Post Your #1 Software Product - What Would You Take On A Desert Island?

Salem Beats

Ki from Salem-Beats.com
Hey guys, figured I'd make a thread where everyone can recommend only ONE software product, and describe why.

RULES:
- Software only.
- Bundles are allowed.

For me, it's Native Instruments Komplete.
It's my "desert island" toolkit -- if I had nothing else, I could still make great music.

What's yours?

-Ki
Salem Beats

theres no doubt about it I love GTR3 for realistic guitars. Man, "man", its awesome. I dare say I think they made it better than the originals amps.

This thing can do anything from blues to metal to country and back. Awesome variety, all realistic. All better than original and pumped up, (beefed up) the cabinets wont blow.

All I can say is GTR3 has the technology.

theres no doubt about it I love GTR3 for realistic guitars. Man, "man", its awesome. I dare say I think they made it better than the originals amps.

This thing can do anything from blues to metal to country and back. Awesome variety, all realistic. All better than original and pumped up, (beefed up) the cabinets wont blow.

All I can say is GTR3 has the technology.

I definitely enjoyed using the demo,
but it's just weird to see someone recommend it
because it gets drowned out by Amplitube and Guitar Rig in the marketplace.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Hmm.. its hard to debate Komplete Ultimate 9 would be the best all around best bundle available.. then, if I was allowed to only pick a DAW it would be Logic Pro X because well, it has a vast sound library, 100 excellent plug-ins, etc.

Maybe a more interesting question is.. if you could only have 4 plug-ins (2 instruments, 2 effects, for example) which would you pick?

Mine..
1- Battery, 2- Reaktor (make your own plug-ins)
3- Room (Valhalla DSP), 4- H3000 Factory (Eventide)

I was tempted to swap Battery with Camel Audio Alchemy..

Hmm, I think including big-ass bundles makes this a bit boring, no offense. Something like Komplete should be more than enough even without the desert island scenario. But anyway...I'd probably take Bazille.

I would take Cubase 7.5 with me. Not much use for anything else without the DAW. I understand the paradox there because only the DAW itself isn't much use either without the hardware.. But still!

If I were to exclude the DAW like mentioned before I would take.. the all-mighty Zebra.

Last edited:
I am, metaphorically, on a desert island.

I own 1 synth. It's synthmaster and imo, it's more powerful than massive.

Komplete and other bundles don't count. I'd kill for even a real daw's stock plugins- I use reaper.

I am, metaphorically, on a desert island.

I own 1 synth. It's synthmaster and imo, it's more powerful than massive.

Komplete and other bundles don't count. I'd kill for even a real daw's stock plugins- I use reaper.

I tried Synthmaster back when it was hyped up, but I didn't like the interface.
It has great presets, but the workflow sucked for creating new sounds from scratch (and I already have Z3TA+ 2, Sylenth, Massive, and a few others).

I use REAPER, too! Try out the JS plugins.
I've used quite a few on paid projects that clients were impressed with!
They look ugly, so you have to be careful of the common effect where you associate a plugin's GUI with its sound quality.
If you close your eyes when you use them and adjust parameters, you might be surprised by some of the sounds you get.
Some of the JS are developed by major plugin developers like Schwa. ;)

-Ki
Salem Beats

I know reacomp, Reaeq and reaxcomp are very nice.

A lot of the other plugins are hindered a lot by really basic things... Like no log scaling on readelay, the frequency splitters or ring modulator, which makes them very fiddly.

Still, I keep getting surprises. I found the stillwell louderizer the other day, and I was searching for a free vocoder with custom carrier and modulator inputs for a while until I noticed the reaper stock vocoder does just that.

I learned on synthmaster and so far the only complaint I have is the inability to easily see how much modulation envelopes are applying and the temperamental nature of any audio input- not that I need the audio input ever. It's more powerful in every way than massive.

I would recommend changing the stock saw square and triangle from moog waveforms to perfect digital ones though.

Last edited:
Back