Problems with ASIO driver on FL Studio 11

-/-

The Asio driver is AWESOME. Kills all crackling/underuns and reduces buffer size very significantly. But it disables all other computer sounds like internet; if i open Fruity Loops as a Youtube Vid is playing for example, FL will just crash and I have to force quit it. Is there a way to link this to my actual computer audio?? Please help me out bros this is an annoying problem as its getting in the way of my workflow. Thanks

I'm having the exact same problem. Could you please help me out too?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit.

im thinking we should probably contact imageline about this. im sure it has to do with configuring some shiit in the ASIO driver menu or something...maybe you cant have 2 different audio outputs in the same computer?? but im really getting lost wit all this technical stuff im good with composition and beats lol

for both of you - your asio driver is for what interface?

I sk this because ASIO is interface specific unless you are using asio4all in which case you are using the onboard soundcard.

In any event the issue is not with fl, but with the os and the interface/soundcard

for both of you - your asio driver is for what interface?

I sk this because ASIO is interface specific unless you are using asio4all in which case you are using the onboard soundcard.

In any event the issue is not with fl, but with the os and the interface/soundcard

By interface you mean daw, right? Im using Fl studio 10, asio4all V2, I don't have a soundcard atm, just using the stock one. Is that the problem, not having an aftermarket soundcard? Will any new soundcard work, or does it have to be specfic?

Last edited:
no soundcard im using asio for all. should i invest in an interface? because i dont do any recording or midi-cable work its all usb connections on my computer. It seems like when i enable asio it accesses a whole new sound output rather than "Primary Sound Driver"

no soundcard im using asio for all. should i invest in an interface? because i dont do any recording or midi-cable work its all usb connections on my computer. It seems like when i enable asio it accesses a whole new sound output rather than "Primary Sound Driver"

Ah, you don't have a soundcard either.. I believe that's the problem:victory:
What are you using instead of a daw/interface?
But, I suppose we should wait for Bandcoach's response.

language lesson

interface is something that connects one medium to another by converting from one format to another - a daw is not an interface by this definition, as it uses other devices to generate sound

asio4all is a generic driver for providing asio functionality between your daw and your computer

I do not use asio4all or fl, so defer to those with more hands on experience of troubleshooting this particular problem.

of note, though, is this a frequent question (though not so many about fl11 sofar) - so use search and use the terms "asio fl audio setup"

language lesson

interface is something that connects one medium to another by converting from one format to another - a daw is not an interface by this definition, as it uses other devices to generate sound

asio4all is a generic driver for providing asio functionality between your daw and your computer

I do not use asio4all or fl, so defer to those with more hands on experience of troubleshooting this particular problem.

of note, though, is this a frequent question (though not so many about fl11 sofar) - so use search and use the terms "asio fl audio setup"

Appreciate the knowledge and the point in the right direction. Thanks.

Edit: That was supposed to be fl 10, my bad.

Last edited:
language lesson

I'll pick up the alley-oop.

As bandcoach mentioned, ASIO4All is a generic driver.
Specifically, ASIO4All is a ASIO wrapper around the low-performance WDM drivers for your onboard soundcard -- as such, it's an emulation rather than a true ASIO driver.

WDM drivers (Your "Primary Sound Driver" in FL) have to go through several layers of Windows APIs to deliver the audio (Tell Windows to make the sound, Windows passes the request to a driver stack, Windows mixer mixes it in with other audio, etc.).

ASIO drivers, on the other hand, provide a hardware-level link between the soundcard and the audio software. In order to provide this hardware-level link, the Windows Mixer must be bypassed. ASIO drivers allow for only one application to control the sound card (like how DirectX gives a game direct control over your video card -- ASIO is basically the audio equivalent of DirectX).

Some native (not emulated!) ASIO drivers have a feature commonly known as "Multi-client mixing" which allows for ASIO streams and Windows Mixer streams to co-exist. This feature exists only on some native drivers because it relies on several "virtual soundcards" which exist on the physical soundcard whose audio is mixed together before reaching your speakers. Each of these "virtual soundcards" can still have only one program accessing it at a time.
For example, one "virtual soundcard" might have FL Studio assigned to it through ASIO, another "virtual soundcard" has the Windows Mixer assigned to it through WDM, yet another "virtual soundcard" might be playing a video game's audio back through DirectX, etc.

RME and Echo have Multi-Client ASIO drivers. I think that Native Instruments audio interfaces provide Multi-Client drivers, as well (Not sure on this one, though. Trying to go off of memory).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I'll pick up the alley-oop.

As bandcoach mentioned, ASIO4All is a generic driver.
Specifically, ASIO4All is a ASIO wrapper around the low-performance WDM drivers for your onboard soundcard -- as such, it's an emulation rather than a true ASIO driver.

WDM drivers (Your "Primary Sound Driver" in FL) have to go through several layers of Windows APIs to deliver the audio (Tell Windows to make the sound, Windows passes the request to a driver stack, Windows mixer mixes it in with other audio, etc.).

ASIO drivers, on the other hand, provide a hardware-level link between the soundcard and the audio software. In order to provide this hardware-level link, the Windows Mixer must be bypassed. ASIO drivers allow for only one application to control the sound card (like how DirectX gives a game direct control over your video card -- ASIO is basically the audio equivalent of DirectX).

Some native (not emulated!) ASIO drivers have a feature commonly known as "Multi-client mixing" which allows for ASIO streams and Windows Mixer streams to co-exist. This feature exists only on some native drivers because it relies on several "virtual soundcards" which exist on the physical soundcard whose audio is mixed together before reaching your speakers. Each of these "virtual soundcards" can still have only one program accessing it at a time.
For example, one "virtual soundcard" might have FL Studio assigned to it through ASIO, another "virtual soundcard" has the Windows Mixer assigned to it through WDM, yet another "virtual soundcard" might be playing a video game's audio back through DirectX, etc.

RME and Echo have Multi-Client ASIO drivers. I think that Native Instruments audio interfaces provide Multi-Client drivers, as well (Not sure on this one, though. Trying to go off of memory).

-Ki
Salem Beats

Awesome post, thank you.
RME and Echo, what price bracket are their cards? I'm at pretty small budget so I might have to look for one of the Multi-Client drivers instead.

Edit: Yuup, out of my price range..

Edit2: I think I found something happy beats.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339969&site_id=1#import

I'm gonna try it out.

Last edited:
Awesome post, thank you.
RME and Echo, what price bracket are their cards? I'm at pretty small budget so I might have to look for one of the Multi-Client drivers instead.

Edit: Yuup, out of my price range..

Edit2: I think I found something happy beats.

Support for using ASIO with multiple programs at once - PG Music Forums

I'm gonna try it out.

I would think that would enable multiple ASIO streams (from multiple ASIO-compatible applications), but won't enable your WDM "Windows Mixer" stream for the rest of your software.

Let me know if it works, though!

Keep in mind that RME and Echo are not the only manufacturers which provide Multi-Client ASIO drivers -- they're just the last two I've used, and I can tell you from personal experience that they're Multi-Client. ;)
You might still find a manufacturer in your price range.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I would think that would enable multiple ASIO streams (from multiple ASIO-compatible applications), but won't enable your WDM "Windows Mixer" stream for the rest of your software.

Let me know if it works, though!

Keep in mind that RME and Echo are not the only manufacturers which provide Multi-Client ASIO drivers -- they're just the last two I've used, and I can tell you from personal experience that they're Multi-Client. ;)
You might still find a manufacturer in your price range.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You were right, doesn't work.:cry:

Soo would you happen to know other manufacaturers that provide Multi-client asio drivers?

You were right, doesn't work.:cry:

Soo would you happen to know other manufacaturers that provide Multi-client asio drivers?

If you read my initial post, you'll see that I mentioned Native Instruments. ;)

You can pick up one of these for $99, and all indications point to it being multi-client (My brother's NI audio interface is multi-client, and someone told me they all share the same multi-client features):

http://www.native-instruments.com/e...io-interfaces/traktor-audio-2/specifications/

Cirrus Logic converters, 101dbA dynamic range, and solid driver support from NI -- can't beat that for $99. If I was scrounging for change, that's what I would get.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
If you read my initial post, you'll see that I mentioned Native Instruments. ;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

Okay I'm browsing their products, but I don't think Native Instruments makes soundcards.
I searched for soundcards and the only thing that came up was which soundcard is needed to setup traktor dj studio. Is multi-channel the same as muliti-client?
They list off many external multi-channel soundcards such as:
Echo Indigo DJ (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X, plus MIDI)
M-Audio Quattro (4 In/4 Out, ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Digiram VXPocket 440 (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Motu Traveler (Firewire, ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac OS X)
Motu 828 (Firewire, ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Echo Layla24, Mona or Gina plus extra PCMCIA adapter (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Audiotrak Maya44 usb
Terratec Phase 26 USB
Edirol FA-101
ESI Gigaport AG (USB - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
ESI Aqua U24M (USB - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac OS X)

I'm assuming the external cards will be more expensive though.
They do list off internal cards too.

Here are the internal card producers:
Aardvark, Audiotrak, Creamware, Creative, Digidesign, Digigram, Echo, Edirol, Ego-Sys (ESI), Emagic, Emu, Frontier Design Group, Gadget Labs, Hoontech, Korg, Lynx, M-Audio, MOTU, RME, SEK'D, Sonorus, Terratec.

And the page I grabbed the info off of:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=traktorsetup2&L=1&rdrctd=

Last edited:
Okay I'm browsing their products, but I don't think Native Instruments makes soundcards.
I searched for soundcards and the only thing that came up was which soundcard is needed to setup traktor dj studio.
They list off many external multi-channel soundcards such as:
Echo Indigo DJ (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X, plus MIDI)
M-Audio Quattro (4 In/4 Out, ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Digiram VXPocket 440 (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Motu Traveler (Firewire, ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac OS X)
Motu 828 (Firewire, ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Echo Layla24, Mona or Gina plus extra PCMCIA adapter (PCMCIA - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
Audiotrak Maya44 usb
Terratec Phase 26 USB
Edirol FA-101
ESI Gigaport AG (USB - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac, Mac OS X)
ESI Aqua U24M (USB - ASIO 2.0, Win, Mac OS X)

I'm assuming the external cards will be more expensive though.
They do list off internal cards too, though they don't state if they are "multi-channel". Is multi-channel the same as muliti-client?

Here are the internal card producers:
Aardvark, Audiotrak, Creamware, Creative, Digidesign, Digigram, Echo, Edirol, Ego-Sys (ESI), Emagic, Emu, Frontier Design Group, Gadget Labs, Hoontech, Korg, Lynx, M-Audio, MOTU, RME, SEK'D, Sonorus, Terratec.

Read my edited post, and click the link.

And yes, NI makes a few different lines of soundcards -- they are some of the most reliable in the business. They include the Komplete, Traktor, and Guitar Rig lines.

;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
You can pick up one of these for $99, and all indications point to it being multi-client (My brother's NI audio interface is multi-client, and someone told me they all share the same multi-client features):

Traktor : Dj Audio Interfaces : Traktor Audio 2 : Specifications | Products

Cirrus Logic converters, 101dbA dynamic range, and solid driver support from NI -- can't beat that for $99. If I was scrounging for change, that's what I would get.

-Ki
Salem Beats

That someone better be reliable! :p
The germans do make good stuff.
So I just plug it in via usb and it acts as my soundcard?

That someone better be reliable! :p
The germans do make good stuff.
So I just plug it in via usb and it acts as my soundcard?

Yup.

Install the ASIO drivers,
hook it in,
make sure that Windows is set to use it (in the "Sounds" settings of the Control Panel),
and make sure FL (or whatever DAW you're using) is set to use it (Make sure to select the version of the driver listed under "ASIO Devices" rather than "DirectSound Devices").

Simple as that.

The Germans make Cubase, the VST standard, the ASIO standard, Ableton Live, RME audio interfaces, and all of the NI stuff. Suffice to say that Germany is the heart of the computer-based workflow.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back