pitch of samples without affecting the speed. Didn't know Audacity could do that - maybe your better bet as it's free!

AT Krushing I can successfully use a sustained part of the sample on a loop to make chords with, but It was important to me to have the complete words. E.g a sample of Mr Burns saying 'Release the hounds', with each note played on the keyboard triggering the sample to be played in whatever pitch the key was, and when a chord is played, the phrase becomes a sort of barber shop harmony. Still, I will investigate this 'timestretching'. Thanks for the reply =]

AT CPhoenix I'm currently on version 5, but hopefully buying version 6 soon. Until then, I won't have Neptune or any vst capabilities. Thanks for your reply =]

AT dtj I love how you explained what I mean in such a user friendly way, while I milked the crap out of it on two separate forums.
I figured I'd be able to use Audacity if not as a last resort, but I just a have strong feeling there's a more professional way around it.

AT mfs As above, but also I've tried Cubase, Pro Tools, and Reason so far, and I enjoy Reason so much more than the others that I've decided to bypass Ableton entirely. I just can't be bothered learning another piece of software.

To be honest, It's not that important to me but when there's something I'd like to do in Reason, and I know it's possible, but I don't know how, it drives me up the wall and forces me to use too many commas in this sentence.

You are doing this the wrong way. Use Neptune or just load the audio in a track and adjust the pitch and it will still play on time with the new timestretching that is in Reason 6.

Back